Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38095 08/19/03 11:56 AM
kosmik Offline OP
OP Offline

Good suggestions for getting a good grasp of Java? I don't need an extreme level of competence, but I need some solid basics for my engineering course.

I'd like to work syntopically, with one key book for activation, if that sounds reasonable

Kosmik

#38096 08/20/03 01:16 PM

While I still haven't gotten the hang of photoreading, Java is pretty easy if you have a pretty good grasp of programming languages in general. Just remember you can't access the object directly, you have to tell the object to do something . . .

For Example:
You do not start a car by actually putting your hand in the car engine, and playing with stuff internally.

You instead put the key in the ignition, and turn the car on, the mechanics of it shouldn't really be relevant (only to the car) - You tell the car to turn on.

If you can master that portion, you will be well ahead of the game.

#38097 08/20/03 08:55 PM

Could you give a little more detail what your requirements are, kosmik ? And background is probably worth knowing, too. Do you know other programming languages ?

--Brian

#38098 08/25/03 10:38 AM
kosmik Offline OP
OP Offline

My background is simple: I can find my way around a computer, I can make a decent database, and have never done any programming whatsoever in my whole entire life.

For the course I need to write simple programs, basically, I think :s I won't need to officially start learning for another year, but only about 5% of the students pass the first year on the first try because the workload at this university is so great. I'm going to try to get a head start.

Thats about it, I guess.

Kosmik

#38099 08/25/03 11:18 AM

www.java.sun.com

That's where I'm learning my Java for now.

#38100 08/25/03 06:20 PM

Kosmik -

Sounds like fun.
http://java.sun.com has a ton of resources for you. The java tutorial is there, with a lot of code samples. There's also a forum there, which might give you ideas as you search that site for answers.

You might want to find a "starting out book" as well, to go over the programming fundamentals as Java implements them (things like loops, arrays, etc). One example, of many I'm sure, is "Java 2: A Beginner's Guide ".

Another approach might be to do a kind of direct learning of Java/programming now (with several books) and then maybe start going through something like "A Beginner's Guide" in detail in a week or two.

Feel free to post or email me with questions.

--Brian

#38101 08/25/03 06:21 PM

Just adding a thought on the relevance of programming to PR.

You see, large amounts of books are full of useless bull.

PR and activating is superb because it cuts through this bull and gets to the real facts.

I'm currently endeavouring to learn Java.

I love prgramming because EVERYTHING! is relevant.

A whole program can go wrong due to a missed or incorrect syntax.

Of course, Java is an object oriented language which helps a lot.

I think that something like programming would be one of the few areas of study in which you could Not! apply activation alone, without going into normal read mode.

This is because when you are learning how to code, attention to detail is of paramount importance.

PR employs that we get an overall picture of a subject in our subconscious.I believe that PR a book on programming is a good idea for this reason.

I also believe that mind mapping is good to get a picture of the book.

Dipping to get relevant details is all very well but I believe with a book on programming, then only careful study is the option.

You see, we're talking about reading, programming doesn't contain normal words so we first have to understand the meaning of those words/symbols

The reason why it's possible for anyone to PR is because most people can already read.

However, not everyone, not many in fact, people can understand programming.

I know what you'll say."What about learning another human language, isn't that the same as learning programming?"

The difference here is that many other languages have the same letters and symbols.
Programming involves syntax which is unfamiliar in normal human spoken language.

I'm open to suggestion about this and would be interested on hearing peoples thoughts and even find out if I'm wrong in what I currently think.

However, I would warn anybody who wants to be a top programmer, attention to detail is of the highest priority.

[This message has been edited by flex22 (edited August 25, 2003).]

#38102 08/26/03 04:24 PM

Well, there's detail and there's detail.

Your other than conscious resources are well capable of whatever level of detail your programming demands.

I frequently awaken in the morning with a solution to a programming problem. Often, these solutions show a line of code, in its current or in a morphed state.

Lately (perhaps because I've been doing lots of imagestreaming and htt) things have gotten more explicit. Yesterday I awakened with this exact thought: "You forgot to close that 'if' statement". It was a silly error, but I had indeed made it.

I think sometimes it's a matter of getting out of the way. I've become more accepting of the "strange ideas" that spontaneously arrive. Many of them not only compile, but work.

--Brian

#38103 08/27/03 06:36 AM
kosmik Offline OP
OP Offline

hi all,

thanx for good ressource suggestions. I quite agree that I will need to practice java, not only activate! When I receive the PR book and Natural Brilliance I think I will prepare a direct learning approach, let it lie for a while and then attack with a beginners tutorial step by step.

Kosmik

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved