Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38091 08/19/03 11:53 AM
kosmik Offline OP
OP Offline

Can anyone suggest some good texts to work with to read syntopicly and especially a good source of exercises in linear algebra?

I would like (if possible) a good understanding of it, not just parrot my way through...

Kosmik

#38092 08/20/03 11:52 AM

Before I knew about photoreading, I once read a first year linear algebra book, as a review for another course. What I did was just read all the statements of the theorems and corollaries. I didn't read the proofs or the examples. I found it very easy to see and understand every thing in the course.

That being said, many math courses aren't really about the subject content. They are about learning the form of the proof. I've yet to see a math course with more than 4 basic proof / tricks. So find those and learn them and you are set.

PR and the right purpose can make passing course a lot easier. At least from hind sight I believe so.

That's not your synoptic oooops syntopic ready list you were looking for. Try Schaum's notes and other summaries. Just hit the library and you'll find at least a half dozen authors writing on each course. For under standing I would recommend the older books. Those published 50 or more years ago. The courses were thought differently then. My experience is they are less rigorous, meaning less theorem proof stepping, but are an easier source to learn the subject.

Good luck and happy learning,

Iam2

P.S. I won't be back until after the retreat... black out here and the computer is going back off after this post.

#38093 08/20/03 07:19 PM

You know what sad is that I took Linear Algebra back in College, but I don't remember that much about it. Happens sometimes.

What I do remember about it is that it did have a lot of Matrix Math. Off the top of my head I don't remember that many theorems, but then again, I took a couple of math classes that tended to over lap on other subjects.

(Sorry, I'm not much help for this post )

I would suggest reading a good ol' text book, I'm sure there are several on the subject.

#38094 08/20/03 08:45 PM
kosmik Offline OP
OP Offline

there are loads of textbooks :s and some are simply hopeless. Linear is great for the first few lessons and then suddenly we are calculating in goodness knows how many dimensions and eigenvectors and transformations (show that this is a linear transformation... well... erm... it is linear because, well... it is linear because it is linear! So there!).

I'll go to the university library and photoread a couple of older ones and a couple of newer ones and maybe my intuition will tell me which one to use for activation

Thanx anyways
PS: I totally understand not remembering much of it! I love vectors when working with mechanics, but linear/matrix algebra seems soooo abstract sometimes. Oh well *sigh*

Kosmik

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved