Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

And you are proud of this achievement? Why did you develope a bad PRing habbit?

Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline

Yesterday, I was PR'ing a fiction book. As I was PR'ing it--even though I was relaxed, I was thinking about my friend's mom who is only 28 or 29. I casually dismissed the thought and tried to focus again.

I then started Rapid Reading the book, and--lo, and behold, on the third page it describes a 28 year-old woman.

Then, I took a break and I thought it would be cool to see a movie of the book (like IS'ing but no describing). I saw a really short movie with two things steps and a fire and a person running to put out the fire.

A few pages later, sure enough, there is a fire under the train. This does work!

Keep going everyone, because THIS DOES WORK!

Cool story Arthur. Chang my story goes to show that PR is a study method like any other--being too lazy to read normally yields the same results as being too lazy to read at lightning speed.

I've said this before, but I figure it's appropriate to restate.

PRing is a tool like any other tool. It helps you read more efficiently. How you use it depends on your habits.

Unfortunately, a large portion of people enticed by PRing are procrastinators (I know I am.) Procrastinators, of course, are going to be turned on to the idea of a program that lets them rip through books, because we all remember a time where we had to study or read something at the last minute.

The habit of procrastination in the realm of photoreading would go something like this: If you procrastinated before PRing, you probably studied the night before a final. If you procrastinate after PRing, you'll study hours before; in fact, because PRing works better when you're relaxed, the stress of "the final hour" will most likely screw you up big time.

I procrastinate as bad as the next guy, because I have bad study habits (at least when it comes to school).

I would recommend using the "Get to It" paralminal, although as sad as this is, I've bought it, tried it, it worked, and then I've procrastinated on using it again.

That's right, I'm procrastinating on my procrastination paraliminal tape.

It did help when I used it, though, last year; I retook one class I failed in the year before and got an A last semester in the same class.

Anyway, I guess my point is that if you procrastinate, PRing isn't the solution, it's still just a tool. How you use it depends on your study habits.

-Ramon

PS - I hope that doesn't sound preachy; like I said, I'm a horrible procrastinator myself. I'm not critiquing anybody, just figured I'd mention it again because the thread seemed appropriate.

Had this thought on procrastination the other day:
I would never put work off if it gave to someone else the amount of hassle and stress it gives to me.

So go on, be nice to yourself and work hard!
Nick

My ideology is that there was too much wasted, thus I cannot afford to lose anymore.

Back to image streaming: The problem I have is that once I know what a book is about, it's hard to get an unbiased image stream. I'll see things that I know are in the book just from previewing and then try to make up stuff around that. How do you combat that Arthur? Freenoting would have the same problem, though I haven't tried.

Administrator
Administrator

Try skipping the preview altogether and attempt an image stream before the postview.

Notice also any feelings that the book provokes in you. This can help to kick start the image stream.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved