Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#36371 04/30/03 12:10 AM
Administrator
Administrator

My results have been posted throughout the forum. I've activated the contents of books using only the photoreading step. Preview = a note of the title and possible content. In bookshops have walked away explaining what the book was about after only photoreading it. I helped write an assignment without activating the book. Letting the information from the book come to my conscious mind in answer to the questions posed.

The photoreading step helped me slice through a foreign language text. Rather than having to read and understand each word I was able to read for ideas and concepts.

When hooked up an IVBA during the photoreading stage there is a distinctive brainwave pattern. Paul Scheele had hooked up members of his photoreading class to let them see their brainwave pattern on a computer screen. The seminar attendees were able to witness this on the screen. The pattern was consistant.

The faith that one can benefit from photoreading is the same faith one uses for breaking boards with their bare hands, walking on hot coal, in ones ability to swim or ride a bike. It's the same faith one must apply to learning to drive, fly a plane or hang gliding. It's that faith that enables one to do well in one subject in school and fail miserably in others. Until we've gained confidence or the habit of doing something different we need to apply a personal faith in our ability. That is usually learning the steps and applying them till they become automatic.

The placebo effect is handy when the mind can convince the body to heal using the body.

How much more damning is the placebo effect if the mind can convince the mind that it can function better by just spending 3 to 7 minutes preparing and getting into a 'can do' state?

By spending 3 to 7 minutes photoreading a book I have walked away knowing more of the content of a book in a total of 20 minutes (that includes the photoreading time), than I have managed to gain in an hour without the photoreading step.

Perhaps the question should be is photoreading the placebo or are preview/postview, manual activation the real placebos?

Alex

#36372 04/30/03 01:51 AM

Excellent reply from Alex!

#36373 04/30/03 02:34 AM

Question on that IVBA...

Can that possiblity turn your trust in PRing down? As to one who believes he is doing PRing or correctly. Sees that he isn't even in alpha state when PRing, but gets the same results... would that turn into more damnation if one was to find out? Ignorance=bliss? Down side to my PRing is that I hate to notice my emotions because I tend to fear then, and by that I miss a lot of "signals" I guess... But I am seeing books connect, and yes, ideas go AHA! all the time anyways just by knowing and thinking...

Placebo... I PRed my lit book like 5times, try to activate some stuff, yes, I understood it, but quiz comes, I fail it miserably, same with most of my classes... What's up with that? I dipped, I read.

Chang

#36374 04/30/03 02:43 AM

I meant, obivously, the results with a larger group of people than yourself, people who may or may not share your self-styled faith in PRing. Yes, the "placebo effect", as applicable, may be in the other steps, which I already indicated. Along with that the true effect of PRing, as compared to SQ3R, our original question, may be in those other steps, rendering it useless. I'm sorry but one person does not demonstrate otherwise. I know your reaction will be what about all the other people practicing PRing, well, what about the thousands of people who have benefitted similarly using SQ3R and other methods. To reiterate for the thousandth time, this doesn't mean I'm a priori against PRing. I use it myself. What it means is that we haven't yet done enough controlled research to demonstrate how it works and where, and that would include the question of the benefit of the PRing step. Nothing you just said changes that, I'm sorry.
Furthermore, what is this IVBA. I have researched electroencepholagraphy and not once heard of the IVBA. Where can one view these results and what is this specific pattern? furthermore, can one use this specific pattern to verify any effectiveness, presumably resulting from the proper performance of the PR step itself? An intriguing question. As I said: brainwaves do not, in themselves, tell us much beyond what gross region in the brain has been activated and to what degree, and with what tentative qualities.

KO "Busily Hammering The Idols"

P.S. Chang, you really annoy me. Few of your posts make any sense. I asked an honest question and you resorted to calling me racist, unless that was a poorly-disguised joke. Does any information in the Veda's actually show ancient chinese scribes using PRing or a similar technique, and where can I find this? I really want to know.

#36375 04/30/03 04:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kristoff Olafsson:

P.S. Chang, you really annoy me. Few of your posts make any sense. I asked an honest question and you resorted to calling me racist, unless that was a poorly-disguised joke. Does any information in the Veda's actually show ancient chinese scribes using PRing or a similar technique, and where can I find this? I really want to know.

That's true. Most of his posts have nothing to do with the topic. It 'fuses me.

-youngprer

#36376 05/01/03 05:51 AM
Administrator
Administrator

I'd like to throw in an idea to consider.

The discussion thread regarding the benefits of the PhotoReading whole mind system needs to be separated from the the discussion of testing the PhotoReading step itself. Here's why:

The course is designed to load the participant with a MEGA dose of interventions in one's reading pattern. Posture alone has shown to influence reading speed and comprehension. One's positive internal dialog regarding comprehension has shown to improve comprehension significantly. In fact, every component of the program is used because of it's benefit. Name it: establish purpose, establish state, preview, rhythmic perusal, etc, etc, etc...they all have one intent; intervene in a person's reading process to offer better options, that use multiple intelligences and more of the whole mind.

In that regard, there is nothing contained in SQ3R that isn't reproduced in some fashion in the PhotoReading whole mind system.

My contention is that the PhotoReading step is THE paradigm shift to a new way of processing vast amounts of written data in less time. The paradigm shifts because the very act of PhotoReading affirms two things:
1) I have a preconscious processor
2) I have nonconscious resources that can serve me in acquiring information at a conscious level

It follows that it would be fruitless to PhotoRead and deny 1 & 2. So the operating presupposition of the course rests on research that indicates both 1 & 2 are true for anyone.

Now, how about testing the efficacy of the PhotoReading step?

There are plenty of good ideas on how to do that. Unfortunately AdamP's is not one. Any PhotoReader who picks up a book is going to know by feel of pages, images of the structure of pages, chapters, characters, bolds, etc. that one book is different than another. There is NO WAY that a graduate of PhotoReading could be deceived into activating a book that they didn't PhotoRead.

In fact, for years we covered up books and PhotoRead them upside down and backwards. The affective impact of the experience was so dramatic that most of the class participants could immediately distinguish between the books purely on the basis of emotional content.

Hence, the design of AdamPs experiment is poor.

As to the IBVA...you can find out more about the technology at www.IBVA.com

I don't think it proves PhotoReading. We are intrigued by the fact that all PhotoReaders show a similar brainwave signature when hooked up to the machine. We found it was not an Alpha state, but a state characterized by increased amplitudes in low Beta and high Theta frequencies. Additionally, it was fascinating to find that the major driver of the signature was the PhotoFocus state, not the physical relaxation of the PhotoReader.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved