Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
remko Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, first of all I have to say that the web-site doesn't make a very good impression on me. It's `Buy now!' factor is a bit to high for me. Probing through the unlogical structure is like getting stuck on a XXX site with popping windows.

I understand: `mentally photograph the printed page at 25,000 words per minute.' doesn't give the same comprehension level as normal reading and the time spent doing the other steps should be added if I would like to compare. I guess that's what `Process and understand any book at least three times faster than you can now.' means.

Anyway, I'm curious now and just ordered the book to explore. A few notes.

I found out while I read Tony's speedreading book that I'm very low on speed (120 WPM) and very hi on comprehension (> 90%) and was surprised to find out that most people recall only 50% of what they read. (I thought colleges just didn't read company mail but I guess they just don't recall the content.) I did several IQ test on the web and average around 155. Maybe my reading style is very different than normal.

I find it impossible (until now) to silence the voice (stop subvocalising) but I'm not sure if I want to if it makes me loose comprehension. If I increase to around 500 WPM, comprehension drops to around 60%. I find it very unsatisfying. I still have to subvocalise on words that pass my eyes.

I started studying and exploring reading as a whole (including all forms of speed- super- hyper- and photoreading and like to hear your experience.

Please let my negative introduction not with hold you from giving me positive feedback and thoughts.

Greetings,
Remko Bolt
(The Netherlands)

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation. <Eric S. Raymond>

quote:
Originally posted by remko:
Hi, first of all I have to say that the web-site doesn't make a very good impression on me. It's `Buy now!' factor is a bit to high for me. Probing through the unlogical structure is like getting stuck on a XXX site with popping windows.

The only pop-up on this site is the one offering you VALUABLE, FREE information which might well help you boost that 120 wpm speed of yours without paying a penny. What buy factor?

The site ALSO provides this forum, and several others, where anyone may post, regardless of whether they've purchased anything. In my whole time here, I've never been pressured into buying anything by the LSC staff, though admittedly a few opportunists seem to try make this an advertising platform. Learning Strategies takes care of them pronto.

quote:
I understand: `mentally photograph the printed page at 25,000 words per minute.' doesn't give the same comprehension level as normal reading and the time spent doing the other steps should be added if I would like to compare. I guess that's what `Process and understand any book at least three times faster than you can now.' means.

If you never learn to PhotoRead, but only use the other steps of the process, your reading speed will triple. At least. Mine did, and I was a fast reader to begin with. It more or less tripled again when PhotoReading worked for me. Oh, and comprehension went up, too.

quote:
Anyway, I'm curious now and just ordered the book to explore. A few notes.

Have fun with it.

As for your reading style, it sounds like you're strong on analytical reading, which might or might not indicate a liking for the analytical subjects. I did lots of analytical reading too. PhotoReading taught me to speed that up (with higher comprehension) AND use the appropriate speed I wanted on the subject material. Boring to use the same speed on all material, no?

quote:
Please let my negative introduction not with hold you from giving me positive feedback and thoughts.

Okay, here's a thought. Try holding back the "negative" framework whilst you're exploring PhotoReading. I'm not suggesting gullibility, but to get it to work you need at least an open mind. Also, this is probably unlike anything you've ever tried before, so letting go of the suppositions when you read the book will be of value.

quote:
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation. <Eric S. Raymond>

KWLee

[This message has been edited by KWLee (edited May 12, 2004).]

remko Offline OP
OP Offline

I'll be a bit more specific on the web-site. By it's very nature photoreading sounds to good to be true. Now I'm VERY open minded and will form my own opinion about any material after I've tried it myself. The thing is, the way the site looks and sounds (Yep, still subvocalising :-) makes me suspicious about a topic I'm curious about and want to explore.

Me, when I surf the web I'm looking for information on whatever subject interests me. What do I get from learningstrategies.com?

In the header:
`Win $250,='
<<This wouldn't pass my spam filter but goes straight to /dev/null.>>

[Pictures of happy successful families]

first paragraph:
`more income – better grades – peace of mind and happiness'
<<more spam>>

second:
`most innovative personal growth programs in the world'
<<spam...>>

third:
`order with confidence today'
<<I'm urged to order without any information about the product..?>>

forth:
`(success story)'

Next page:
intro:
`Photoreading: the best selling reading program in America today!'
<<Selling is the word that stands out here, as does on the rest of the page. I envision a man at my door with a solar powered vacuum cleaner.>>

last paragraph:
`Let me assure you it is all true.'
<<There really should be no need to say this.>>

Next page:
`(more success stories)'

link to next page:
`Click Here to learn the SECRET OF PHOTOREADING on Page 2.'
<<Do I have to sign a nondisclosure agreement for this?>>

`Order course now' & `Enroll in seminar now' Repeated 5x on all next pages.
<<Based on what information would I want to do that?>>

I'm afraid to say, this web-site sounds worse than my little doughter bragging to her friends.

So, I wasn't suspiciuos about photoreading before, just curious and interested. The web-site has changed this :-(

Greetings,
Remko

--
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Hi--
The PHOTOREADING book is only 16 US Dollars and many people have learnt the system with just the book. Also, if you do buy the course, it has a 30 day money back garantee and also, you can pay in installments. But, get the book atleast, it is well worth US$16.

Do you think everything is for free? So Learning Strategies doesn't have to pay for the rent on their building? They don't have to pay their employees? You think their employees are working for free? What about their materials? Do you think the cassette tapes & compact discs are for free as well?Then you have printing to be done. Do you think the printing company they go to prints for absolutely free with no charge?

I have never been pressured by Learning Strategies to buy anything.

I cannot speak for your country but here in the United States practically anyone can go to a public library get the Photoreading book for no charge & learn photoreading from the book. People have learn Photoreading from the book although there are advantages to the learning course & Photoreading seminar.That is a advantage of this website that they are here to help everybody whether learning from the book or learning course or seminar.

Pictures of happy successful families. What is so terrible about that?

Geesh everybody's a critic. If you would spend half of that negative energy & turn it around using positive energy you would be much closer to mastering Photoreading & reaping the benefits.

Learning Strategies goes to many different countries helping many people reach their potential.
Photoread4me

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved