Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40631 02/12/04 01:29 AM
OP Offline

Hi KWLee,

I know you are doing economics, a subject which has lots of quantitative analysis and hence studying mathematical proofs and derivations are inevitable.

Can you suggest me how to activate a maths text? During activation of mathematical textbook, I find that trying to dip in 20% to get 80% of the meaning does not work. Because the words are so technical and explanations are quite precise as well. It's quite hard to skip any 'crap'.

Also, I have to slow down to comprehend the proof, which is something i don't want to happen. Otherwise, I would not have learnt PR to increase my studying speed. Also, how did you mindmap these technical stuffs.

I know I'm quite demanding but you are a successful PRer in activating highly technical materials and. Would you please share your experience with me? Thanks.

#40632 02/12/04 02:08 AM

Hi

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Weter:
I know you are doing economics, a subject which has lots of quantitative analysis and hence studying mathematical proofs and derivations are inevitable.

Yep. A good deal of irrelevant stuff too. You won't believe how little you need of that for comprehension and examination purposes.

quote:
Can you suggest me how to activate a maths text?

Sure. In the same way you do everything else. In layers. The superreading and dipping process is very powerful here. Remember that comprehension does not involve stringing everything together perfectly the first time. You do not necessarily have to understand the first part of a derivation to understand the result, or have an idea of the general approach. When I have to deal with mathematics, I am particularly strict with my superreading and dipping time. I only swoop in when the material looks like an easily digestible nugget of information. If I've passed a section several times and still don't seem to have an idea of what it's about, I intuitively pick a line of mathematics that serves my purpose of understanding the math for that section. Then I ask a question about it. Previewing for math, if you like. I'm constantly amazed at the speed at which comprehension comes when I pass the same section during the next layer.

If you think all of it's important, I can probably sympathise. I thought so too, until I realised that that just isn't true. Only a portion of it is important, relative to your purpose. So...are you planning on doing well in an exam or writing a new discovery based on your reading? What's important can very different for both cases. And no...it's not a good idea to combine purposes. Just messes with one's clarity.

quote:
During activation of mathematical textbook, I find that trying to dip in 20% to get 80% of the meaning does not work. Because the words are so technical and explanations are quite precise as well. It's quite hard to skip any 'crap'.

Check your purpose. If the words are so technical and explanations precise, you catch them in the preview and ask questions about them. Then you catch them in a superread. Then ask more questions.

quote:
Also, I have to slow down to comprehend the proof, which is something i don't want to happen. Otherwise, I would not have learnt PR to increase my studying speed. Also, how did you mindmap these technical stuffs.

So move on. That's the key. I'll leave you to figure out the mind map stuff. The key is this: Build the mind map up as you get the information according to YOUR understanding.

quote:

I know I'm quite demanding but you are a successful PRer in activating highly technical materials and. Would you please share your experience with me? Thanks.

Get your purpose clear. And listen to Alex. I've said it before and I say it again. I wouldn't have made it without Alex. When we disagree, I've always found in hindsight that I had blinders on.

KWLee

#40633 02/27/04 02:23 PM

Dear KW,
Can you share more experience on your super read and dip? Indeed i wonder how wide can you read clearly when you superread.

During superread, we are supposed to be able to see the whole row clearly, which is to be able to read every word out. For me, I gaze at the centre part of a row and try to expand my vision to see the words. However, I just 'notice' the existence of words on the far left and right side but I don't really know what the words are.

The situation is similar to PR --- you notice the words but you don't know what the words are. In that case, I can only read max 5-7 words on a row and hence if the key words are on far left or right hand side of the row then I can't dip inot it. I just wonder if this is normal or it's my own problem.

By the way, referring to your post of teaching me to activate maths text, I am so happy that I can always find the key words relevant to my mind probing questions. However, the questions I ask are quite naive. I can say I don't know what I have to know for exam preparation. Therefore, I think you would suggest me to do past paper questions. I did, and the problem is the past paper questions are so advanced that even one question can ask you several concepts. So I don't know where to dip. Can you share some of your experience on activating past paper questions?

Thanks so much!!!

All the best,
Michael

#40634 02/29/04 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Michael S:
Dear KW,
Can you share more experience on your super read and dip? Indeed i wonder how wide can you read clearly when you superread.

I see the whole page whilst superreading. Both pages, in fact, most of the time. Personally, I don't do scroll down the page. I simply open the page and dip according to where I sense the answer is. I pick up visual clues from subheadings, bold and italicised text, concluding paragraphs and so on. I can flip by several pages without dipping if I sense the material to be irrelevant to me on that particular activation layer.

Of course, that's just me. You'll need to develop your own style of finding the appropriate place to dip at a pace which is comfortable for you.

quote:
During superread, we are supposed to be able to see the whole row clearly, which is to be able to read every word out. For me, I gaze at the centre part of a row and try to expand my vision to see the words. However, I just 'notice' the existence of words on the far left and right side but I don't really know what the words are.

Trust your mind to tell you if there's something on the page you need to read. As you superread, you might find words or phrases jump out at you from the page. That's when you dip. If you want, you can move your gaze in a different pattern across the page to satisfy your conscious mind that you've got everything "in your gaze". I assure you that it's infinitely more important to have a clear purpose, be looking to ask or answer a question relevant to the purpose and watching for inner cues. As long as you maintain a soft gaze, you're fine.

In short: Don't focus on one...word...at...a...time.

quote:
However, the questions I ask are quite naive. I can say I don't know what I have to know for exam preparation.

If you don't know the answer to your question and it's relevant to your purpose, it's a valid question.

quote:
Therefore, I think you would suggest me to do past paper questions. I did, and the problem is the past paper questions are so advanced that even one question can ask you several concepts. So I don't know where to dip. Can you share some of your experience on activating past paper questions?

If you can identify that a question requires several concepts, you certainly have an idea of what concepts you need! Layer those first and see where that leads you. You can then build your next goals based on the information you get from this one.

Other places to look: Your syllabus requirements, lecture handouts, course objectives and seniors. Oh, and some lecturers are quite happy to tell you outright.

KWLee

[This message has been edited by KWLee (edited February 29, 2004).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved