Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi,

I'm trying to photoread (I bought the book), and I get confused on how I'm supposed to perform all of the steps. I preview the book, and look through the book I'm trying to photoread, and pulling out key words (chapter titles, and anything that keeps popping up) and I end up with a very small mind map (I got that part from the video)

I then try to photoread the book, and then do I then post read or do I try to add on to my existing mind map?

I have a ton of books that I want to get through, so I really want this to work.

Help!

Thanks!

Administrator
Administrator

There is a mind map on page 146 of the book and page 147 gives a summary of all the step. Follow that sequence and you'll be fine.

Mind maps are a personal thing some will add to their intial mind map (if they even draw one at that point). I prefer to mind map after each activation pass.

Alex

Tons, how many? How difficult? How much detail and what level of understanding? Good enough to participate in a seminar or good enough to know the traits of the main character?

OP Offline

Tons, how many? How difficult? How much detail and what level of understanding? Good enough to participate in a seminar or good enough to know the traits of the main character?

- Over 50 (400 + pages each) textbook material. I want to have the ability to participate in a discussion (with a very good understanding - as if I was going to get quizzed on everything)

Comp manuals + language programming right? shouldn't be too bad.

Administrator
Administrator

If they are textbooks you might want to treat each chapter as a book when activating it so you might wind up with mind maps for each chapter subject, rather than one oversized cluttered mind map trying to cover all the different parts.

Alex

This is for BeginningPRer001 - I want to add something that may be helpful. I have used this with a lot of students who were studying for their exams. I also use this technique myself (I am a PhotoReading instructor).

You need to decide what level of knowledge you want to have for your meeting, what kind of topic subjects you want to speak about. You are coming acropper I think because you have not defined clearly enough in the PREPARE and PREVIEW stage what your outcome is and how much detail you want. Most students don't phrase this clearly enough and I have to make them change the phrasing of their outcome to get it to be more helpful.

It is important to get a sense of how many topics you want to cover from your book. If it is 400 pages, consider in your preparation briefly how this breaks down when you look at the contents page and ask yourself briefly what areas you will need to focus on quite deeply in order to be able to speak powerfully in your meeting.

My suggestion is that you do a mindmap of the whole book, showing the main chapter headings on each of the big branches, and then do one mini mindmap on each chapter or section of the book. Number the branches and number your mindmaps accordingly Then staple them together in sequence. Each batch of mindmaps relates to one book. Or you can do a massive mindmap using fine felt tips on a very large piece of paper. Stick this on the back of your bedroom door and keep adding to it as you walk in and out of the room over a few days (long activation technique, but very creative and free-thinking so lots of fun). Then spend an hour looking at it, and talking through it to yourself, have a cup of tea to make this go nicely. Be cool!

When you have done several books, you can put your main topic that they share in the centre of a fresh mindmap, and put the titles of each book on its own branch and then in between each main branch write the themes they share and ideas that you have. Keep making connections in this way over a few hours or days. Have some fun with this. Your brain will reward you with some neat thinking in your meeting!

Blessings and best wishes.

Wow, great advice 'Flying Heart'!!

However, one little tidbit.

This thread and post of 'Beginning PRer001' is a mere 7 years past, old and cold no doubt.

cool

Hi Yukala,

Thanks for your note.

Regarding the date, I understand where you are coming from, but the point is that this is now on the website for others to read - as you did. If, as I do, and clearly you do too, others dip in and out of older blogs, then they will see this, and so hopefully gain from it. :-)

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved