Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41776 05/20/04 12:24 PM
Ret1n4l Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there a way to put photoreading on a resume and make it look believable? Has anyone done this? If so, what pointers would you give for a starting photreader to improve his abilities while on the job?

#41777 05/20/04 02:15 PM

I like this question. Not that I've put it on my CV, but for the "How do you make it believable" part.

How about:

Been a PhotoReading Practitioner since 2001. Achievements with PhotoReading:

- Over 400 books read
- 120 books read in current year.
- 14 books read last month.
- Mangement literature 40 books read and 90 directed learn.
- Computer programming and IT manuals 43 read and 47 direct learned.
- Most technical book read was "MSCE: bla bla " completed in 14 hours.
- Fast book read "How to Deal with Difficult People", completed in 45 minutes.

Now you may not have these achievement. However, if you want to use PR on your resume and you like some of the above ideas. This kind of format can be useful in inspiring you to USE PRing regular and for specific purposes.

Nice question. You can punch up the presentation of these ideas to better fit your resume style.

You are perfection.
Iam2

#41778 05/20/04 07:22 PM
Ret1n4l Offline OP
OP Offline

Alright. This is convincing me that my quest to actually make a breakthrough in learning to PR even more appealing.

I'm 8 months away from separating from the military, and I want to make this a big plus on my resume. My intent is to go to school full time, but I will eventually move on to get a job.

I posed this question to the person teaching the resume required class on job hunting after leaving the military. She just told me to bring several different examples of how I would list this skill to have something to work with. She had never tried putting anything like this on a resume before.

Thanks for your input!
Jay

#41779 05/20/04 08:39 PM

Great Idea!

#41780 05/21/04 03:09 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

I suggest avoiding the term "direct learn/ing". Means nothing to potential employers unless they are also PhotoReaders. While impressive to us and we notice the results from this eperience. It would appear to be unnecessary fluff. You'd be asked to explain what that means and ... well even as PhotoReading instructor I can assure you most don't believe that works. So try explaining that; you can shoot yourself in the foot in an interview with that one. Just remember how unbelievable that was to you when you first heard it.

Be specifive on the list of books you've Activated. If you say 120 book be bold enough to name some of the core ones relevant to the industry that you are applying for and be prepared to discuss them in an interview.

Put the fact that you PhotoRead/read 50 to120 books they are going to challenge you to 'prove it'

So give yourself 3 to 6 titles that you know are relevant to the particular job/ industry that you are applying for, that you're willing to discuss. You might modifying your resume for some employers but with computers that isn't difficult. Carry your book list with you to an interview So that you can mention other titles and notice their book shelf. If you go to a few interview you'll notice the books you should be reading and mentioning

Also don't let your mention of PhotoReading outshine the rest of your resume. Keep it in balance.

I put in a number of applications for insurance the question comes back to me...
"What does a PhotoReader Do?" Remember to answer that question if you put it on your resume or CV.

Alex

#41781 05/24/04 02:36 AM

Also, don't say:"Reading speed at 10k wpm."

I wrote that on a resume, and during the interview i spent the next 15 minutes defending that i can REALLY read at that speed.

They asked me to do a live demo in front. Of course, i declined on the grounds that i needed a 24 hours incubation period.

Maybe 10k wpm is way above their reality

#41782 05/24/04 05:56 AM

If I were a boss and someone told me they had read a book in a job interview, my response would be, "So what?"

Rather, list the skill set you have acquired through reading.

"Experience with Administrating Windows XP Server and managing a domain of 100 workstations" looks better than "Read a whole bunch of books about Microsoft products!"

They are not interested in what you have read, they are interested in proof of what you can do.

Perhaps what you guys are looking for is: "Can learn quickly and adapt to quickly changing environments. Thrives in a competitve and fast moving workplace."

An employer is only interested in characteristics within you that he or she can readily exploit or that means you will need little assitance and intervention. Anything that says, "I will not bother you with anything or cause your boss to jump down your throat" is welcome. You'll want to look like you will make things easier for your manager, make him or her look good, and at the same time not be a threat.

Frankly, I would not mention Photoreading on my resume at all. I have decided not to put any information about NLP or related stuff on mine. It makes some people think you're a fruitcake. Some people will be intrigued, however, so either way it's a gamble.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited May 24, 2004).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved