Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Wait, Alex, did you say you used to read 300wpm with speed reading course? I thought speed reading course helps people at least beyond 1000wpm....

Anyway, one more minor question. Did you learn PR by course alone or by taking PR seminar?

Learning Strategies Admin

Nope that was my natural speed before learning speed reading. Sur it pushed me to go faster and faster but comprehensin got worse and worse and that frustrated me as a result I started reading slower. I guess it's like always hitting a wall over certain terrain that you start to take it more conservatively. Was rather surprising to me that a few weeks after learning speed reading I was reading neally 90 wpm slower than before.

Now it's considerably faster between 600 and 1500 wpm depending on what I'm reading.

693,000 wpm with a 75% comprehension has been recorded years ago. Although it's not reading. Different experience to regular reading in that conscious comprehension was being built as the questions were being asked.

Yes they are bordering on 1 million wpm photoreading. But for conscious comprehension as we are accustomed to from regular reading requires activation.

I learnt from the book. Then added the home Study course. I didn't attend a seminar until I did my Instructor Candidate Training.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 04, 2004).]

I am not sure but PR is similar somewhat to Evelyn Wood method. EW teaches similar reading layers but varying speed from fast to slow and then fast. The only differences b/w PR and EW seem only PR state and relaxation.

My experience with Evelyn Wood method was still pushing the eyeballs faster over the words. This was tiring and frustrating for comprehension.

Flipping pages and getting a sense of knowing that you've just taken in information that is being organised in your mind is different to any of the reading methods that I've tried.

Mega Speed Reading, Tony Buzan Speed reading, Evelyn Woods... few others that were similar in move the eye faster the comprehension will come promise.

PhotoReading works in reverse... Take it in at the fastest possible speed that you can. Then at the fastest speed that is faster than reading you superread and dip for answers to satisfy your curiosity and 'start' building the conscious comprehension for a few layers. Rapid Read is closest to regular reading thats where you start getting anaylitical type detail. In all in the end on a detailed book you can get it done in 1/3 the time.

Full conscious comprehension that is the same or often better than what one gets with regular reading.

Put into perspective if the book takes 9 hours to regular read you can do it in 3 and have detailed comprehension. Textbooks 30 hours done in 10. Or in other words in a book with 9 chapters in the time it takes you to get through to chapter 3 you can put the whole book together.

Alex

SpeedReading you have to practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice and then practice.

Photoreading you do it and then one day you come to the realization one way or another that it's hard NOT to do it right and that purpose is everything and your set.

I can speed read and photoread and I move quick as hell through books. But speedreading just requires to much work to develop. I'm sorry, I just wouldn't do it. Stick with subconscious processing.

I can still speed read at about 1200wpm but I used to be 2132 when I used to practice everyday.

[This message has been edited by DaPhotoFinisher (edited May 07, 2004).]

OP Offline

Wow, 1200 wpm... very impressive, I will have to agree with you that speed reading takes alot of practice! Since you're so successful with speed reading, I'm sure photoreading wasn't much of a problem for you. I am now curious of how fast you can read with photoreading?

Reaching regular-reading speeds of 1200WPM is very easy with programs like eyeQ. http://www.infmind.com/

I highly recommend it. It increases mental efficiency and spatial-awareness.

I'm at 1500WPM right now. I'm trying to reach 2500 so then I can get to 5000, and so on. One step at a time.

Remember that the mind is heavily programmed to keep the "brakes" on accelerated reading where it is. You have to work on achieving alpha states and perhaps even theta states to over-ride the barriers.

OP Offline

You're reading at 1500 wpm right now, are you referring to speed reading or photoreading? If you're referring to photoreading, the speed difference between photoreading and speed reading is not that far apart.

Can speed reading help Photoreading? Probably speedreading can help just the rapid reading step in PR to be a little faster. I don't think investing energy, effort, time into SR is necessary.

ked Offline

Here's how I see it. The photoreading whole mind system is complete; that's why it's called the "whole mind" system. It incorporates all of the mind, many different reading techniques and is far more comprehensive than any "speed reading" course which is going to focus on moving your eyes faster, with possibly a little emphasis on layers (like in Evelyn Woods). But no matter what, none of these systems have the PhotoReading step. The more and more comfortable I get with PhotoReading in general, the less I can quickly read something (like an e-mail, quick news article, etc.) without first quickly photoreading it. It just seems pointless to me to waste time not using the system.

However, it has taken me time to get to this point, time invested in actually using the system. What I noticed at first was that the effects of the PhotoReading step were minimal, if anything. However, the more you become aware of your mind's true abilities, the more you practice the system and the more it becomes comfortable (in my case, understanding how layered reading works was what got me to a comfortable level) - then the more you understand the power of the PhotoReading step.

That of course doesn't mean you can't apply ideas learned from Speed Reading courses, such as moving your eyes faster while Rapid Reading. But what it all comes down to for me is that Paul already discusses how to make Rapid Reading flow --- rythmic perusual. Plus, rapid reading includes learning when to speed up and when to slow down for details.

Hope my two cents makes sense. Basically I'm trying to convey that PhotoReading is complete, and the only thing I think is applicable, possibly, from any speed reading course is moving the eyes faster, reading clumps of words, and stop subvocalizing - applicable to the Rapid Reading step.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved