Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37894 08/07/03 03:14 PM
jwk Offline OP
OP Offline

what is the differnce in straegy between reading fiction and non-fiction? most of the book covers non-fiction and technical data.

#37895 08/07/03 03:19 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Basically it's the same. It boils down to purpose. If you're reading for pleasure you generally want to sit back and enjoy it so most people will photoread and then rapid read. Skipping the other activation technique.

If it's for study you want to get more out of it than mere entertainment so you would treat it pretty much like any non fiction book under those circumstances.

It a matter of purpose 'why are you reading it? What do you want out of it? How much time do you want to spend with it?

Alex

#37896 08/07/03 06:02 PM

jwk, I was wondering the same thing. After I learned the Photoreading Course, I've been applying it to fiction books as well. I just photoread them and then rapid read them.

Right now I have to read The Red Badge of Courage for history class, and I then have to write an essay on it. So I was wondering, if I'm going to treat it as any non-fiction book, then how would I activate it? I mean, how would I know where to superread and dip it? There's no table of contents. Also, what kinds of questions would I ask?

I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

#37897 08/08/03 04:59 AM
Administrator
Administrator

On reading fiction books for essays and comprehension test regular study sources say you must read the book 3 times and that is with regular reading techniques Don't all groan at once Photoreading makes it as easy as eating pie one bite at a time.

Basically you need to identify your purpose and with reading 'literature' Your first activation passes would be of plot, characters and setting (you're going to mind map this because it will make it sooo much easier to write the essay) Have 3 main branches, (plot, characters and setting). for the next activation pass you add the branches like, theme, symbolism, philosophy, language, imagry. Using 2 to 4 20 to 30 minute activation passes you're pulling out the information usually sort after in literature. Other branches may be guided by you teacher although you will find if you look for them you are extracting lots of details that you tend to overlook with regular reading. After 2 to 4 hours of regular activation you can then go for a rapid read and probably discover yourself moving a lot faster and perhaps adding one or 2 points to the mind map.

I haven't exactly explained what you are looking for when I say symbolism, theme, language, philosophy if you would like to know more about them email me (my address is in my profile) for my questions article I've already written the information in there.

Alex

#37898 08/08/03 04:32 PM

Thanks Alex. I'm eager to apply these methods to my reading and to see the results. But just one more question. When I'm activating the book for certain things, such as plot, characters, theme, etc., how do I know where to look? Do I just flip open the book to a page and start, or do I go through the entire book?

--ambiguousendeavors--

#37899 08/08/03 04:42 PM
Administrator
Administrator

That's the idea of activation you start where your instinct guides you with be the major core insight. If you ask what is the plot you probably have to superread a few sections to pin it all together... but you concentrate on looking for that. Even if you superread the book from cover to cover in 20 to 30 minutes you allow yourself to be prompted to pause for the plot or charactor or theme that you are seeking. The rest you just wiz over. (Reserving it for the rapid read.)

Alex

#37900 08/09/03 01:40 AM

This isn't set in stone, just server-space.

Here is my "great chain of being" for levels of textual complexity. Words in (parenthesis) are examples.

1. pure reference (dictionary)
2. structured non-fiction (small text books like "Natural Brilliance")
3. unstructured non-fiction
4a. biography
4b. structured fiction ("Pilgrim's Progress")
5. Essay collections
6. Unstructured fiction (novels without vauge chapter headings, "Ender's Game")
7. Short-story anthologies

I split #4 into two sections because I find PhotoReading a biography is about the same as PhotoReading structured fiction. Perhaps Pilgrim's Progress isn't the best example, as the author's margin-notes make the job of previewing and specific-activation more-than-easy. It is as if the book was designed with PhotoReaders in mind.

My own personal prejudice is against <I>reading</I> plays, but they would probably fall somewhere around 3.14 on this scale, as they're mostly dialog and direction with little description. The actors and director are left to interpret much of the details.

#37901 08/09/03 02:45 AM

I am currently activating Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible. Its narration is by five females that tell a tale of a long hard journey to the lands of Africa. The group of four includes the mother, who introduces each "Book" or segment of narrations, and her four daughters, 2 shrewd, 1 haughty, one kid. Those children dictate in chapters with their respective names and some chapters indicate their changes (example, Rachel the haughty got married and her name changed . . . and the young kid Ruth dies of an accident and thus narration stops and the 3 others carry on thru rest of the story). This book is a mind job for those who like to get 4 angst girls screaming in your head. I could help to notice how my little sister in her activities after reading this book. She seems more “understandable” and I treat her more “fairly” now. :P

btw Kaiden, I adore Ender's Game.

[This message has been edited by THEChangLiu (edited August 08, 2003).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved