Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41142 03/28/04 03:18 AM
OP Offline

I'm going to Italy this summer on a program called The Experiment in International living, and I want to do all that I can from now until then to learn thte Italian language. With PhotoReading, the most obvious first step is to purchase and repeatedly PhotoRead an English-Italian-Italian-English dictionary or two.

What else should I do to prepare? I want to be able to easily converse -- preferably using correct grammar! If there were an EasyLearn program for Italian I would have purchased it. Anyone know of some good audio tapes/cd's from which to begin? Or a specific type to look for for the most efficient use of my time?

Maybe would PhotoReading a bunch of Italian books be a good idea to prime my mind to speak it and understand?

Regarding PhotoReading the dictionary, I'm afraid that if I rely upon that alone, I would be expecting Direct Learning results too much to experience the language spontaneously activating...

I appreciate any interesting ideas or insightful suggestions :-)

I already speak Spanish fluently, so maybe I ought to even buy a Spanish-Italian dictionary too?

-CameronJ

#41143 03/28/04 09:45 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

CameronJ,

As well as photoreading the dictionary grab and activate some teenage novels or books in the language. Even books like Tin Tin, Lucky Luke, You often find them in English and in foreign languages. Fun way to learn the language.

For the audio portion, grab any basic translation tape and have some relaxing music playing and listen to that to get the basics. From radio and TV record a 30 minute to 1 hour program and listen /watch that a couple of times. (Hide the subtitles if you can )

You could also hunt down the audio courses that they usually have for foreign diplomats to learn the language in 3 months. They are not short courses but effective.

AlexK

#41144 03/28/04 10:05 AM

Hello

Take a look at this.
http://www.accelerated-learning.com/shop/default.asp

It might be what your looking for.

Have a nice day. your already a genius.

#41145 03/29/04 06:09 AM

Hi Cameron,
I'm an italian 19 yo boy and I'm interested to learn english too. If you want, we can speak about photoreading...you can mail me in italian...
If you have some doubts about my language I can clarify you about them.
But I don't speak english very well...

Ciao
Filippo
learninator@mail.com

#41146 03/28/04 09:16 PM

Try the "Berlitz Italian Course" it comes with 10 tapes and a course book. Berlitz has great language courses. For Grammar, you might want to pick up the book "Cortina Method Italian in 20 Lessons" it is good.

#41147 03/29/04 09:57 AM

I have found the Pimsleur tapes
to be the best for me. They are
expensive, but worth it.

#41148 03/29/04 02:16 PM

Date an Italian!

Love and Light

Michael

#41149 03/29/04 11:11 PM
OP Offline

Great idea, Michael! But just in case that doesen't work out...I bought the Pimsleur course. It sounds like it is founded upon sound learning theory, and it got such great recommendations on Amazon.com that I decided to spring for it. I hope it's worth it!

AlexK, I love your idea to buy Tin Tin as he used to be a family favorite of ours, especially after we visited France! ;-) So I'd better get both an English and an Italian version, eh?

Also, what did you mean by the TV-watching suggestion? I'm not sure whether or not I receive any Italian programming from Dish Networks, though it is an intriguing idea...

Can anyone point me to a good online audio stream of an Italian radio station without music -- only talk? Too bad I don't have a shortwave radio (and a lot of patience!) ;-)

I also bought the Merriam-Webster Eng.-It.;It.-Eng. dictionary.

These materials will serve me well, I am sure.

Thanks, everybody, for your invaluble suggestions!

-Cameron

#41150 03/30/04 01:46 AM

Immerse yourself in comedies or soaps from the language you want to learn. If you can't find any on free to air, then check out a language bookshop. Even songs from the language you want to learn are useful tools and easier to listen repeatedly than Hello, where is...? in any language.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved