Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bbruehl Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

maybe there's someone out there who have solved the problem I have.
I have to read a lot of scientific research papers (electrical engineering, two columns, 2-6 pages).
I have the PRPLC and the GeniusCode at home and I like them very much. But I have some problems regarding discipline to do all of the steps.
Sometimes I have to get the important details out off a paper in a very short period of time so that there is not enough time to practice the PR system. I think it's a problem of not really believing in the system. How can I convince myself?

I'm not looking for proof of the system, but for an Idea how to practice the steps in small time frames available. How shall I treat those few sided papers with highly condensed and scientific content.

Thanks for your input,
bbruehl

If you are looking for very specific information, that is the ideal time to do a bit of photoreading.

Quickly go through the PR step, even on just a few pages, then without bothering to incubate superread and dip. The target information is quite likely to catch your eye very quickly.

Best regards,
K.

Learning Strategies Admin

Use PhotoReading at every opportunity, emails and short 1 page articles you'll preview and superread and dip.

Also keep the prepare and preview short. 30 seconds to 1 minute is enough to get your purpose mentally acknowledge your affirmation. (you quickly can get to a point where your intention is enough so you don't have to recite the affirmations word for word.) PhotoRead 2 to 6 pages, just get into photofocus and go. If you have time to incubate, that's nice but 2 to 6 pages you'll be able to start activating almost immediately.

Also if you have a whole stack for one research project of 2 to 6 pages pile them and photoread them as if they were one book with many chapters.

In all take a playful approach. You've learnt the steps now be aware of them and just try it and see.

Also remember the tangerine technique for short pieces it's a nice way to get into the flow and focus of getting information from your reading material.

Alex

bbruehl Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you (kosmik and Alex) for your immediate answers.

Look at your post I think for me Previewing, PR and dipping are not the problems I have. But there is one with the very beginning: the purpose.
I have to scan all those papers for "interesting" topics but my interest now are rather general and not so specific.
And I have a problem with a purpose like: "Find something that really interests me."

Do you have an idea?

bbruehl

Are you reading the research papers in relation to your own research? If such is the case I guess I would suggest purposes to the effect of "find information directly related to my current research", "find nuggets that cast new light / different perspective", "... in direct conflict with current hypothesis", "...applications or implications that I hadn't thought of" etc.

Or - if your interest is more general - maybe you could ask yourself why you are interested in finding whatever you are looking for. What use will you make of it? Is it to tuck behind your ear for later reference? Is it so that you can have something to talk about at social gatherings? Is it for more insight? Does it relate to something you are writing or working on, or studying?

I'm just sort-of throwing ideas out blindly in the hope that something will ignite that spark of purpose for you

K.

One of my general reading purpose is... What is in this that I don't know yet and would be useful for me to know.

Alex

Good one Alex! I really like that one. I will definetly use this one. Thanks!!

bbruehl Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Alex,

that sounds very good. I will give it a try or more (being playful :-)).

bbruehl

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved