Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38705 09/29/03 05:01 AM
TobyEL Offline OP
OP Offline

I was wondering how you pull out phrases for meaing? I think that I do this sometimes, but other times, I feel that I have to read a paragrah before knowing what to dig out. I have been trying to go through all my old magazines & articles that I printed from the internet, so that I can trash them & wanted to do the job faster. Thanks Toby

Administrator
Administrator

You read in groups of words 3 to 4 at a time that are phrases. Check out pages 61 to 63 of the PhotoReading book 3rd edition. Work on rhythmic perusal so you can look for phrases better.

Alex

TobyEL Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply,Alex. I'll work more on that. Sometimes I find that the more I learn & know, the more I need to know. Maybe it's the working from the whole to the parts thing. I found out that I was an auditory learner, so was wondering how this would affect, if any, my learning style. I like to hear the words, yet I know that this slows me down. Toby

Administrator
Administrator

I like to subvocalise too. I personally find that hearing words and phrases works faster for me than drawing mental pictures. While I still note the extreme wording. I find that I am subvocalising the more important stuff and skipping the rest.

I don't ever plan to stop subvocalising.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited September 30, 2003).]

TobyEL Offline OP
OP Offline

Your right Alex. I think if I work on hearing the more important words or phrases & try to skim my eyes over the rest, I'll have better understanding. I think that's why when I tried to not to subvocalize in the past, I had a lot of problems comprehending what I was reading. In my opinion, photoreading is by far the most exciting reading/learning program that I have ever encountered. I'm just a beginner, but I have made vast improvements in my reading. Thank you Alex K. & everyone here for helping me. I'm sure I'll still have questions, until I have everything down pat. Toby

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved