Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37427 07/05/03 12:30 AM
jonah Offline OP
OP Offline

Michael--
Are you teaching your family--especially your children--PhotoReading?
Just Wondering.

Johah,

Not yet ... they are still too young and do not have an attention span that last for more that 4 seconds.

What I am doing is building a 'library' of knowlegdge that they will be able to draw upon which I did not have as a young lad.

I have much learning to do but maintain a persistant and positive attitude.

Do I have all the answers in life. Not really, but I know how to find them if that is really what I desire.

It's been mentioned on the forum in past that there is a certain age to be teaching kids PR ... I find that a bit of hogwash and believe that the underlying 'principles' that make up photoreading CAN be taught to children the day they are born. I guess this is the question that I have asked and I await an answer someday. My call may be answered in the many book I have and have yet to read ... who knows, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Yes, one day, I intend on passing down the knowledge I have gained over the many years to my children, if they so choose to do so.

Right now, I can only play, show love and help them by setting small goals for them ... reading, praying, having fun, respect, phsical exercise (actually they give me that with all the running around) ... I'm sure there will be more to add as time unfolds.

I guess a parent knows to some degree if they are doing 'something' right when their children constantly have that great smile and are relatively happy, except when thay have to go to bed.

Administrator
Administrator

2 interesting tricks that reseach has shown helps young people with their reading comprehension skills is learning.

1.nursery rhymes and the nonsense books from Dr Seuss. It seems to help them make sense of regular text.

2.Reading out loud to them.

When they start reading to you quickly help them when they get stuck on the words they cannot read. It is pointless sounding out the individual letters in the English language and the word as a whole gets memorised not the individual letters. Ironically the lack of struggle at this early stage of learning to read helps them to enjoy reading.

Interesting reading is a book by Mem Fox orginally printed in 2001 Reading Magic ISBN 0 330 36282 8

Seem she has been teaching this for some time and getting excellent results with parents who read to their kids when small.

Alex

Thanks Alex. I'll investigate the book.

By the way its almost 9am here, I can only image what time it is over there!

LLL

Michael Saikali

Administrator
Administrator

10:55 pm of Monday the 7th July.

The day is almost over for me

Alex

jonah Offline OP
OP Offline

Michael--
Most kids want to imitate what they see their parents do, they want to be just like them. If your kids see you PhotoReading and see that you are having fun at it, they'll want to do what daddy is doing. Alex's suggestion is a perfect one by starting with Dr. Suess Books and rhymes. Altough you may want them NOT to PR in front of their teachers, especially in elementery school.

I do not know if the Canadian school system allows a child to skip grades, but who knows?
if they do, with PR your children could have their Bachelor's or Master degrees by the time their friends are entering highschool.

Michael's kids need to learn to read traditionally first. PR is how to learn written from material very quickly. Not how to decode written material into meaning.

Michaels kids are quite young, as are mine. I plan on introducint PR into their lives before highschool. However, I don't want teenage PHDs. I don't even want them skipping grades. Life is more than academics. I want them to grow with their peers. I want them to have PR to deal with life's challenges more easily.

I want kids with good strong self-esteem, self-respect, good attitude towards life. I want them to have material success to the level that it doesn't drive their daily lives.

I want to teach the how to be happy. A happy that they own and no-one can take from them. I want them to live in a land where.... ooops the ramble master does it again.

Michaels kids are too young to learn it.

I think that "Do what Mom and Dad are doing, dies out by the teen years". So, show them the way. Teach them how to read the trail markers. Then trust them to meet the challenges of their own journey. PR is just a utility knife for the trip of life.

Ooop when you get to rambling it's had to stop.

Iam2

Jonah, are you going to the retreat?

jonah Offline OP
OP Offline

Good Point. I thought they were about 11-12 y.o. I am glad you and Michael aren't pushing your kids, too many parents do that and the kids end up nervous.
When I said, "elementary school" I meant upper grades like 6-8 (or is that junior high). Just make sure when they are old enough to PR, they have fun.

No, I'm not going to get to go to the retreat

jonah Offline OP
OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by jonah:
Good Point. I thought they were about 11-12 y.o. I thought Michael was going on the assumption that no one under 13-14 can PR (I have read accounts to that affect.) I know 30 y.o. with short attention spans so that threw me off too.
I am glad you and Michael aren't pushing your kids, too many parents do that and the kids end up nervous.
When I said, "elementary school" I meant upper grades like 6-8 (or is that junior high). Just make sure when they are old enough to PR, they have fun.

No, I'm not going to get to go to the retreat

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved