Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello all,

I ordered the PRWMS a couple of months ago and got started immediately when I got it. Then I ran into some problems having to translate the English material to Dutch while learning to PR and having to PR a english book/dictionary etc. It makes me kinda worried that I won't even get the general picture because there are a lot of words in english that I don't know. Trying to PR the supplied dictionary didn't realy help.

Also I see comments all over the place to learn PRing with non-fiction books. Well...I have a $h!tload of non-fiction Dutch books, sadly they are so technical that if I would have to formulate a goal it would be something like: I would like to know EVERYTHING in this book that I don't already know in order to learn <a new skill> (programming for instance)
Problem there is that I have no previous experience with programming, so I could never track my progress untill I would write a program out of the blue sky...which I think is whisfull thinking. So actualy I have no non-fiction books that I would feel comfortable with PRing.
MS Press books don't realy encourage me either... 900+ pages of technical info isn't playing to me

So I was wondering the following (forgive me for the extreme long intro, felt I had to give an idea of the situation I'm in)

What if I took a book, fiction, that I had read a couple of times before a long time ago, so I generally know what's in there, and then PR that. I could come up with questions because I already know the headlines of the book... read it before, might feel more at ease with it because nothing is at stake.

This would most deffinately make me feel more at ease, because I would not HAVE to learn antyhing, I'm just playing with it.

Could this be a good way to get familliar with the different techniques ? Or would it frustrate the learning process ?

Oh...what IS the actual reason to PR non-fiction books ?

Any comments are most welcome,

Regards,
Jeroen

OP Offline

Add-on:

The reason I don't feel comfortable with reading non-fiction books is because all the non-fiction books I have at the moment are "must-read" material. So I get a little (lot) stressed because I know I need to read it, I know I need to know it, and if possible rather yesterday then today. So as soon as I get one of those books off the shelf I'll start stressing because I'm working 2 things at once... learning PRing and learning whatever is in the book Í choose. Probably a mind-set, but still one that I havent worked out yet.

Forgive i hope this doesn't sound stupid i'm just trying to help. Do they have public libraries in Holland? If they do you could go there & get a non-fiction book with no consequences or deadlines or penalties attached to it.

Other options; bookstores maybe you can buy a nonfiction book there something that interests you but there is nothing at stake with the book.

Last but not least. Family members & friends. Perhaps they might have a non-fiction book you could borrow from them to try Photoreading on.
Photoread4me

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

I agree on staying away from those heavy textbooks until you know the system.

If however you choose to try them remember to treat each chapter as a book in itself. That will make the process a little easier.

As for the fiction book. Take one you haven't read. You can experiement with superreading and dipping for a few activation passes in all you'll probably drop to rapid reading. This will be a fine why to gauge what you have uncovered.

Non fiction books can be any book really, management, organising, cretive thinking, self help books. One other type of non ficition book often overlooked but very relevant to the student is "how to study books".

Great way to learn PhotoReading and get some ideas that you can apply to studying.

Alex.

I would suggest the dictionary game with a dutch dictionary. If you get a dictionary that goes with the "Dutch in Three Months" type courses for foreigners the dictionary will be somewhat shorter than what they would have had you use in school. If you are at a university, there are probably many foreign students who could lend you one

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved