Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

After taking a few different tests in a Reading class, I've been informed by teacher & documentation that I'm at a "post-highschool level" which they cannot measure because it's off highschool charts, when it comes to reading skills.

This is mildly impressive, but beyond this, it showed that while I'm not only in the Above Average category, I am in the 89th percentile rank of that category, meaning that I've scored equal to higher than 89% of participants my same age in the country. I plan on scanning the paper that shows this, and sending it to Learning Strategies in case they want to use it as a testimonial thing, or somethin'.

Having said that, guys, I've got some things to let you in on. You may notice that around here, I've been almost dead silent. The reason being for this is that I've been working continuously 'under the cone of silence,' on several different projects. More than anything, though, I've been writing paper after paper for school.

I've suffered a hard drive failure on one of my drives, and unfortunately, this is data that has not been backed up, and CONTAINS the redesign to my website:The World of YoungPRer. I'm working with the situation around the clock, or as much as I can, and while it may cost me as much as $140 for getting this data recovered, I assure you the newly refurbished World of YoungPRer will exist nonetheless, however with possible delays.

Having said that, if all goes as originally planned - the redesign and relocation of the site will be located at: www.YOUNGPRER.com and will launch on the wonderful snowy evening of December 27th, 2003. As the advertising goes for the site - Youth Evolves 12.27.03! Among new additions to every section, it will feature a Spring Feature exclusive to PhotoReading, as well as a new and improved PhotoReading Tips section(which has recently undergone mild critique by Paul Scheele himself. )

I'll also be making an official announcement regarding LucidGame Group's progress, tests, and projects this weekend. Wish me luck everyone, and good luck to all of you!

-youngprer
geocities.com/doc5587
pub117.ezboard.com/btheworldofyoungprer

::::::::::::::::
YOUTH EVOLVES
YOUNGPRER.COM
Coming Soon
::::::::::::::::

Congratulations!

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited December 08, 2003).]

My gigantic Congratulations!
I am still trying to do the system work smoothly.
But this is amazing YoungPRer!!!!

BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

Could you describe these tests more, as in what material you were reading, did you use skittering or dipping more, etc.
Interesting to know.

OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by flex22:
BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

Could you describe these tests more, as in what material you were reading, did you use skittering or dipping more, etc.
Interesting to know.

The test that I took pretty recently that is, in part contributing to these scores is the STAR Reading Test. I looked up a little bit of information on it right here real quick this morning: http://www.renlearn.com/starreading/default.htm

Outside of this though, I'm also involved with something called the 'EDL Program' but I have to find out what that stands for. EDL is something we do routinely in that class on a daily basis, and as of yesterday I was moved to its highest reading level containing the most difficult vocabulary, and advanced skills.

-youngprer
geocities.com/doc5587

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Paul's criticism of youngprer's site was not "mild."

Paul said, "Unfortunately, you are dealing out dis-informative answers."

Here is one example. Youngperer says: "The two link almost completely, however. dipping is simply going down the center section of the page, and getting any text that attracts you."

Paul says, "Wrong. Super reading goes down the center, dipping goes left to right."

Youngperer has been a wonderful contributor to the Forum, and he has had neat successes with PhotoReading.

But, when you want coaching, get it here or from one of our trained coaches or instructors, and you can be assured of getting good and useful advice.

Ouch, you got SLAMMED!

Pete with the low blow!

No need to start any flames here guys - Pete is just doing his job and responsibly letting us know how it is, which isn't really a "low blow".

I have looked over youngprer's sites and forum and he is obviously very interested in these things, however, learning photoreading or any other wonderful development technique doesn't take the place of or speed up the basic emotional maturation process. I am in no way putting down on young people - but having been there myself - I can tell you, no matter how high your IQ is, there is still so much to learn.

OP Offline

I guess it depends on your interpretation. The e-mail that Paul sent me was pretty short, and direct. From that perspective, it just seemed "mild" to me because of the shortness. I hope that Pete and Paul aren't getting a little uneasy about the page, I have enormous, tremendous respect and honor to you guys, and I have not intended to give out disinformative answers. I have stated here before that Paul sent me that e-mail, and I have been notified of these mistakes. It upsets me, but I haven't had the time to correct the page, with how busy I've been.

I understand that Learning Strategies are the top dog in teaching PhotoReading, and I know that Paul himself created the system, so he should know, of course. I have never presumed that my Tips page is the reliable, ideal place for PhotoReading advice. I completely agree with Pete that LSC is the best place to go, my site is simply there as an outside resource from my personal experience.

Super Reading and dipping are linked almost completely. Maybe you don't see it that way. But think about it, you combine the two during activation, don't you? "You quickly tune into a dip in, grab it consciously, and then move on," Paul said himself on the News Report, and I believe he also mentioned taking your eyes down the center of the page. In the PR book, that was my interpretation. I don't believe this to be wrong, and though it could possibly mislead others, I have become successful with the system during my time using it. Not to mention, I'm always getting increasingly better with every book I go through. It's true that I have misunderstood a little bit about the differences of the two in regard to down the center, and left to right.

So everyone can know EXACTLY what Paul pointed out, and know this NOW, here is the entire e-mail Paul sent me:

quote:

I just looked at your website that contains questions and answers on
PhotoReading.

Unfortunately, you are dealing out dis-informative answers. Alex K
pointed it out to me...It would be a good idea for you to work with her and get
some of the mistakes out. For example:

What's the difference between SuperReading, RapidReading, PhotoReading,
dipping, and all the kinds of readings and my God I'm lost?!!

Reasonable statement, but amplifies a person's confusion.

SuperReading is sort of like dipping, but rather a smoother,
quicker, more relying on scanning method of dipping.

No. And your answer introduces "scanning" a term we don't use in the course purposefully.

The two link almost completely, however. dipping is simply going down
the center section of the page, and getting any text that attracts you.

Wrong. Super reading goes down the center, dipping goes left to right.

PhotoReading is...well read about Step 3! RapidReading should only
be done, as mentioned in the PhotoReading book, after all of the other
steps! It's when you don't know what you need from the book, but you know you
need something else that you haven't gotten.

Close. You are right about one of the criteria for when you would use
Rapid reading, but this doesn't explain the step.

You are also missing postviewing which has proven to be essential to
anyone who isn't getting the value of PhotoReading, and Skittering, which are
super important for about half the population of PhotoReaders.

SO...would you be willing to work with an instructor to clean up your
site?

--
Sincerely,

Paul R. Scheele
Chairman

Learning Strategies Corporation
2000 Plymouth Rd * Plymouth, Minnesota 55305-2335 USA
952-476-9200 * 800-735-8273 * FAX 952-475-2373 http://www.LearningStrategies.com

Outside of the Tips page revision, I'm doing a YoungPRer Spotlight section on the site for its Spring 'issue.' You'll get a lot more advanced than the basics of the Tips page. The Tips page has also not changed much since I wrote it back in October of 2002, which at that time, I was still getting down the system for concrete use.

Now that I hope I've resolved the confusion, and the gap in the entire story behind the Tips page, I'm hoping we can put it behind us for now. Please do not worry about it, think about it, or talk about it anymore.

-youngprer
geocities.com/doc5587

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved