Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37734 07/29/03 05:17 AM
OP Offline

Does Photoreading sideways work? If I use Acrobat, I can get through it faster if I turn everything 90º.

#37735 07/29/03 06:21 AM
Administrator
Administrator

The question really is does it work for you side ways? Try it and see. If activation seems to take longer then are you really saving time turning it sideways?

Alex

#37736 07/30/03 04:46 AM
OP Offline

you know, I am asking this to more advanced photoreaders who might have tried this, or can, so I don't waste time by trying to learn it this way. And if it does work then maybe others can save time.

#37737 07/30/03 04:54 AM
Administrator
Administrator

This is one thing that won't work for everyone. Check it you tend to tilt you head when looking for book in a bookshop or library. If you do I'd say it would be more difficult for you. Then again photoreading on the side may just help develop your ability to read sideways.

This one is really going to be individual preference.

Alex

#37738 07/30/03 05:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tsossczb:
you know, I am asking this to more advanced photoreaders who might have tried this, or can, so I don't waste time by trying to learn it this way. And if it does work then maybe others can save time.

You know, you have been answered by possibly the most advanced PhotoReader currently active on the forum. A PhotoReading instructor, in fact. You would do well to consider the advice proffered.

KWLee

[This message has been edited by KWLee (edited July 30, 2003).]

#37739 07/30/03 01:43 PM

why sideways? Just to be unique on the forum with a dumbfound question? why PRed at all then? Just take the book and activate it without PRing it and compare that with your sideways and normal activation after PRing.

#37740 07/30/03 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by THEChangLiu:
why sideways? Just to be unique on the forum with a dumbfound question? why PRed at all then? Just take the book and activate it without PRing it and compare that with your sideways and normal activation after PRing.

Maybe one reason is that sideways the visible page is bigger and that way also text is bigger..

Why that arrogant attitude?

Nordic

[This message has been edited by Nordic (edited July 30, 2003).]

#37741 07/31/03 05:03 AM
OP Offline

If it is sideways then I only have to scroll down the width of the page, not the whole length. This can cut the time down by aroung fifty percent in my case. Also, if I was to "photoflip" (I guess that's what it is), then having a book turned would let me make sure I was seeing more of the pages because when I let go of one the page would just fall. Then gravity helps me get the whole page, as opposed to flipping normally where you might miss the parts closest to the binding.

And how can a question be "dumbfound"?

#37742 07/31/03 05:20 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Rest assured I don't consider the question "dumbfound". Like I said this is one thing that probably won't work for everyone. By all means try it and see what your results are.

Someone once asked me personally what I thought was the best way of tackling books that turned certain pages sideways for charts and graphs. My reply was and still is, Take it as it comes. See what happens for you. You might find it easier to do photoread twice one regular and once sideway."

There are a number of factors that may make photoreading sideway more challenging. The primary one is the individuals belief. If you try it as an experiment to satisfiy your curiosity I am inclined to think you can be successful with it. If you need other peoples assurances that it 'does' work before you try it... well 'how can you know if you can run a mile if you don't give it a shot?

One other factor why yes or no is the answer. Everyone has different computer monitors at different settings. For some turning the page sideways distorts the letters more than others. That means the individuals, visual pattern recognising skills, are further challenged. Some will manage others will not. Merely because of the quality of the text on the monitor.

Have a go and see what you get is the fastest way of finding out if this works for you.

Alex

#37743 08/05/03 08:15 PM

The word here from the home office is, there have been plenty of studies which confirm the mind will adjust to however the words are presented on a page.

One of them is the well-known study where people wore prisms for glasses that turned the world upside down. Within a couple of minutes, the person forgot the the world was presented upside down. The brain automatically compensated for it.

Then, when they took off the glasses the world appeared upside down again. It took just a couple of minutes for the brain to compensate and turn it proper.

So, you may have stumbled onto a brilliant alternative.

Let us know how it works for you!

[This message has been edited by Dana Hanson (edited August 05, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved