Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kosmik Offline OP
OP Offline

While doing the photoreading step, it is considered judicious to distract the conscious mind to get it out of the way so that the subconscious can do it's "thang" (something like getting the passengers to play the alphabet game so that the driver doesn't have to listen to nagging, thus relax, thus do a better job driving... right? )

So: How well do we occupy the conscious mind?

Should we give it strenuous tasks such as
- calculating the squares of five digit numbers and the integral of sec(x)^4
- reciting monologues and poetry that you have to think really hard at to remember
- imagining a conversation in a language that you speak fairly well but not quite fluently
... and stuff like that

or should it be more "rote" type distractions:
- nursery rhymes that you remember from way back
- the seven times table
- your telephone number (over and over again)
- simple chanting
... or something like that?

Would it be useful to let your mind wander "purposefully" - i.e. decide that you will let it wander in that direction, and always staying within certain boundaries or on a certain subject, or solving a simple puzzle or brainstorming on a problem/challenge that is unrelated to what you are reading?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Have any of you experimented? Any theories on what "should be" right, if any one type of distraction is preferable to another?

Kosmik

It's best, I think, to do some sort of chant while doing the PhotoReading step, and it doesn't really seem to matter what you're saying while you're doing it, so long as you're doing it.

In the recent TeleSeminar, Pete has said he's done, "One, two, buckle my shoe, three, four, shut the door..." As long as you're relaxed and you're occupying that little conscious voice, that voice you can hear talking in your everyday thoughts - it really doesn't seem to matter.

-youngprer

Administrator
Administrator

I've found it most practical to say the chant and then listen when my mind jumps in. Often it's answering questions that I'm asking about the book prior to photoreading. It's especially helpful when I'm trying to find an answer I often have the question as a chant.

As long as it's neutral it emotionally it helps you stay in focus on the intention.

Alex

Interesting post by AlexK. Using question/purpose as a chant. I'm going to try that.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved