Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Pages 25 and 26 of the PR book list 4 questions for stating purpose. Listed below are two questions that cause me confusion. Specifically, these questions seem to overlap? Does anybody have an idea of how these two questions are different? Maybe an example would help me understand?

What is the ultimate application of the material?

How important is the information to me?

Thank You,

Grant Davison

I have found that when I need to know something for school or just curiousity, if I make questions like: Why is this important or what do I expect to get out of this?
I seem more focused on the task and once I find the answer to the quesion, I find its easier to remember and I retain the information longer than if I just passive read.

One is asking how can the material be used, and the other is how important is its use?

-youngprer
geocities.com/doc5587
pub117.ezboard.com/btheworldofyoungprer

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by grantman:
Pages 25 and 26 of the PR book list 4 questions for stating purpose. Listed below are two questions that cause me confusion. Specifically, these questions seem to overlap? Does anybody have an idea of how these two questions are different? Maybe an example would help me understand?

What is the ultimate application of the material?

How important is the information to me?

Thank You,

Grant Davison

An example... Book titled Power Promoting - How to Market Your Business to the Top
Scan of the Book - noticed some words e.g. promote yourself, use pictures, offering rebates.

To answer the question - "What is the ultimate application of the material?"

In this case the book is obviously method one can use to build a business offering ideas and techniques.

"How important is the information to me?"
Answer will depend on... do I need to know this? am I in business so that this information might be useful to me? am I doing a marketing project where this type of information might be useful to me? Will I be tested on the information in this book?

The answer may be. "well the information could be useful or even very important to me, I don't know yet or it sound interesting." Then you can consider the book having some importance, worth a photoread and short activation at some point. If you can say "nope nothing in this book interest me right now, I am not required to read it for work or school." Then that becomes a book not worth exploring further. (Becomes a dump it and save your time.)

The idea of previewing is to get some idea of whether the information in the book has any possible use or interest to you. It's pointless reading a book on snail racing if you want to know/learn how to build model airplanes.

Another example... Book titled Making Model Airplanes that Fly

The title of the book attracted you because you like to make scale working modeis.

You do a preview of the book. Your preview reveals that it is a book about making paper airplanes. To answer the question.

"What is the ultimate application of the material?" - Making PAPER airplane for fun.

"How important is the information to me?"
Not at all... you are interested in the motorised model planes that fly by remote so folding paper planes might be okay for boring board meetings. So you dump the book.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited July 24, 2003).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved