Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38210 09/02/03 02:51 PM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been looking really hard and searching for why it is that I am struggling to master the photoreading technique.

I've just discovered what's been holding me back:

PURPOSE!

I bet the students who excel at photoreading are aces when it comes to stating purpose.

Stating purpose seems an obvious thing.

Today though, I needed to know the answers to some questions.
I simply looked in the index and went to the page.There you go, I find my answers.

This technique is very static though.

I love the photoreading techniue because it's so dynamic, so evolutionary.

I need to focus on purpose.

How do you people who excel state your purpose.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

I'm upbeat at the moment because although I'm making little progress, I think I've realised what's been holding me back.

Once I crack this nut then I think I'm nearly there.

Thanks!

#38211 09/02/03 03:48 PM
Administrator
Administrator

For me my purpose is usually dual in nature. My inital purpose is usually along the lines of what I expect from the book in the long term. I.e. how the information in the book is going to serve me in my life when I use it in the long term as well as finding out how I can use it in the long term. This usually helps hone me in one my questions to find the ideas that are useful to me.

My secondary purpose is usually along the lines of finding the information that serves me 'now'. Usually along the lines of how does this information help me and why should I consider it. What do I need to consciously know to use this information...

Alex

#38212 09/02/03 03:55 PM

I would say I excel, but it works for me. When I state a purpose I usually do it with ideas like: I want the information that will be most useful for me to do..., What ideas will be most useful for me to...., What ideas in this book will help me do....

I guess my questions are designed to help me solve some problem that is real and immediate in my life. I can hear the but what if it's not that kind of material. Hmmmm, well I read an autobiography. I didn't care about all the facts and events in this persons life. I wanted to know what events shaped their life and made them the kind of person they were. I was genuinely curious about the person. I also asked what ideas and beliefs does this person have that would be useful for me to have more happiness in my life?

I always try and make a purpose that is meaningful to me, and the acquiring of information is just a necessary step on the way there.

Hope that helps.

Sending love to all,
Iam2

#38213 09/03/03 05:46 AM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex, you raise a good point.Thinking long term is something I'll work on more.

Iam2, your point about making the information just a means of getting somewhere is an excellent point also.

I've thought back on instances where I've had to learn something, and I've done it well.

I have always learned something when I truly have an end in sight, or more to the point, a purpose, a goal, whatever.

In fact, not an end, a new beginning.

These instances of learning are a great insight.Like Iam2 says, the things you have to learn come easily when they aren't the main point.

I know that my problem at the moment is that I have a million details to learn and I'm swamped in them.I can't see a way out.

My purpose at present is that "my course says that I have to know all these details in order to pass"

That's a stupid purpose.

My purpose should be "My purpose is to reach this stage in my studies and to gain a be able to accomplish these goals."

Anyway, something like that.Taking the emphasis off detail and seeing the bigger picture is what I know I need to do.

This interests me greatly and I'd love to hear more examples of peoples "Purposes"

I'm going to keep working at this.

Thanks for your advice, it helps me greatly

#38214 09/02/03 07:46 PM
Administrator
Administrator

What is the ultimate purpose of your course? What skills are you seeking to acquire through this course to apply in your life? What do you need to know in order to demonstate these skills?

When you begin to answer questions like these it's surprising how intuitive you seem to become. Even when you cannot consciously form questions sometime your inner mind will guide you to both the question and the answer toward what you need to know to successfully complete the course.

Alex

#38215 09/02/03 08:13 PM

If you can visualize what you would do AFTER you've acquired the information. I don't me getting an 100% on the exam. Something like being a TA for the course next term, teaching it to others. Or as you are going through the course, asking really challenging and probing questions of the Prof. If you can do this, and associate with the feeling of USING this knowledge, then your purpose will be all that more powerful for you.

Sending love to all,
Iam2

P.S. I was right behind you on that last post Alex. In fact, I thought I had beaten you to the punch.

#38216 09/02/03 08:18 PM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

I agree AlexK.

I now know why it says in the book that the whole thing isn't worth it unless you have purpose, and that that purpose is meaningful and relevant.
(not a direct quote but I believe it's along those lines).

I've photoread a book and had absolutely nothing from it.I know when I look back I remember that I wasn't even interested in the book.I can't expect my brain to just come up with answers when it has no desire to do so.

I'll experiement and write down different purposes.

I'll use your suggestions and see how it goes.I'm sure there'll be a difference.

Thanks!

#38217 09/02/03 08:21 PM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey guys, look at the times we all posted on the last three posts.

We must have had an inner calling to post at that time.

Or it could have just been coincidence lol

Thanks and be well.

#38218 09/03/03 06:34 AM

Very interesting, useful posts.

Perhaps useful, maybe even on topic:
http://www.winwenger.com/predict.htm

(Predictive Images and a priori knowledge).

(on topic in the sense that if you can get a predictive image about a book, that might help you find purpose in reading it).

Enjoy,

-Brian

#38219 09/03/03 10:54 AM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

Absolutely BRILLIANT! article.

Bolaughlin, your a star!

It was an education reading that article because I already knew it, it has just been drawn out of me.

So may things have been like that since I started this whole accelerated learning.

Throughout my posts, I find myself always saying

"yeah, I've always known this but it just cleared it up for me."

I feel like I have to give credit to myself, not because I don't want to give the author or other student credit, it's just that I'm acknowledging the fact that it has been drawn further out so that I notice it.

I thank the contributor because they have 'educated' me.

More amazingly, I have tried this technique before, but i thought I was making something up that nobody else used.

I only thought this then because I wasn't communicating with very rare and highly attuned people like yourselves.

A few months ago I started to make symbols to correspond to the the different subjects in my course.I tried circles of different colours at first.But then I found that there were very few highly distinguishable colours, so I moved onto shapes and colours.

I stopped doing this though because I got sidetracked with other stuff.

My reason for starting to use symbols was because on IQ tests, I always had a high visual spatial intelligence score.i thought that I had better use this intelligence to the upmost.

I'm sure what I was trying to do, is what Win Wenger was explaining.

This has blown me away.I'm definitely going to start my symbol strategy again.

I'd love to hear how other people have used this technique.

I need to know how many symbols I should use?

Should I have one symbol for the whole course and then more symbols for the different stages?

Is just one main symbol better?

Please give you opinions on the best method.

Thanks alot for the education

[This message has been edited by flex22 (edited September 03, 2003).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved