Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41788 05/21/04 07:35 AM
Flutie Offline OP
OP Offline

I have had the PR course for over 2 years but I cannot get myself to go past the first 20 pages of the book or the first 20 minutes of tape 1A. It's like I go into a panic and try to attend to something more "worthwhile"

I am also facing this problem when I attempt to learn anything new. I feel trapped, panicky and just give up. I really feel though that if I can get a breakthrough in one challenging aspect of my life I will have the necessary momentum to follow through

Has anyone else encountered such feelings when learning PR or any new stuff? If so can you please let me know how to tackle this issue

Regards

Flutie

#41789 05/21/04 07:49 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Hi,

I'm going to suggest you try something I usually don't recommend.

Start with tape 3a, then get back to me or do tape 2a, followed by 2b.

But get back to me. Either by email or on the forum.

One of the ways to get over the problem of getting started... don't start at the beginning start somewhere else.

Knowing that you started in the course on tape 3 lets you off the hook if you don't get it because you don't know yet how the puzzle starts.

You've taken the all or nothing approach ... so far it's been nothing so... try tape 3 first.

Alex

#41790 06/22/04 03:13 PM

Hey, I know that feeling, too!
My PhotoReading course included the book Natural Brilliance by Paul Scheele. In it, he gives splendid advice on how to get out of Stuck States, like I had been experiencing, and you seem to be encountering.
Now my colleagues wonder why I draw little broken Stop Signs next to the more dreary tasks on my To Do Board
Check the book out, even if you read it like a novel - it has done wonders to my satisfaction witn life in general, and decimated my far-too-long-for-far-too-long To-Do List.
With Physical Exercise, I'd say: Stick To It.
PhotoReading has taught me to say: Have Fun!

#41791 07/02/04 09:44 PM

I bought the course in 1997. I went through all the tapes as soon as I received it. Got no results at all. I have flicked through the book on occassions but with no sustained effort. Recently, I discoved this forum and I would like to try again. Unfortunately, I feel nervous this time around possibly because I feel that this is the courses last chance. Deep down I believe that Photoreading does work, but perhaps it is not for me and of course people have to move on.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

#41792 07/03/04 07:29 AM

What if the only real problem was that you weren't ready back then? You're not the same person you were 7 years ago.

Best advise I think anyone can give you is go through the course as if it is your first time. This time look at is as if you're opening a new video game.

I like what video games teach you, I don't play them but I like how everyone just accepts the learning process as a challenge. In the beginning they last something like 10 minutes before they see game over and what does the player do? Start again, last a little bit longer and then it's game over. Then in the next couple of games the goof and don't even last as long as the first time, makes them even more determined to get to the next level.

At any time have they failed? No, of course not, it's a new game a new challenge. Learning and playing a game is how we need to approach any learning experience. We always seem to think it's the end of the world if we don't get it right the first time and yet the world ticks on. To learn PhotoReading is a lot like opening a new video game, it's unlike anything we were taught in school and our curiosity should be like that game playing individual, challenge yourself to reach the next level. Go easy on yourself, like in playing a game there is nothing to fear and each time you play it you get a bit further than before. So have fun with it.

Alex

#41793 07/03/04 09:21 PM

Thanks for you reply Alex. Your advice does make sense. However, using the same analogy, it is obvious in a video game that progress is being made. All I wanted the first time around was some evidence that photoreading was working for me. I would have persevered longer if I had recognised any gain.

I will try again though and will let you know how I get on. Many thanks for your time.

#41794 07/04/04 01:20 PM

For real? I've watched kids virtually kick the screen because they didn't see any progress for 5 to 7 games. They don't give up though because they know that there is more beyond their first experience and if they quit they won't see it.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved