Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37875 08/06/03 03:37 PM
OP Offline

Few questions about the photoreading step of the system...

First of all this is my first post and I do like the flexibility this reading has to offer. I do variations with the system using postviewings, skittering sometimes, super reading and dipping other times, and Im basically trying to intuitively adapt my approach according to the type of text.

the questions

Since I cannot really measure the efficiency of the photoreading step

What are the uses of photoreading the text again?

What criteria should i follow when cosidering multiple photoreading passes to the same material?

Should I concentrate more on photoreading step when attempting to direct learn?

I photoread the book a week ago, do I have to photoread it again in order to activate it?

Maximum time between photoreading and activating?

If im doing multiple activation passes through a text and its going to take me time should i reconsider photoreading there and again??

In theory would photoreading a page from 1 to 4 seconds make a difference in how well its absorbed?

Not really expecting answers to all the questions specifically (although it would be super) but would like to get general notion on how to work with this part of the photoreading whole mind system in order to give it flexibility

OP Offline

Another thing...

About the photoreading whole mind system (book)

There should be a clearer mention as to how the system should be used:

-criteria for multiple sr&d
-criteria for multiple photoreading (my q's above)
-basically a section that treats how to develop flexibility with the steps, not just explaining them

I saying this not because it is true but rather because these are the things that have been holding back my progress

Administrator
Administrator

My first piece of advise is 'don't should on yourself'. No need to apply a multitude of rules to photoreading.

Try activating a book that you haven't photoread and compare that with one of the same thickness and same level of interest that you have photoread. I think like many others you will notice a difference.

Photoreading again... is a matter of choice not necessity. I for one will photoread a book again if I haven't activated it for a period of time... that 2 to 3 minutes spent photoreadings refreshed the mind and makes activation easier... helps me to hone in on the information I am seeking in a matter of minutes.

If you're direct learning the thats when the photoreading step counts, you never actually need to activate any of the book from the direct learning pile (though one or 2 might inspire you to do so for some reason).

Maximum is what you are comfortable with, overnight break is recommended and 20 minutes as a minimum before activation. These ideals are not set in stone. Again if a week has passed I find it easier just to photoread it again, quick, before activating immediately.

You may consider photoreading again if you are doing multiple activation passes. That is your choice.

Longer isn't necessarily better. The longer you look at the page the more likely the conscious mind tries to take over the task. If you can turn the pages faster than one per second and hold the steady rhythm then go for it.

It's kind of difficult to write one book to suit everyones learning style. That's where the forum comes in.

Alex

OP Offline

thank you alex

anyone else got view point on this photoreading aspect. Ideas are nice

youre right that coment might be harsh... it was intended just to be feedback. Itīs just that itīs a point that kept me confused, maybe others had the same problem.

Why can't you measure the efficiency of PRing? You can setup some tests and measurement criteria. Probably not too easy too do with great certainty. Comprehension is a tough one. Unbiased and similiarly capable test subjects can be hard to come by. Placebo effect would need to be modelled too. However, I suspect it could be done. Of course you could just do some testing yourself... the problem is that you will usually see the results you expect to see; for one reason or another.

Why Photoread a text again. Well as all powerful as your mind is, it doesn't work on all problems with the same effort. Those problems that are more important or more urgent or more present in your thoughts (or other than conscious thoughts) get the greater share of effort. So if you PRed something and haven't needed or use the information, but two years later you think you do. Well your mind probably didn't carry the book around for two years, just incase. However, maybe it incorporated some Important lessons into your being without you're noticing. So PR again if you feel you should. Trust yourself to make the right choice. Or play cautious and throw a few minutes into PRing again.

What criteria? Do you feel you should or need to do more passes.

Should I concentrate more on PR step? Think about your purpose, your desired results, and just do the PR step.

I PRed last week, do I have to PR again? I don't know. Do you?

Maximum time between PR and activation? One life time. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Multiple activation passes and it takes a long time, so should I PR again? Again you be the judge. If you are doing one 20 minute activation pass a week, just how motivated to learning the material are you. If you're not motivated, don't expect your mind to hold onto it.

PRing for 4 seconds. I think that is pretty long. I'd worry that you conscious mind is going to break your ALS. Longer doesn't mean stronger impression on the inner mind. 1 second is probably more than excessive.

Second post:
There should be....

Well PWMS is not a recipe book. It is a guide to help you develop a skill.

Well that's the most AlexK like post I've ever given. By that, I mean addressing each question in turn. I usually just grab something I feel is important and ramble on about that. For dantitan, it would be use the system and stop analysis it. It's less complicated than you are trying to make it. Again the guide versus recipe book comes to mind.

Keep at it,
Iam2

After reading the posts it should be apparent that once you have the technique down, know all the elements of what to do, it then becomes a matter of what works for you!

If you find you do better with a second PhotoRead, go for it! PhotoReading is a system or as IAM2 states a recipe. We all can read the recipe and what the ingredients are but we may put it together a tad different depending on our style and taste.

I know many seem to get hung up on how to measure their efficiency with PhotoReading. I guess it's some measure to let you know something is working; something factual you can tell your friends.

Why get hung up on it though?! If you find you get through books faster, you have a better understanding of the material or at least what you want from the material, than what you've done before - the results speak for themselves.

Remember - repetition is the mother of skill. So it may take many sessions before you gain the PhotoReading skills. It IS worth it and I feel you WILL see the results!

OP Offline

The thing is I like the system and have been very pleased with the tools... but of course the photoreading step is the most difficult one to evaluate...

Ive been photoreading for a few months now, and i play around with all the steps of the system and normally only photoread the book once unless im activating after a long time.

Ive previewed and photoread most text books ive got here at home and know where the information is if I need it at any point (did it just as an exercise). Im trying to read a book every two days.

In the course manual after talking about photoreading, it gives you an five day test for your skills and one most of the days it asks you to photoread the book... so that made me very curious as to how I could be flexible with this tool of the system which is the only one that is lagging behind.

No specific problems actually doing the photoreading step. Normally just put on the tape 7B on an do the whole process with the tape on. Being patient and playful with this step because Ive decided that even if it dosent work the photoreading WMS is worth it for me.

Really enjoyded the metaphores and examples used in the book. Always find a new clue in the book when i activate it from time to time.

Why PhotoRead the same book twice?

PhotoReading is a form of "premembering." According to some theories on memory, every memory we have is re-created when we actively remember it. Before something can be remembered, it must be experienced. Before anything is experienced consciously, it must be experienced (drumroll please).... preconciously. PhotoReading the same thing multiple times makes the memory-like pattern of the text clearer. Also, one can have a different PURPOSE for PhotoReading. I might PhotoRead "Ishtar Rising" with a bunch of other Robert Anton Wilson books because I want to know about the author's philosphy. I might read it with a bunch of books on ethics and behavior because I want to know about morality and why something as clearly immoral as making women second-class humans is almost ubiquitous, or I might read it on its own just to find out more about the psychological history of the human female breast. It's not that the all-seeing preconcious ignores anything, but rather that what goes into the implicit memory will vary. The rest can be safely forgotton.

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by dantitan:
The thing is I like the system and have been very pleased with the tools... but of course the photoreading step is the most difficult one to evaluate...

If you want to know if photoreading step alone makes a difference do the direct learning. Since you have the home study course you have the Natural Brilliance book that comes with the home study course. Apply chapter 10 a direct learning project. Read chapter 9 for the background information. If your mind can cause you to take on actions without consciously having 'read the text'. It says a lot for the photoreading step.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved