Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I got my midterm exam results today, and although I'm happy with them overall, I clearly see that I could have done a little better on some, and a LOT better on others. It's a "simple" matter of test-taking skills. I've had this issue for a while, and now I'm ready to put forth a great effort to finally show what I know on paper easily and efficiently so that my grades on tests will reflect my level of knowledge accurately or even more positively than it really is. Tests are a system, and many have learned how to take advantage of them in order to appear to have done better on a given subject when it is really that they are mostly good at taking tests, put quite simply.

This is not a new idea for me, but I'm ready to do it NOW. I have in front of me a stack of books that I can use for Direct Learning and/or syntopic reading. I want suggestions on what my best bet is for efficiently accomplishing this goal? I have done relaxed visualization of my goals on and off, and I will most certainly continue when I feel the need. How much/often do you think I should visualize, and should I simply integrate it with the DirectLearning timeline technique? (I have the Genius Code course and have just finished listening to the High Think Tank exercise, but not yet done it. I did my DirectLearning initially on five tennis books in order to improve my game's flow and relaxed consistency. What other proactive steps can/should I take in order to best accomplish this task of improving my ability to perform in testing situations?

Keep in mind that I have already taken steps to take tests better, and they have already given me results. Most of this year I've used at least some type of relaxation exercise (I'm now fond of the 3-2-1 because it feels better than previous ones have) and I've made a conscious effort to periodically make sure I'm breathing deeply and that my muscles are as relaxed as I can let them be.

So I have taken these books out in an initiative to finish this process of mastering test-taking. It's an extremely valuable skill for me to have, and it will make my life inifinitely easier and more relaxed. I have the ability to score high on the SAT. I know I can easily ace every upcoming math test. I know for a fact that if my tests properly reflected what I have known, each of my Chemistry tests would have resulted in a high A or A+.

I have discovered so far that the main issues I currently perceive that have blocked my full success are "careless" (but I really have tried my best to take care!) mistakes such as marking the wrong answer, forgetting to add a number, mis-"reading" the problem, and most frequently, simply not quite having the mental clarity to see the answer at first on some problems, no matter how easy and simple they are.

Is it worth my while to devote half an hour or so this week of time at home to go farther throught the Genius Code course to these ends? Shall I commence my DirectLearning from this bunch of test-taking skills books? How can I find the best answer and solution for me?

I know you'll cut right through all of those tons of verbage and give me a great answer in no time, AlexK, Iam2 (if you're around), et all!

I sure appreciate it! I feel that this is a worthy goal indeed. I just need enough guidance.

-CameronJ

Administrator
Administrator

http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000707.html

That's the best place to start looking at your test taking strategies.

I have notes that I was prepared to write into an article for a strategy for both studying for and taking test. Due to a lack of interest I've never written them up and have from time to time mentioned portions throughout the forum.

Unfortunately the lenght to which I would have to write and time involved it would be an article rather than a post. If there were enough interest I would have written it by now.

Alex

OP Offline

Alright, AlexK. Thanks for the response. The other day I actually did find and print out that article by Dana, but it seems so simple. There must be some additional strategies too. I will certainly use his suggestions, but if you ever find the time to post your "article," I would really appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by CameronJ (edited January 07, 2004).]

Administrator
Administrator

Dana (he) posted that from Paul. That is indeed the basics and yes there are some more strategies that I know of that one could apply. I'll consider writing the article if there is enough demand as yet there hasn't been any.

BTW I have applied that technique in a Taxidermy exam needed to name correct perserving agents and exactly the correct steps. Had to go as far as asking the instructor for the answer in my mind but scored 99.8% on the test. Not that it was significant since the course was pass or fail

Alex

OP Offline

Sorry, Dana! There's a girl in my class called Dana, and I slipped, posting quickly too early in the morning!

[This message has been edited by CameronJ (edited January 07, 2004).]

YES!! Alex..I for one would love to know more tricks on studing material such as the sciences and large boring text books I am about to encounter.
My books will be of medical stuff and allot of terms.
Please write the article Alex!!!!

Administrator
Administrator

Well I can give you a tip right now.

Avoid referring to the textbooks as 'boring' challenge yourself to get excited by the information in them. Attitude goes a long way towards success in studying (considered by many to be the prime factor in success).

If you say the books are boring you're going to react accordingly making it difficult to open the mind to understanding the text. This isn't just positive thinking, just think back to your experiences with stuff you conceived as boring... did you ever get motivated to do them and how much effort do you have to put into motivating yourself? How different is it when something is interesting... raises curiosity, perhaps you've had the experience in being absorbed in trying to solve a puzzle simply because you were curious what the answer was?

The preconceived notion that textbooks are boring is a emotional block towards studying.

In reality textbooks are only resources that provide information that helps you solve puzzles (finding answers to the questions that build your learing).

You'll find much more joy in using them if you don't label them boring.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved