Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Thanks Alex!I hadn't realized that about the glasses. That's really interesting. Toby

ked Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:
Remember also that activation is done in layers. The best way to layer is have 2 to 3 questions seek answers, mind map, mind probe again. Ask yourself if you need to know more, if so what more do you need to know. Go in with questions and find answers again.

I feel like this advice is so good, and the layering idea was the break through for me about a year ago, but I didn't practice photoreading enough, so I never understood the system well until the past few months when I started PR-ing much more. I have a good grasp on the system I feel, if a bit shaky, and need to apply it to my school work. I have activated many non-school books with PR-ing, so I feel comfortable doing this.

However, it still seems to take a lot longer to photoreading books for school because of the intense detail needed. For instance, I'm reading a 14-page article right now about the evolution of religion. I did the previewing and Photoreading correct; complete with questions, trigger words, purpose, chants, etc. I have no problems with those steps.

When I do the multiple layer part - I'm not sure if I'm saving time. Each pass through the article takes about 4 minutes and mind-mapping I spend about 2 on. Having done 6 layers for this article, I feel like I know the information really well, and I love how it "gels". The problem is that 6 layers times 6 minutes (total) = 36 minutes, which I think is a long time for a 14 page article.

Since I can't really "regular read" like I used to, I'm not sure how long it would've taken me normally, nor what my comprehension would've been. All I can assume is that if it took me about the same time (more than 2 minutes per page) or less, I don't think my comprehension would've been as good as it is now through photoreading.

My question is: Do you think I'm taking too much time with the layering technique? Or should I expect this with dense material and appreciate the fantastic comprehension?

Also, my layering technique uses minimal dipping, a sentence or two only, but while superreading, I feel like I understand a lot of what is said, if not the details. Am I taking so long because I need to dip more and get a more "concrete" concious recall of the matter in shorter time?

Does it sound like I'm doing anything else wrong?

I hope my questions are clear enough, let me know if you're confused.

[This message has been edited by ked (edited March 30, 2004).]

Learning Strategies Admin

Ked, to help you put it into perspective consider the following

First. An A4 page takes the average reader between 3 to 6 minutes to read. so lets use 4 as the mean. that would mean that just regular reading 14 pages would take 56 minutes.

Second, one regular read is often not enough. Just reading the article through for 45 minutes you would not know it 'really well'. You'd be looking back over the pages mind mapping or making notes. Now if you used a marker to highlight while regular reading your pace was even slower and you would have taken over an hour, just to read and highlight.

So time wise on average you're out in front.

As you said you're still a bit shaky, fair enough, now ask yourself. Could you have stopped one activation pass sooner and still been satisified with your level of knowledge? I.e. you knew more than 80% of the material already. or was the last pass the one that you really went wow this is it this is the bulk of the information?

Remember NOPS and remember your purpose. If with regular reading spending say 1hour 15 minutes you earned a C average, and that extra pass or two moved you to high B or A is it worth it and is that what you want? These are just questions for you to consider to remind you to look at your purpose.

Looks like you're on the right track to me

AlexK

Michael, may I know how we could get the gadget you mentioned ? I don't seem to be able to search it in the web.

Hehe, greeni. If you are not joking, please re-read his post ;-) Michael, you sure do have strange humor

I was wondering what your Mind Maps look like, ked, because I haven't yet fully followed through with doing them for my school work. Do you make any drawings on them; how many colors did you use? Do you pause to think about how to organize the info around the central bubble, or do you just speed through and it all falls into place naturally? I tend to over-think things a little So forcing myself to make a QUICK Mind Map is a change of habit.

BTW, Alex: When SR/dipping can I ask any question of the book? For example, could I ask "What is the most important plot detail I've been missing thus far?" or "Which details should I focus on for the quiz in class tomorrow?" My other-than-conscious mind, of course, knows the answers to these questions, but I'm not sure if can integrate these curiosities into the manual activation technique instead of using ImageStreaming...

-CameronJ

[This message has been edited by CameronJ (edited March 31, 2004).]

OOps...I did not discern that it was a humor in my first glance over. I am from the Far East; English actually not my mother tongue. Sincerely, language problem.

[This message has been edited by greeni (edited April 01, 2004).]

Those are excellent questions to ask when superreading and dipping, especially when you just want to do an extra pass to finish up. It calls on your intuition and inner minds knowledge and understanding about the instructors teaching style to convert the usual who what why when where and how questions into the ones the instructor is likely to ask.

Stick with it too. If you felt you missed the answers as a result of the test... just say to yourself that's the kind of information I was looking for, neutral tone, you're just reminding yourself of a future purpose.

AlexK

Thank you, AlexK. That's a nice positive-reinforcement spin to put on my question. BTW, for the past few months, I have PhotoRead nearly every test or Quiz that I get back with the intention to learn from this feedback in order to do better the next time. Once I relax, it'll all pan out :-)

-CameronJ

ked Offline

quote:
Originally posted by CameronJ:
I was wondering what your Mind Maps look like, ked, because I haven't yet fully followed through with doing them for my school work. Do you make any drawings on them; how many colors did you use?

When I'm taking notes on the lectures, my professors are usually speaking so fast that I don't have time to switch colors or draw pictures. I just write the main idea in the center circle, and then as they're speaking, I create spokes titled with their main points. I've found them useful because profs can sometimes jump around a lot and its nice to go back to a topic and still have all the same information together.

When I mind map for my course reading, I try and use different colors and draw some small pictures. The key is to not get overwhelmed with detail or intricacy, just do it. And focus on writing as few words as possible. I have a personal limit of 4 words per branch, which I try not to break. I've found that best, even though I think the PR books suggests only 3 words.

I usually re-do my lecture mind maps, which is a very good study technique I've learned. And when I do this, I use colors and drawings. I try not to take too long, but sometimes I take the longest in this part. I just try and concentrate on moving along quickly and getting the main point down.

[This message has been edited by ked (edited April 01, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by ked (edited April 01, 2004).]

Thanks for this explanation, ked! A few more clarification questions:

Do you ever end up doing more than one Mind Map during the period of one class period? Or can you always find some way to relate new info to the main bubble?

Do you activate and Mind Map material before you go over it in class? (Sometimes my teachers neglect to actually discuss the things we'll need to know for the test in any great detail, and instead talk about politics or baseball...)

Do you use large (A3?) paper both in-class and at home/dorm? Markers in class too?

And how much time would you say you spend doing activation and Mind Mapping for each subject every night on average? Doing what you do, do you feel ahead in your grasp of the material you study?

Thanks. I know your experience can help me to discover the best way for me to succeed effortlessly in my studies :-)

-CameronJ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved