Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40062 01/07/04 08:21 PM
max Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

I am waiting to receive my photoreading homestudy course. I have browsed this forum thouroughly and also photoread and activated (to the best of my abilities) the photoreading book.

While I await the tapes et al, I have started playing the dictionary game:

I am having a surprising success-rate, usually getting correct page, correct column, wrong quadrant. Sometimes I get the inverted/mirrored location.

A couple of times I have tried for words that actually didn't appear in the dictionary (I am using an 800 page English-Dutch dictionary) like "blatantly" and "tetrahedron". I did get the place on the page that they would have been in, had they been in the dictionary.

Sometimes, of course, it is a complete miss, which for some odd reason doesn't dishearten me

I have been experimenting with a few of the suggestions in the archives:

I sometimes imagine the word appear on a black&white page in
colour,
larger size,
3 dimensions,
luminescent
hovering
or any combination of the above.

I have also suggested a whole string of words, not actually trying for them until I get one that I decide to try out, or one that is surprising or unexpected.

This has helped me remove the tension and keep it more at a game level. Maybe it also helps distract the conscious mind, giving space to the subconscious to yell out it's own suggestions.

I have also experimented with imagining a blank screen where I ask - which side? (imagine flashing light), then: which column? (imagine flashing light again). Then: Which quadrant? (same procedure).

Sometimes I will just imediately decide on a location, no flashing lights, no colours, words or fancy special effects. Just - left page, lower right hand corner.

I don't feel like I "know" - just comfortably guessing.

Like I said: The statistics are gratifying. It's a great game.

Thought I'd report on my "progress" on the off chance it might be of help to someone at some point.

Max

#40063 01/09/04 12:35 PM

Cool!!!

Usually I imagine myself looking up the word in the dictionary to get the correct position.

If I still can't picture it clearly then I imagine the pages are all filled with the word that I was looking for and all of them fading slowly until 1 remains, which of course is the correct location.

80% + - is my score. quite satisfied.

YeeSeang

#40064 01/09/04 08:17 PM

Hello,
I am so encouraged by what I am reading here. I am a nursing student and about to go into semester which will be full of technical reading and facts to be memorized. Can anyone tell me about your experiences with photo reading and taking on a task like I am facing?
Thanks Lora

quote:
Originally posted by max:
Hi,

I am waiting to receive my photoreading homestudy course. I have browsed this forum thouroughly and also photoread and activated (to the best of my abilities) the photoreading book.

While I await the tapes et al, I have started playing the dictionary game:

I am having a surprising success-rate, usually getting correct page, correct column, wrong quadrant. Sometimes I get the inverted/mirrored location.

A couple of times I have tried for words that actually didn't appear in the dictionary (I am using an 800 page English-Dutch dictionary) like "blatantly" and "tetrahedron". I did get the place on the page that they would have been in, had they been in the dictionary.

Sometimes, of course, it is a complete miss, which for some odd reason doesn't dishearten me

I have been experimenting with a few of the suggestions in the archives:

I sometimes imagine the word appear on a black&white page in
colour,
larger size,
3 dimensions,
luminescent
hovering
or any combination of the above.

I have also suggested a whole string of words, not actually trying for them until I get one that I decide to try out, or one that is surprising or unexpected.

This has helped me remove the tension and keep it more at a game level. Maybe it also helps distract the conscious mind, giving space to the subconscious to yell out it's own suggestions.

I have also experimented with imagining a blank screen where I ask - which side? (imagine flashing light), then: which column? (imagine flashing light again). Then: Which quadrant? (same procedure).

Sometimes I will just imediately decide on a location, no flashing lights, no colours, words or fancy special effects. Just - left page, lower right hand corner.

I don't feel like I "know" - just comfortably guessing.

Like I said: The statistics are gratifying. It's a great game.

Thought I'd report on my "progress" on the off chance it might be of help to someone at some point.

Max

#40065 01/11/04 08:58 AM
max Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

I like the all-but-one-fading technique Think I'll try it out...

Lora, I am not an experienced photoreader, however I do believe that photoreading can definitely be a good tool in your studies. I think that steady, deliberate work is the most valuable thing anyone has, and photoreading should add to that, not replace it or detract from it in any way... (maybe I'm being old fashioned).

Good luck and enjoy every single success no matter how big or small it is!

Max

#40066 01/13/04 03:14 PM

Hi Lora,

I'm studying accounting. To use PhotoReading to directly apply in all my calculations questions is extremely difficult, if not impossible. But PhotoReading the textbook prior to trying the question helps you to get the 'flow' of the questions.

On theoritical questions (taxation laws - biggest headache of all of them), PR won't help you memorize exactly what the laws says, but you will understand what it tries to tell you.

I hope this helps.

YeeSeang

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved