Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40090 01/09/04 07:23 PM
Woody Offline OP
OP Offline

In the program, Paul recommends repeating "Relax . . .." while photoreading. However, my mind seems to wander and I get board repeating the "4 . . 3 . .2. . . 1" mantra. Is it fine to speak affirmations to yourself such as "I am learning all the material on the page, etc.?"

I have also found that my mind wanders quite a bit while photoreading. I'm not focusing on the material, I'm just having ideas pop into my head. Is this a problem? Should I "force" myself back to focusing on the page or on saying "relax"? Sometimes I think letting my mind wander helps me relax more than forcing myself to focus or repeat something.

#40091 01/10/04 06:05 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Keep it simple, the conscious mind need to be kept busy and not thinking too much. An affirmation can work well if it's short and has the steady rhythm to help you maintain your page turning.

Alex

#40092 01/12/04 01:19 PM
Woody Offline OP
OP Offline

What if you just relax and let your mind naturally wander. I get a little tense when trying to focus just on saying "Relax" b/c my mind naturally wants to wander. The monotony is stressful. However, if I just need to work on it more, I'll try to keep my mind focused.

#40093 01/12/04 02:46 PM
Administrator
Administrator

If you let your mind wander it tends to take you out of the state fastest. An old nursery rhyme, saying twinkle twinkle little start over and over again keeps your conscious mind busy enough to remain passive

Alex

Edit
In anycase have you ever noticed that when the mind wanders it tends toward the negative self talk? We give ourselves more negative self talk in one day than postitive (a ratio close to 65% negative and perhaps 35% neutral or positive) it's much better during the photoreading process if you keep the mind neutral since postitive and negative self talk is emotionally charged and will take you out of state. Hence the chant it's relatively neutral and reminds you to relax and keep the state.

In the beginning I personally shortened the chant to Relax... kept the state see the page.

skiped the 4321 bit because for me it changed the pace.

Keep it neutral because we want to maintain a low beta while photoreading.

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited January 12, 2004).]

#40094 01/12/04 04:44 PM
Woody Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting. When my mind wanders, there's no negative self-talk; I'm thinking about working out or something else that I'm looking forward to doing. I'm daydreaming. The way your thoughts bounce around when staring out a window. However, if that is too much activity and creates too much "action" in the conscious mind, I'll try to focus on saying "Relax" and just get a rhythum going, but I find the daydreaming causes me to relax more which I thought was the goal of being in state.

Still learning. Thanks for all your imput alex.

#40095 01/12/04 11:04 PM

The Relax 4321 mantra is really meant to take one into a deeper state of mind, optimized and best used for learning.

I use to have a wandering mind during my initial PR days ... looking back, I'd say that it had to deal primarily with purpose for PR'ing and alotting of time for the PR activity but most importantly taking the time to really get into state.

It's interesting you mentioned 'daydreaming' this is proof that you've have the natural ability to change level's of state almost at will. Maintain the mechanics of PR and enjoy the movie!

Love and Light

Michael

#40096 01/12/04 11:10 PM

The Relax 4321 mantra is really meant to take one into a deeper state of mind, optimized and best used for learning.

I use to have a wandering mind during my initial PR days ... looking back, I'd say that it had to deal primarily with purpose for PR'ing and alotting of time for the PR activity but most importantly taking the time to really get into state.

It's interesting you mentioned 'daydreaming' this is proof that you've have the natural ability to change level's of state almost at will. Maintain the mechanics of PR and enjoy the movie (daydreaming / wandering mind)!

Love and Light

Michael

#40097 01/13/04 05:50 AM
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think thinking of stuff that you're looking forward to doing is really neutral in fact to me that would withdraw my attention to whatever I am doing not just photoreading.

Alex

#40098 01/13/04 02:41 PM

Alexk

That aint true.

I bet you've driven and daydreamed at the same time, only to snap out of it and say ... whoa, where am I and how did I avoid getting into an accident.

Why just yesteday the wife and I were babbling in the car and eventually I snapped out of my state and said, whoa, just where the heck are we going!

That's been my experience at times.

Love and Light,

Michael

PS - You still owe me a drink!

#40099 01/13/04 02:42 PM

My mind also tends to wander off. Thinking of things that I am looking forward of doing tend to make myself rush through Photoreading, although Photoreading is already very fast I still have the feeling that I'm going too slow.

What do I do? I just pull myself back to the material in front of me and try to focus on chanting. If I find myself daydreaming again, I just pull myself back.

It would help a lot if I have something to help me stay absolute focus on PhotoReading.

YeeSeang

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved