Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37884 08/07/03 05:16 AM
jwk Offline OP
OP Offline

not that it's a contest of any sort, alex, but at what speeds have you been clocked? i am just interested, that's all. you seem to be 'advanced' at this sort of thing

#37885 08/06/03 08:41 PM

I don't know about Alex, but I've done about 4 or 5 books in about 15-20 minutes.

-youngprer
geocities.com/doc5587
pub117.ezboard.com/btheworldofyoungprer

#37886 08/06/03 09:24 PM

im guessing that just photoreading & not all the other steps?

#37887 08/07/03 06:53 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Photoreading 40 books in under an hour, Some preview about 30 seconds to 2 minutes per book.

Computer webpages 30 browser windows in 30 minutes searching. Photoread them to find if they had the information I was seeking found myself experiencing a bit of direct learning as a result.

I often go through the 60 or 80 search engine results whilst chatting on msn though I don't get much done when I have more than 3 chats running.

Found one article that was over 57 pages and quite interesting took me an 90 minutes to activate it fully since I was maintaining a couple of chats at the time and checking out some links they were sending me, did a search of the web for some software for my brother at the same time. How fast one activates really depends on how one is prioritising their time.

How fast am I getting the information I want? A LOT faster than I was with regular reading. In wpm, it depends, some books I photoread and postview 5 minutes and am done, others take 30 to 90 minutes and others I leisure read. Could I go as fast as Pete? I don't know... maybe. To me the photoreading system is more about flexibility allowing me to get the reading done in the time I have available.

One thing I really appreciate is the ability to remember a lot more of the details of the information that I have activated, far more than what I ever achieved with regular reading. I guess it came down to a couple of fundamental aspects of the system. Knowing my purpose and getting active with my reading material, asking questions and identifying what is important to me. Being able to admit that the information I am looking for isn't necessarily in the book in my hand and that I might have to try some others to find it. Knowing I can come to the decision to dump a book after a 5 minute postview and trusting my gut reaction from my photoreading without having to spend 6 to 8 hours to come to the realisation that there was nothing in the book that was meaningful to me. I can do this with 7 or 8 books in 45 minutes and find more information that is more useful to me than with just one book in 8 hours.

It's not a matter of how fast, as in a race who's the fastest. It's a matter of having a purpose and using the system and when you do, you appreciate how much information you can really get through in the limited hours of the day.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited August 07, 2003).]

#37888 08/07/03 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bennypr2002:
im guessing that just photoreading & not all the other steps?

No, that's activation included, Benny.

-youngprer
geocities.com/doc5587
pub117.ezboard.com/btheworldofyoungprer

#37889 08/07/03 03:20 PM

quote:
No, that's activation included, Benny.

:P good job.

activation isn't about getting 100% on a test nor is it about the ability to recite the book from cover to cover. You have to set a goal and reach that in activation and decide if you want more. All comes with work.

#37890 08/07/03 03:26 PM

I just finished Anthem by Ayn Rand. I took me like 1hour and 45min because I was just rapid reading and having some fun. I am sure if I go back to that book 2weeks from now I would take no longer than 45mins for me to really feel refreshed or complete in my purpose for the book. But breaking that first barrier, your emotional barrier, putting aside all the prejudices you have, the mixed feelings, the fears, the desires and wants, and just doing it really helps. I think Kaiden said a while ago, the hardest part is not activation itself, it is prepare and purpose. Everything else is REALLY easy if you really wanted something with all your heart, your mind, and your spirit (not the religious one). Ease of the mind working with the material at hand, which is the easy I talk of.

#37891 08/07/03 06:10 PM

Alex, when you said that you photoread and postviewed in five minutes, how much info. did you retain?
Another question that is gnawing at me is that if I don't activate a book to get the information into my conscious mind, then it is still in subconscious mind through PR. But then how do I use that information? This question might have any obvious answer, but I would appreciate any help in this question.

#37892 08/07/03 08:23 PM

Chang,
When you PRed Ayan Rand did u "get" what the whole book was about? In highschool I read the Fountainhead but that was with regular reading and it took me weeks to finish it and I dont think I got all the details but I was able to understand it. I want to get back into reading some more books by Rand this time using the PRing method. Let me know if you were able to fully understand the book using PRing. Another question... I have classes starting soon and I was wondering about the success of PRers in college, does it make a tremendous difference in your comprehension skills as a student? I know I will have plenty of reading material and I think this is a good opportunity to see if PRing works better than standardized reading and studying. Please inform me of your experiences. thanks

#37893 08/08/03 05:36 AM
Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by ambiguousendeavors:
Alex, when you said that you photoread and postviewed in five minutes, how much info. did you retain?

I found I had enough to now be able to go back to the books and get more information from them and what information they contain.

quote:
Another question that is gnawing at me is that if I don't activate a book to get the information into my conscious mind, then it is still in subconscious mind through PR. But then how do I use that information? This question might have any obvious answer, but I would appreciate any help in this question.

If you photoread a few books on the same topic you can experience what is called direct learning. Often someone asking questions will help you to draw up the information you've photoread but not yet activated. This is referred to as spontaneous activation.

An experience I once had. Someone asked me to help them with an assignment. Showed me the instructions and when I read it my mind ran screaming out the door. He said, 'how do I answer this.' I said, 'I don't know yet I'll get back to you after dinner.' (Thinking that by the time I get back from dinner I may have figured out what the assignment was). Nope I still didn't understand the assignment so I photoread a book on the subject that matched the assignment question. I didn't bother activating because personally I had no interest in the subject I figured I'll do it when he asks me for help on his assignment again.

About 4 hours later he finished the other assignment he was working on and asked me what I was doing I said, 'nothing, just browing the web, was ready to help you with that assignment.'

As it turns out he asked me a question and it was like opening a faucet. The information started flowing from me as if I knew it all along. You know I didn't open that book again until the following morning when I got to wondering how I knew so much about one aspect of the subject. Found one and a half pages devoted to what I told him about.

It took him 45 minutes to copy and paste and rewrite the imformation I gave him in chat. He got 70% for that assignment (losing marks for incorrect layout).

So it seems to be to be a case of 'if you need it, it's there' you just need to get out of your own way and allow yourself to recognise it.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited August 08, 2003).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved