Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline

Just for the heck of it, today I was looking at the side of a Happy Meal bag (not mine, my little bro's), anyway, it had one of those sentences that needs to be rearranged. It was "go the to let's beach" supposed to be "let's go to the beach."

What was surprizing though, is that when I read it I read it the CORRECT way, unconsciously sorting it out. It took me some time to see that it was, in fact, disarranged!

I have also noticed for a long time now, that occasionally, when I'll be walking by, or my eye darting around, a little line on a cereal box, for example, will pop into my head. I'll search around and eventually find where I read it--I can actually read things without reading them!

Just want some feedback and to encourage you.

Arthur,

I read a speed reading book by tony buzan, o.k. speed reading is redundent but i read before i knew about pring, he teaches you to read with 'meta guiding techniques'. what was interesting is that he reckons you can read backwards and like 5 lines at a time. that kinda sounds like the preconscious proccessing you were talking about. he also teaches that the eyes are designed to follow movement so it is good to use a visual guide (like a chopstick, or pen) which i do to this day.

there is also that subliminal advertising thing. i watched a programm called darren browns mind control on english terestial and he did a experiment where he asked 3 designers to come up with a new product or some advertisment. the designers took a planned route to the building and along the way darren brown had positioned pictures and words in shop windows etc. The weird thing is that when they had designed the advert darren brown knew what they had designed because he had given them 'sub-liminal messages' on their journey.

Thats the power of the other-than-conscious we can either use it or other people will.

[This message has been edited by kojo (edited May 13, 2003).]

When i do anagrams i sorta stare into the middle and the answer just kinda pops out

Nick

Administrator
Administrator

Arthur -

Yes, the mind does unscramble stuff like that easily. It's a natural process because the mind is pattern/meaning seeking processor. It looks for patterns to throw at the conscious mind rather than waiting till it has all the information. A delay could see you walking one step too far into a tree if it failed to decode the distance between you and the tree by noticing the patterns. (Distance, pace direction etc).

This also relates to my article of predicting. In looking for pattens the mind predicts. In this case it actually predicted incorrectly because it had unscrambled the word order to give it meaning. It didn't just give you the information that was there it gave you the meaning. Yet you had to look twice to get the information in the order that it was printed.

Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Arthur:

I have also noticed for a long time now, that occasionally, when I'll be walking by, or my eye darting around, a little line on a cereal box, for example, will pop into my head. I'll search around and eventually find where I read it--I can actually read things without reading them!

LOL I thought I was the only one! Words and phrases pop into my head and I retrace my steps until I find where the words came from.

Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline

Yeah, astrowill, LOL! The first time it happened I was like--what the? Then I saw--wait a second, here it goes again, saw is the reverse of was--wow! Anyways, when I finally saw what had caused it I was amazed!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved