Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
expance Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I recently did a weekend Photoreading course in order to help me at college. I have been advised to prepare and photoread lectures before they take place. To activate the read material before hand. The material is highly technical as I am studying computer science. My lecturers have co-operated by advancing lectures before the event. I am wondering if I can read on other subjects on same day and activate during lecture using mind maps. I have very little time to keep up and like to use time efficiently.

Another concern is how to photoread arithmetic material.

Motivation is not an issue since I am driven to learn achieve high grades. I generally can formulate good questions.

Forgot to ask if its a good idea to photoread twice. For example, my lecture is on Tuesday. So I preview, photo read, post view today. I repeat the same tomorrow and Monday. Then use mind maps to Spontaneously
activate during lecture.

Many thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by expance (edited September 20, 2003).]

Administrator
Administrator

You can photoread as many books as you want in a day. In fact it's often advised to photoread 3 to 10 books a day and activate at least one of those books per week.

You can safely photoread more than one book and on more than one subject. You'll probably find it easier to group them into common subjects.

Photoreading and allowing the class to be the activation session works just fine. You can activate more after the class if you desire. The only time I would suggest you really make the effort to start activating before the class is when the lecturers require you to have 'read the material' before the lecture.

So your idea of mind mapping and activation during class is valid.

Maths material... photoread it anyway. You will still need to do the activation which is doing the working out of the problems. When you get stuck. Try taking a deep breath, photoread the textbook again (from cover to cover) take a 20 minute break and try again. Photoreading works well for all subjects. It's the conscious mind that stalls on taking up the information from either the inner mind or the book. Be patient by photoreading again you're telling your inner mind...'look at this again and present it so that my conscious mind understands'.

Yes photoreading the material daily is Okay and can be a good Idea. Not absolutely necessary, so if for some reason you cannot photoread the text again, no worries. Look at photoreading the text more than once as a way of honing your photoreading skills (focus, chant, steady pace, affirmations etc) rather than necessary to the grade.

Alex

Hi.

What is the recommended time period between photoreading different books. Also, what is the time period for a break between 30 or 40 minutes of work?

Thank you.

Administrator
Administrator

Just ensure you state your purpose for each book. As long as you're comfortable each book can follow on. One after the other.

After 30 to 40 minutes take at least a 5 minute break. That means getting right away from the work area. After the second 30 to 40 minutes a longer break is recomended, 10 to 20 minutes (not too long less it breaks the momentum too much ). You know of course not to bother studying any one subject longer than 4 hours even with a break. Research shows that this can actually cause your decline in learning and remembering what you already learnt.

I've experimented with photoreading books one after the other. An hour (with breaks, selecting the next book). I've photoread quite a few books during that hour, some have partially activated for me others I selected for fuller activation.

Alex

Thank You Alex.

expance Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Alex!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved