Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40071 01/08/04 10:05 AM
max Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a calculus class that I am expected to spend 336 hours studying for.

Would it be overambitious to give myself 112 hours using PR steps (solving probs would be a large part of the activation)?
Or should I expect to use more than half the "expected" time for a heavier technical subject since I am new to the PR system?

I am expected to take the exam in June, but can give it a go in March (so if I fail, I'm not in any serious trouble, and if I don't, well, then I can relax a bit).

Max

#40072 01/08/04 10:38 AM
Administrator
Administrator

I note from your other post that you're still learning the system.

My advice is that you learn the system first. Have experience with it in subjects away from studying and "know thyself". Uncover your skills.

Solving problems is not reading nor is it reading comprehension. It's about applying the correct step by step formula. That takes the time that it takes for you, and once you take up a pen along side a book your speed in getting information from that book will suffer because you are multitasking. Getting the information out of the book and then applying it are really 2 different things. You'll be able to get the information from the book faster but I doubt that, that will neither, greatly change your writing speed, nor will the methods by which you habitually do your calculation greatly change, unless you pick up some amazing shortcuts you haven't found yet.

Getting your reading done in 1/3 the time is one thing. Solving problems... if we don't have to show/explain how we found the answer it would go faster but if we have to apply the conventional methods...

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited January 08, 2004).]

#40073 01/08/04 10:43 AM
max Offline OP
OP Offline

Very, very good points!

I will not change my study methods (for maths, anyway) much, apart from adding the photoreading steps and probably mindmapping where appropriate.

I will set up a study schedule with clearly defined time frames and plod on...

...while learning the system alongside with other books

Thank you Alex!

#40074 01/09/04 12:30 PM

Goal setting is important but to give yourself pressure when you are learning to PhotoRead maybe counter productive.

I suggest you go easy on yourself. No pressure works best for the inner mind.

YeeSeang

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved