Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36940 05/27/03 09:48 PM
ftaas01 Offline OP
OP Offline

I assume the photoreading step has to be done in a quiet place while preferably alone. But what about activation, is it a must to enter a relaxed state of alertness. I sometimes like and enjoy reading while others are present or from time to time I’ll also try to acknowledge what’s being present on TV,- and I find it rather boring sitting alone in a room totally isolated from others with no distraction doing super reading and mind mapping. Of course I understand that the results will be less extraordinary and it wouldn’t maybe be wise to use a “noisy” environment when dealing with important material, like schoolwork etc. But sometimes it’s just comfortable to just read all the sentences and word on subjects I’ll find very interesting and enjoyable in a none preferable atmosphere.. Activation under noisy surroundings has to do some good, but to what degree??

Fred

#36941 05/28/03 01:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ftaas01:
[B],- and I find it rather boring sitting alone in a room totally isolated from others with no distraction doing super reading and mind mapping.

Why? Are you afraid of solitude? What do you need from the company of others in order to do intellectual work? Is not the activity of your own mind, focussing and thinking, enough to ward away boredom?

#36942 05/28/03 02:15 AM

Kristoff,
While some people can learn and study in complete silence and in a room by themselves,
others learn best with background noise (e.g. music, t.v., etc.)

#36943 05/28/03 08:00 AM
ftaas01 Offline OP
OP Offline

Do you have a wife/girlfriend living with you Kristoff?? Not always easy “escaping” and study in solitude then while she’s home. I often find myself reading while she’s watching telly cause this is something she doesn’t complain about all the time (-:
But as jonah pointed out – I in fact like to study in a noisy environment, but I do not pratice this when dealing with important material. Then I’ll listen to music which harmonizes the brain to achieve alpha state. Music made by Nigel Shawn ex.

Fred

#36944 05/28/03 08:02 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Once you've reached a point that you are comfortable with the process you'll find that you can do it anywhere because you remain focused. You know when you're really distracted... nothing is making sense and nothing is sticking and for some people, used to studying in noisey classrooms, silence becomes a distraction because the background chatter has become an anchor to the minds study mode. It could be because the school was situated in a noisey environment.

If it works for you go for it. I suggest you also have fun with the time saving of spending only 15 minutes doing the superreading and mind mapping rather than 40 minutes to an hour because of the frequent distractions from time to time.

Alex

#36945 05/28/03 12:10 PM
ftaas01 Offline OP
OP Offline

I always appreciate your posts Alex, thanks for sharing your knowledge once again.
Fred

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved