Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Oh, one more thing. It's because of companies like LSC I started my interest in the human brain and it's potentials. And that became the reason to go to med.school.

So thanks for that,

Rudger

The article is no longer. Paul must have went over and took 'em out.

*Mani.

If u want to learn, to study, etc etc u will need more than PR. I was wondering how many PhDs frequent this forum and study using only PR.
I dont want to start a flame war but if someone needs to know more about what I have in mind, pls email me.
Will someone explain what this is all about? http://www.subdyn.com/photored.html

I just wanted to know why Learning Strategies corp couldn’t back their product with a NASA study. The people from fluent reading did just that and the following is what they wrote.
http://www.fluentreading.com/

NASA

In addition to its Mission as the USA’s space agency, NASA is specifically charged with the responsibility of providing a continuing supply of trained men and women for the Country’s space program.

Fulfilling that mission, NASA is involved with actively supporting schools (K-12, colleges and universities) in the areas of Math, Science and Reading.

In April 2002 TLC was invited by NASA to give a presentation of The Reader's Edge® program at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Pursuant to that goal, NASA chose TLC’s Reader’s Edge program as the leading program for teaching enhanced reading skills.

On October 23, 2002, NASA signed a Memorandum of Understanding with TLC that authorized TLC to use NASA content for inclusion in its Reading Selections.

In 2003, using The Reader’s Edge software, TLC conducted a Fluent Reading program at the Murphy School District, Phoenix, AZ. As a reward to the students who completed the course, NASA provided a NASA Certificate of Completion for the TLC Fluent Reading Program.

I went to the site you linked to and I took their online demo. I read their test at 538 wpm. I didn't Photoread it. I then took their comprehension test and scored 100%. This put me above a Level 5 on both factors on their chart. The averages for their demo were 227 wpm and 73% comprehension.

From the rest of the site, it looks like they've put together a software program that teaches you to stop subvocalizing and learn to take in two or more words per eyestop. It had an Evelyn Wood and typical speed reading techniques feel. Learning these techniques are great for building efficient regular reading skills, but they pale in comparison to what I've been able to accomplish with Photoreading.

I'm glad they got NASA's stamp of approval, I have to say their program seems like a natural evolution of regular reading. If you want revolutionary, stick to PhotoReading.

It takes more than reading to get a PhD. Even with Photoreading skills, it will take four years of full-time study. You will need to attend classes. If I were to work on a PhD I'd have to drive about two hours round trip to get to the closest university to my house so it would make sense to move closer to the school since I hate long drives. And that's assuming I like the university. More likely I'd have to move out of state. I'd also have to forget about a full-time job. This is also assuming I'd even want a PhD. Unless you intend to stay within the education system as a professor or go into a field like medicine or law, once you graduate your degree doesn't matter all that much. What matters is how YOU use the resources you have.

The very idea of asking people to put their lives on hold for four years and spend a lot of time and money on a PhD just to prove Photoreading works is absurd. I used it for a semester as my primary means of study and it worked. I was nowhere near as good as I am now and I was not even able to get conscious recall at the time.

Photoreading will make the reading part go faster and help with tests and papers, and other accelerated learning skills such as Imagestreaming will help with creativity. None of these thechniques will do the work for you. Photoreading is a skill that takes work to master. It is not magic.

I have similar question that mads has. How come PR is not recognized to the US education department or board of education if it really works?

quote:
How come PR is not recognized to the US education department or board of education if it really works?

I don't want to be rude, but I think that is a question only the US Department of Education or the Board of Education can answer.

Here's their site: http://www.ed.gov

Send them an e-mail, I'd be interested in hearing the response you get from them. From what I can see, based on a quick browse through the site, they don't endorse or recommend any reading enhancement programs or any specific extracurricular courses at all.

[This message has been edited by scribe (edited May 18, 2004).]

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

In the State of Minnesota it is illegal to teach reading without a license. To do so means imprisonment. In 1986 Learning Strategies became licensed to teach PhotoReading. They had to call in a special investigator to verify that it is a legitimate reading method and then grant the license.

Also PhotoReading is already taught in 23 countries and in 11 languages around the world. I think it's great that NASA is supporting the folks at fluentreading to teach younger people to improve their reading a 60% increase is all they promise. When these people move on to photoreading they will find the PhotoReading so much easier to learn.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 18, 2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by photoread2me:
I have similar question that mads has. How come PR is not recognized to the US education department or board of education if it really works?

Well, from my own experience and that of others it works, so I won't question whether it works or not. I already know. As to the government being logical... LOL! They have so much invested into their old, ineffective models of education, not just with reading but with their whole system. If someone could set up a system that will increase students' learning abilities and REDUCE COSTS it may get publicity for a while but it will eventually CUT FUNDING, something they don't want. That is why there was much resistance to charter schools and private schools. The school system as a whole doesn't like competition, both financially and with ideas.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved