Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39420 11/11/03 02:03 PM
LG Offline OP
OP Offline

Alexk:could you tell me,for most of the failer,what they can't do correctly,what they had ignored?

#39421 11/11/03 02:25 PM
Administrator
Administrator

No body actually ever fails. They give up yes. Fail no. They learnt something if they take the time to reflect on it.

What is the bigest problem that people face when they learn something different like photoreading?

They go into it with ideas and expectations of what they think it should be and how they think it should be done. A bit like the Zen story.

quote:
A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master. While the master quietly served tea, the professor talked about Zen. The master poured the visitor's cup to the brim, and then kept pouring. The professor watched the overflowing cup until he could no longer restrain himself. "It's overfull! No more will go in!" the professor blurted. "You are like this cup," the master replied, "How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup.

If you want to learn photoreading you need to adopt the beginners mind. That means no comparing it to reading as you already know it. It means being playful in your approach. Realising that you may need to give yourself the time to discover the reason why you are supposed to do each step.

Consider the book like a master of the ancient practices. Often the master will tell you to do this, then this, and finally that. You often don't understand why but if you're a diligent student you will just follow all those steps and one day realise the secret that the master has actually taught you.

If you want to succeed with photoreading. Do like Paul says 'go easy on yourself'. It is all a learning experience. Once you've learnt the intial steps you keep repeating them over and over till one day you realise. You had it all along.

Remember use the beginners mind. Put aside everything you think you know about reading and even photoreading and just do the steps. Each time approach it (use the 5 day test often) be like an explorer discovering a new sight. Describe it to yourself after the experience not while you are experiencing it.

Notice the experience on it's own merit don't compare it to regular reading or speed reading.

There is no failure. If you quit. Then it's a decision to shelve a project however it is not true failure because you will have learnt something from the experience or even something about yourself.

Alex

#39422 11/11/03 03:08 PM

Alex -
As always, I enjoy your analogies!

*A* fellow traveler

#39423 11/11/03 09:18 PM

I was forwarded here and even though I'm not a member of "Paul's" system, I'm in a different program with the same initiatives. Photoreading is known to us as iReading.

I haven't replied to anything even though I've read countless of your posts which are much more elaborate (longer existence) than ours.

The reason I replied this time around is because I too would like to commend you, AlexK, as you're posts look extremely exhausting and you keep going for it in different ways...may the force be with you, grasshopper, as you have many friends (more than you'll ever know).

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved