Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37543 07/14/03 06:03 PM
OP Offline

Hi.

Do you have experiences of the book "Brain-Gym" respectively Kinesiology?

Is it esoteric stuff or scientific proven?

#37544 07/14/03 06:50 PM

There's a book called "Smart Moves". It provides a physiological explanation for why something like Brain Gym should work. It also provide a case histories of the author's own experience of using Brain Gym.

I use it with my kids. It hasn't turned them into geniuses, but it does demonstrate that thinking capacity isn't determined only by mental potential.

I would say go ahead and do it. Just like all the stuff you find on this forum, it's not a miracle pill. I just something else that can help.

I exercise that next to no time to do, and I'd say they are worth the time. There is the learning curve, which is fairly small if you just do the Brain Gym books, and skip the Smart Moves book. Someone like me likes to have a plausable explanation for why it should have any effect. The book gave me that, which is not to say I agree with everything stated in the book, or even the authors cause and effect claims. However, I can see how it could be helpful.

Try it, learn and share.

Iam2

P.S. There are other threads talking about Brain Gym on the forums. Just give it a search.

#37545 07/15/03 01:03 AM
Administrator
Administrator

It's interesting to note how it changes peoples states after doing some of the exercises. They probably don't notice it themselves but after doing some physical movements before starting some of the other activites they were able to take them on better. The participants seemed heavy before and afterwards a lot lighter. Questions seemed to have more clarity too. (perhaps it was the relief that that was over and they survived that lightened them up )

I personally used the techniques while studying. When I got foggy in my thinking about what to write the 2 minutes or so doing brain gym got the juices flowing again. Stands to reason that they will work anything that shifts your physical body out of one state into another will change your mind state too.

Alex

#37546 07/15/03 05:39 AM
x Offline

is brain gym anything like pumping ions? i've never heard of it before...

#37547 07/15/03 06:29 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Some simple exercises, movement that hookup the left and right brain hemispheres for mental activites.

More information here http://www.braingym.com/

Alex

#37548 07/15/03 01:47 PM

The idea that your mind can affect your body seems a little far fetched, but probably most of the people visiting this forum have some level of belief in this concept.

The idea that the body can have an impact on the mind appears to be accepted by fewer people than the above belief. Which is a little strange since the body to mind influences is quicker and stronger.

Next time you are tired and are walking stooped over, first check your mental attitude and your feelings. Then try walking upright and with energetic body movements. Now check your attitude and feelings.

-----------------

Now that's not saying that by doing the cross crawl and lazy 8 variations you'll be a better thinker, but there is a large area of study into what kinds of movements can influence mental processes.

My own experience is not a controlled study, so many things are being used at once. My children have only one shot at being a kid, so I balance time and effort with available resources and the kids happiness and overall development.

So I use Brain Gym, paraliminals, a variety of study approachs, good old family fun, and one on one bonding.

Poor kid has listen to my four elements of best studying speech, and balancing different parts of your life. I just hope that some of it helps in their future.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved