Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38737 10/01/03 09:51 PM
siren83 Offline OP
OP Offline

Does anyone have some articles or ideas or secrets to have a more relaxed gaze or to improve the speedness of reading?
Even some exercise to do better the speed reading...everything!

*Sara*

PS...or some ideas to let you read whithout hearing your inner self reading...

#38738 10/02/03 10:25 AM
Administrator
Administrator

The best technique to start with is rhythmic perusal. Its explained between pages 61 and 63 of the photoreading book.

Playing with stereograms helps for photofocus.

Expanding peripheral vision you can do things like noticing what is to the sides of you more like when you're dirving, watch TV side one and see if you can follow what is happening. Even day dreaming has it's benefits

Alex

#38739 10/02/03 01:16 PM

Not sure if this will help you, but for "speed reading" I tend to chant, say over and over slowly, OMM or something similar while my eyes go rapidly across the text from left to right, but not so fast that I cannot comprehend the words or phrases. My eyes "see" the words and I comprehend them but it stops what you called "hearing your inner self reading..." Nicely put. That's exactly what I do when pleasure reading novels; I "speak" the parts, and hear discriptions as if someone were reading them to me! Fine for that type of reading, but not for texts.

I was just doing this yesterday - and I think I'm getting the hang of it pretty well. This I do after the PR stages - it helps (me, anyway) pull all the text together. Then later I go back, if needed/wanted, to pick out any information that I seemed to have missed when going over questions, either my own or questions in the book or test study handouts in class. Usually don't have to go back much.

Hope this makes sense to you -
Also key (very important) is to relax. If you worry about not "getting it" or "I'm going to miss something" then your mind won't let you absorb the meaning of the lines and phrases just by you skimming over them. Then you'll be back to having to sound each word out, one by one!

Ann

#38740 10/02/03 01:50 PM

Siren83, Alex and Ann are right.

The other thing I'll add is do the dipping technique on large pieces of writing. Dipping is a very rapid eye movement. Too fast to verbalize.

I know this sounds more like Just Do It. However, I guess I'm suggesting that you practice this step of the PWMS on it's own. Use material you don't Need to know. Pick up a magazine, newpaper, fiction book.

The trick is to not let yourself verbalize. I would say if you verbalize two words in a row you should let your eyes slide faster.

Relax and NOPS it. You'll be pleasantly surprised at what you will pick up.

I know this crosses over to one of your other posts, but open your field of visual awareness. See three or four words. Then more and more then the whole line. However, if you are seeing about 3 inches worth of the line then the dipping will go more smoothly. If you narrow your field of awareness to a single word you will slow down and verbalize.

Also when you do some normal reading, let your field of vision widen. Be aware of several words on either side of the one you are reading. This alone will speed up your traditional reading.

Remember the P in NOPS is Play with it... that implies you are having fun and you are trying things.

You are perfection,
Iam2

#38741 10/02/03 01:58 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Actually dipping is close to regular reading you slow right down.

Superreading is where you move your eyes down the page too fast to subvocalise. In that way superreading becomes the best tool to tone down subvocalisation.

Personally it is something I choose not to change. For me it is actually useful for remembering words to use my subvocalisation skills.

Alex

#38742 10/02/03 02:44 PM

Don't get me going again AlexK

Me and the dipping is really speed reading debate can begin AGAIN.

Maybe Dana will post a bit if I start that argument again.

I will agree that most people traditional read when they dip. However, as I KNOW you know, that's not how it's described in the system. For someone who reads at 200 to 400 wpm dipping is not normal reading. Maybe for people who normally read at 1000 wpm or more then dipping is the same as reading.

P.S. Nice to see someone on the forums.

P.P.S. Everything that gets a result is valuable.

You are perfection,
Iam2

[This message has been edited by Iam2 (edited October 02, 2003).]

#38743 10/02/03 04:01 PM
Administrator
Administrator

It isn't an arguement. It's what Paul taught in his photoreading class. Dipping is when you slow down for a regular read. You don't stay at it long but you 'do read' a sentence or two o perhaps the whole paragraph. The thing is not to get stuck doing that and get going again with superreading asap.

So for someone who reads at 200 to 400 words per minute they are going to dip at 250 to 500 words per minute, true. Like driving a car on the freeway. You often don't slow down as much as you should when you come off the freeway. However it just becomes your natural reading speed in the long run.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved