Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40798 02/24/04 03:57 AM
Aaron Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello again. I am aware that the approach commonly taken to pring novels is slightly different than for non fiction material, but I am wondering if you can achieve the same high speeds in reading a novel that you can with non fiction material. For example: lets say you have a 300 page book on the history of the U.S, and also a 300 page novel. Would you be able to get through both at relativaly the same time? I know that there are many variable, but I for one can move through non fiction material pretty quickly, but have trouble moving through fiction with the same speeds. I suspect that the solution to my problem could possibly be to pose better questions. But I am unsure what questions should be asked. Should I ask "What are the main points in this story?", or sumthing a little bit more specific. My purpose for both would be to gather the main concepts, and supporting detail. Thanks for any replies!

#40799 02/24/04 04:11 AM
Administrator
Administrator

It depends on your purpose for reading a novel. If it's for pleasure you don't necessarily want to go through it at lightning speed.

If it's for school or literature studies then even in regular reading you would probably spend longer with it than what you would with a novel. Since in reality you are expected to read the novel 2 to 3 times to get the information needed for examination questions.

Sure you can get a novel finished a whole lot faster, the target that is reasonable is 1/3 the time it takes you to currently regular read such a book on average. Non fiction can be a whole lot faster.

Indeed it does come down to what is your purpose, are you taking regular breaks to check that you still are on purpose or have you allowed yourself to slow down to regular reading.

Usually when you read a novel for study, you are expected to notice things like plot, setting, era, characters, theme, message (whether it's moral, teaching or just informing), symbolism, language and imagery provoked by the authors writing. Depending on your purpose these would raise questions you can ask whilst activating the novel.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved