Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37320 06/26/03 12:47 AM
OP Offline

What exactly are you having a hard time with?

TELL US in steps or THE steps that you have hard time with in photoreading.

My suggestion... if all else fails, study like you study before you learned Photoreading. Then when your not pushed, learn Photoreading at your own pace. But it's best if you can learn it now and apply it.

#37321 06/26/03 12:52 AM

Prepare

ALS (2 min)
Focus state
PR
Affirmation

Postview

Borrowed Genius (doesn't work)

Activation
1, Super Read (seems like photoreading again, because when I expand the vision and see the whole sentence, sight becomes blur)

2, Regular Read and dip

3, stick to sth which i don't understand and think about it until it gels

I don't do rapid reading as this doesn't work for maths

#37322 06/26/03 01:48 AM
OP Offline

not very positive affirmations...

#37323 06/26/03 01:52 AM

why do u think so?
i read wut was written in the book

#37324 06/26/03 08:43 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Carl, An observation,

You seem to be spending a lot of time looking for other people to do the activation for you. You really need to get down and do it yourself.

Do 6 X 30 minute activation passes on a book if required. In those three hours you've covered more ground than a regular reader (they would average 12 hours) and textbooks usually require 25 to 50 hours so look at 5 to 15 hours for fully activating it.

Correct your technique (borrowed genius does not belong to the photoreading steps it is something you can do at another to build your skills.)

Prepare - tangerine technique.
Preview - limit it 3 to 5 minutes on a book 10 to 15 minutes a textbook
Enter ALS, affirm, tangerine and photoread.

Activation - tangerine and allow your eyes to see the whole line as you scan down the page. If your peripheral vision is weak use skittering, a zig zag type scan might work better for you so experiement. Check the book it explains alternate ways to activate.

During activation your focus should be closer normal. Regular read the passages that catch your eyes. Look for meaning, read words in goups (phrases).

Notice your body signals, visual - the text might sparkle, jump out, look bolder, hearing you might hear yourself say key words on the page or your mind say stop read this. Physically your body might tingle, twitch, itch when you are scanning over information that you want to know consciously. These are only a few of the mulitudes of ways your body/mind connection is telling you to dip. Practice following them and experiencing the results.

Stay with it till it gels means; do one 20 to 30 minute activation pass, take a 5 minute break, do a quick review of the information you brought to consciousness and decide if you want to know more. If you do, do another 20 to 30 minute activation pass. Keep repeating (with breaks and the breaks can be overnight) until you reach the point that you are satisified that you understand the material. It seems to me that you would have difficulty with this material even with regular reading, no doubt that's why you turned to photoreading.

Work in layers build your learning in layers. The foundation takes the most effort. Once the foundation has been laid you will find successive learning becomes easier.

Alex

#37325 06/26/03 09:53 AM

Dear Alex K,

Thanks for your advice. I have some questions on tangerine technique. Sometimes I think of a tangerine behind and above my head, and sometimes I think of my soul drift out of my body and smell my hair. But I think that thinking of a bee flying above and behind my head is the best for me, as I had such experience and I knew the feeling that focusing on that pt.

However, does it mean that I have peripheral vision?
When I PR, i can notice 4 corners.
When I superread, I can notice the whole sentence. But when I try to focus on the words from the centre part of the sentence and to expand my focus to the whole sentence, then i can just 'notice' the sentence without seeing any words clearly.

#37326 06/26/03 10:04 AM

For building comprehension in layers, do you mean I should state different purposes before each activation technique, like 'I will know the concept of change of variables' this time, and 'definition of jacobian' next time.

Or should I state a general purpose and stating this purpose every time, like 'I will get the core concepts of this book, so that I can solve the questions in exam and to gain the highest possible marks'

#37327 06/26/03 10:13 AM

When I read the passage, I can't stop reading the words in my mind. I try my best to 'shut up' but when I see a word, the sound stills come out. Or even the sound doesn't come out, I feel I did not see that word. What should I do?

#37328 06/26/03 10:16 AM
Administrator
Administrator

For the tangerine technique the idea is only to throw your focus to the back part of the head. So use whatever imagry works best for you. Just remember you use it whenever you read. Whether regular reading, rapid reading or superreading.

If you are aware of the whole sentence then your peripheral is open enough. You need to be able to read groups of words so let your eyes flow, if you use some of the other activation techniques you can take in the words at the edges better. You've already photoread it so you know what is there, you are looking for the cues within the middle that tells you that the information that you consciously seek is in that general area and when you dip you allow your eyes to flow over the words... it can be the whole sentence or two but you use a smooth motion.

If you're going in for more information doesn't it strike you that you have some sort of purpose what more do you want to know. As long as you think of questions that could be answered then your purpose is to find the answer to those questions. If your activating you can become more specific. I want to know when to use the formula I just learnt, how does the formula for... affect the solution in these circumstances? If I apply this... what would happen. Why do they use... instead of... , Why do I feel I need to know more about? To say I want an answer to... that's a purpose. Be flexible you might keep the same purpose for a couple of activation passes until you're satisfied you have understood the answer.

Alex

#37329 06/26/03 10:21 AM
Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Weter:
When I read the passage, I can't stop reading the words in my mind. I try my best to 'shut up' but when I see a word, the sound stills come out. Or even the sound doesn't come out, I feel I did not see that word. What should I do?

Spend less time dipping, only read what is necessary and it really is ok to subvocalise. Move on when you've read it. When superreading I hear words jump out at me too it helps to build the conscious awareness without having to read everything. Just keep going.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved