Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39094 10/25/03 06:31 AM
Rene Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay so its a Friday. . .(actually its past midnight so its saturday now, but thats not the point) . . .I had 2 grade 11 unit exams and, mostly with the social exam, found my mind wondering way off into other stuff as well as when I was reading the source information for some of the questions i'd read it word for word and didnt even know what the last word i read is. . you know what I mean?

So my question is this. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep my mind on track and what reading strategies should I use to read the actual test questions? Just regular read?

I ask this because I was almost unable to finish both of my tests today and I know there is a solution. . .somwhere

Thanks
Rene

#39095 10/25/03 09:29 AM
Administrator
Administrator

One of the reasons your mind wandered off is because you were reading too slow. The mind can think at 500 words per minute and regular reading is generally too slow. So read faster is one way.

The other thing you could have done to improve your focus is use the tangerine technique. This has been found to help many keep their focus on the task before them

Third thing you should have done is some quick mental maths. Note the total time allowed for the test and divide that by the number of questions you have to answer. Eg 60 minutes for the test 28 questions so divide 60 by 30 that means you have about 2 minutes per answer. Knowing this with your watch on the table you notice when you should be starting the next question. It stops the mind from wandering off thinking it has all the time in the world. Notice I rounded the number up. This buys you a little time to go back to any questions that you had to leave unanswered. Also to be sure that I have time left over I'd be pushing to get the answers in 90 seconds and moving on to the next question ASAP. That way I'd leave 10 to 15 minute to go back over those tricky questions. As well as that a timer is a great way to keep focus so go into a test with a watch with a second hand and do keep an eye on it. Place it on the table where you can quickly see it if you cannot place it on your wrist in a fasion that allows you to quickly glance at it.

An interesting thing too often the first answer that jumps into the mind is correct by having a deadline you prevent yourself from analysing it to death (literally) only to pick the wrong answer.

Be prepared. Another way to have focus during the test.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved