Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Woody Offline OP
OP Offline

(Response to a question by Orbital in the "Blip Page Harmful to Eyes" thread.)

Orbital, the excerpt from Win Wenger I haven't read in years, and I was super reading and dipping through Relearning to See last night when I came across it the same concept.

The principle is two fold:
1. Centrilize the focus on one thing. This DOES NOT mean strain, just the opposite. It means relax but only try to see one particular object, the smaller the better. Don't try to see clearly with your peripheral vision. As a hunter once told me when bowhunting: "Don't look at the animal, look at his chest. Don't aim for his chest, pick one spot. Don't just pick one spot, pick an individual hair. Focus that specificly."
2. Move. Do not stare!! Focus on a point, then move to another, etc. the movement should be fluid, not rushed and jerky, and should incorporate different distances. RELAX.

Supposedly, their is a link to clarity of vision, specificity of focus, and memory. Focusing on a small and specific object, promotes clarity of vision, and promotes memory. The book list examples of people with extraordinary sight and equally powerful memories. I cannot attest the validity of this "exercise;" I can only relate what I have read.

This somewhat reminds me of an old trick I heard on how to develop a photographic memory. Look at something, then close your eyes and try to visualize what you were looking at, repeat over and over for 10 minutes a day until the image you create in your mind is crystal clear. Once again, never tried it.

I don't know what length of time constitutes staring (i.e. 5 seconds, 10 seconds) The key is to never strain.

I'll try to post as I read more of the book on natural eyesight. However, it seems that good eyesight directly relates to memory. This is relevant to reading in my opinion.

The stick and move drill seems to be similar to skittering in PR.

Administrator
Administrator

The trick of looking at an image and closing your eyes to remember it is excellent for developing a visual memory.

People who say they cannot see with the minds eye benefit from that exercise. Great practice if you get stuck getting image streams to start.

Alex

Hey Woody, thanks for taking the time to write that. It'll be interesting to try that out.

Have a good one.

Woody Offline OP
OP Offline

Regarding memory improvement, the book recommended doing the following. this technique is similar to the one on which AlexK commented.

Pretend you have a pencil attached to the end of your nose. Find something (picture, math forumula) and trace it with your "nose pencil." Your eyes should trace the details as well. Your attention should focus on each detail as you trace it. Don't try to look at everything at once. Focus as small as you can without straining. Then close your eyes, and re-trace the object with your eyes closed. It is important to move your head while doing this, both with the eyes opened and closed. As you can see, this "exercise" is simply a demonstation of the two principles (movement and centralization) that I mentioned earlier. Those nose pencil is only to make sure you are moving your head.

Administrator
Administrator

Try it with a feather instead of a pencil too. For some reason that is supposed to use both hemispheres of the brain. And a good way to improve eyesight if you do it with near and far objects.

Alex

Hi I also have a good methode to raise memory and visulisation.

Just hear a cinema movie you have seen before. No picture no visual just hear it. You will see it`s amazing !!! Your mind will throw up nearly the whole film. Emotions, athmospheres and so on everthing is in your mind.

You can expand this experiment. Just hear a movie you haven`t seen before. This is funny. Because you build your own charactes and so on like reading a book. Than after few days watch the film. You will see you will be disapointed like you will be if you had read a book of a film before.

Trust me this methode will raise you imagination, visualistation and even activations techniks (because of pulling the pictures back to mind) very fast.

May somebody says thats boring, or I don`t have the time for that. I can fully agree. It costs a lot of time and at the beginning it is boring. But if ou do this a while fully concentrated you will be supriced about the amazing effect.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved