Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
seto Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been trying to get this program to work for a while now, I keep putting it off. But now I am back again, hopefully I will get somewhere this time.

But I've had a question I've been dying to ask for a long time now.

When entering "photo focus" the text on the page becomes blurry. How can my mind process what it cannot see?

I have heard from other online sources argue about this point, that this whole PR system relies only on the "skimming" of text, or "activation" and that the "photo focus" part is merely useless.

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by seto:
I've been trying to get this program to work for a while now, I keep putting it off. But now I am back again, hopefully I will get somewhere this time.

But I've had a question I've been dying to ask for a long time now.

When entering "photo focus" the text on the page becomes blurry. How can my mind process what it cannot see?

How do you step out of your mind and decide it doesn't understand something just because it presented it to your conscious mind as blurred? How do you know the other than conscious mind hasn't gone... Well you know now is not a good time to waste with this as per your instructions it will be handled by the other than conscious mind.

The fact is that focus is nothing more than that mental focus on what aspect of your world is right in front of your face that you are going to have a conscious awareness off. You throw your awareness at what you want to see but the mind is still seeing. I came across some interesting research that explains some recent discovery of eye processing. And led to some interesting theory. Which I feel would make this post way too long winded.

The short of it is. The same eyes are looking at the book all that you have done is tell your brain that you want the boader view. Unlike a camera. The eye is able to record everything faithfully with clarity however the conscious mind can only accomodate the 5 to 9 bits of information at once so that you're not distracted by what the mind consciders at this time unimportant it remains blurred. The momen it becomes important if comes into sheer sharp focus. So while photoreading we are asking the other than conscious mind to process the information in the book in much the same way as it processes the rest of the world around us and in keeping with the conscious mind aggreement, what is not important to the conscious mind right now is blurred.

In much the same way our memory plays back an accident scene in clear sharp focus and yet we only witness the accident out of the corner of the eye and it usually happens to fast to even notice that our focus hasn't changed that part was still blurred till we turned our head.

quote:
I have heard from other online sources argue about this point, that this whole PR system relies only on the "skimming" of text, or "activation" and that the "photo focus" part is merely useless.

Yes there are those who say that. Like in the aesop fable. The fox saw some grapes high in the bush and wanted to taste the grapes, He jumped and jumped and jumped once more and thought this is too much work I'm not jumping myself to exhaustion they are probably sour grapes anyway and walks away. Human nature of today remains largely unchanged.

There is heaps of research available that provides evidence of the minds ablility at implicit learning that supports that photoreading work's, unfortunately many prefer to believe that unless you can absolutely prove it to them then it must be sour grapes.

Consider this, letters are merely symbols that represent sounds we make. Where is the evidence that the mind is capable of decipering these in the first place? And if the mind can decipher symbols and is capable of infromation processing at incredible speeds, (afterall it doesn't take days to notice that you've just sat down on a pin). Why must we limit the speed at which we can absorb and intepret the information that is only symbolism anyway (what we call reading)?

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited October 26, 2003).]

when you photoread you are not using your conscious mind you are using the other than conscious mind, the preconscious processor.That part of your brain is much more powerful than the part of your brain that can do only maybe 5,6, or 7 things at the same time.The other than conscious mind can do 20,000 things at the same time.The storage capacity of the inner mind exceeds the capacity of the conscious mind 10 billion to one. Think about that 10 billion to one. Your brain is more that capable of processing that information and you don't want the conscious mind interfering or getting in the way of the other than conscious mind. You want to expose the information from the book to the part of your brain that can do 20,000 things at the same time and note that that is the other than conscious mind. There is no way the conscious mind could attend to 20,000 things at the same time it can handle only 6 or 7 things at a time but the other that conscious mind can handle 20,000 at the same time and that is what you are tapping into when you go into photofocus and photoread.You notice the term Photoreading Whole Mind system. you use the conscious part of your brain in activation having a purpose asking questions and finding answers to those questions when superreading and dipping. sincerely, photoread4me.

Seto; think about this here you have Paul
Scheele this great man whom i consider a genius who creates this wonderful technology that is going to help many people reach their maximum potential.Do you think the Minnesota education board said oh that is wonderful Mr. Scheele that you are doing this great work.NO it did not fit their paradigm so since they could not understand it they considered it not valid.This kind of reminds me of Copernicus when people had a hard time believing that planets revolve around the sun. sincerely, photoread4me.

Who was it that was imprisoned until his death for daring to write a book that said that Copernicus was right -- the Earth was not the center of the Universe ... Galileo?
It offended the prevailing view at the time.

*A* fellow traveler

seto Offline OP
OP Offline

Alright, I have been convinced. That was easy *laughs*. I guess I just needed a little motivation.

Way off topic, and I might start a new post on this, but has anyone tried meditating before PR'ing? I'm thinking about meditating for an hour or so and then doing PR, maybe this will help?

Hey - funny you should mention that.
I have recently begun to "get into state" for maybe 15 minutes before opening my eyes, and adjusting the book on my lap to then photoread. I can't believe how much more ... intense? this is. I feel for the first time that I am truly in the accelerated learning state, not just counting down from 5 and relaxing, but really in ... a zone. Not sure what to call it. But it was definitely a shift from what I've been doing all along. Felt great. I feel more confident now, and I was confident before!!

I am impressed, and will continue to do this PR method with this meditative - in zone - deeper level ... whatever for the next 6 weeks, as this is my time frame to work on school books, as well as "gell" the rest of the LOTR trilogy that I'm finishing up before ROTK comes out!!

*A* fellow traveler

I think it comes down to being really clear on what your purpose is and what is it exactly that you want to get from this book. You really have to tell your conscious mind what you want to get or learn from the book. That is why your purpose is so crucial. If you do not know what your purpose is for the book your conscious mind will not know what to look for. If you tell your conscious mind exactly what you want you greatly increase the odds of achieving your goal. Do a search on Iam2. He had a really great post awhile back on purpose. In my opinion meditation is wonderful but it sounds like you really need to focus on what your purpose is. I think that is why people have a problem with photoreading they have no idea what their purpose is or what they want to get from the book and purpose is crucial to the photoreading whole mind system. sincerely, photoread4me.

Iam2 and AlexK helped me greatly in this post on purpose, it's worth a look, not for my rambling lol, but for their helpful advice.
Check it out: http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/003857.html

seto Offline OP
OP Offline

Alright, let's see ... what is my purpose? My purpose is to know all the material in the book so that I can do well on my exams. Is this purpose too broad? Maybe it's better to break this down into smaller purposes somehow?

As well, I'm reading books on mostly programming and advanced math topics. So would it be a good idea to make several passes through the book and stating a different purpose each time? For example, "I want to know about pointers" and "I want to fully understand polymorphism"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved