Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
simon Offline OP
OP Offline

hey i have been trying to learn how to PR for about a week, i was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions to help me along the way. How many books should i be PRing a week or day? Is drawing out mind maps an essential part of Pring or can you get by without doing it? What were some of the first books that you sucessfully PRed and comprehended? did this method help on tests? thanks for your help i really appreciate it.

• Mind Maps - Depends on if you want to remember it. I also find that mind-mapping helps bring the information together, so that it's not just a collection of disjointed facts.
  • Amount of Books - Depends on your reading goals. In general, 5-10 books per day, previewed and PhotoRead, will build the skill and increase the potential for spontanious activation. Manually activate at least one book per week. It doesn't have to be a very big book.
  • First Books - I found that books of vingettes were helpful. Try Richard Feynnman's "Six Easy Peices". For a real thrill, preview and PhotoRead lots of physics and science books without doing manual activation, and then preview, PhotoRead, and activate "Six Not-so-Easy Peices."
  • Tests - No, not really - but then again I was taking accuracy tests where I had to compare things letter by letter. I found the "comprehend and move on" approach of PhotoReading to be in conflect with the "are these two words EXACTLY the same?" nature of the test. I didn't get that job, but the next time I had a similar test I managed to complete it successfully, especially as the "words" were random characters, rather than asking if "Anne Howsyerbutt" and "Ann Howsyerbutt" are the same or different.

Administrator
Administrator

If you want to use photoreading you use it everyday on all your reading material. So everybook you photoread. If you want to gain a sense of competence. Photoread 3 to 10 books a day and fully activate at least one book per week.

Mind mapping is particularly useful in the early days of photoreading (still is later but becomes more optional depending on what you need to know). Mind mapping brings the other senses into play with reading and gives you more focus. While it may 'seem' difficult at first by sticking with it you find your mind clicks faster on the questions during superreading and dipping. So while learning I recommend mind map every book.

Alex

simon Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks a lot! I will put your advice to good use and PR as much as I can, I just recently PRed Bill Phillips Body for Life book while shopping at Target. I felt that I retained a good sense of what the book was about after using the PRing methods and the great thing about it is I didn't even have to buy it!.....hmmm i wonder what the retail stores think of that.

One thing on mind-maps, they're actually pretty easy when you think about them. You're not writing many of the words that make up sentences - you're just writing a few words and connecting them with lines. It's a lot easier and quicker to draw a mindmap then to write a 2-5 page book report, and you really do get the same information from looking at the map, if you've read the book.

If you want a mind-blowing experience, PhotoRead, Activate and Rapid Read the Book of the Subgenius... and then look at the mind-map they have on the inside front cover. I remember just looking at it one day after I learned PhotoReading, and suddenly it all HIT ME that I was READING THE WHOLE BOOK in an iconic form, all on ONE SINGLE PAGE. It felt a bit like sniffing a thousand magic markers all at once while receiving a slow sheet-lightening enema. "BOB" works in mysterious ways, my friends.

Kaiden,

Excellent point on Mind maps!

Kaiden, Alexk ... thanks for posting, you just saved me a few keystrokes!

Love and Light

Michael Saikali

simon Offline OP
OP Offline

that is awesome! i hope to be able to experience that someday. At first i was a bit lazy with mind mapping, i didn't know it was that crucial. Now i see that it helps pull everything together so you can see it better. thanks

simon Offline OP
OP Offline

I noticed that sometimes the blurriness of the text changes in the photofocus state depending on how far my eyes are from the book and how deep my gaze is. Should the text be blurry all the time or should i be able to somewhat see it? I am trying to critique some of my methods. How do i know if my subconscious is picking it all up? thanks again for your response.

Your mind records everything like a movie. You tag the script with highlights. But you end up seeing a movie, just some parts more visible at the moment than others. Some people can recall entire movies line for line, others like to drop a few funny and outstanding scenes and some forget the movie as a whole.

If you have a sense of burdening yourself with PRing and trying to get better, don't. It was made to help so if you cannot establish that ideal mindset then education in any system is difficult.

MM is essential! Or you can play a game of... Skittering! PLAYYYY

Now, I have very bad vision, uncorrected, so take my advice with that in mind.

I let the text blur to the point where it looks like something else - almost like another alphabet. It's easier to get if you hold the book upside-down. I call them "word glyphs."

It's OK if the text is in focus, but it's not nessesary. Either way, you're using your periphrial vision, because that is the type of vision that always makes sense out of fuzzy things - or rather sends fuzzy things to your preconcious processor to make sense out of. You have a lifetime of seeing fuzzy things and making sense out of them at an other-than-conscious level. PhotoReading applies this to writtian material, but you already have the root skills. It's like dancing, rather than rollerskating. You can't skate without skates, but you can dance without any special footgear - unless you're talking about tap dancing or balet or clogging.... ok, bad metaphor. I'm going to bed now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved