Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#41911 06/04/04 06:30 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

quote:
Originally posted by ProduceDpt:
Someone tell me if this is an effective purpose for photoreading and wanting to get through my schoolwork faster.

To get a doctorate degree and be a pioneer in mechanical engineering, robotics and artificial intelligence research, work for NASA and be an astronaut.

Goal... you don't need photoreading to reach that goal but there will be quite a few books that you will read for the purpose of understanding the information so that I can...(e.g. fulfil XYZ requirement to be an astronaut)

Each book in photoreading would be how does reading this book help me?

quote:
I'm not lying about any of these.
Cool

quote:
Is that a goal or is that a purpose? Because if I want to go back further, I can press the human nature button and say "to get girls and make money". That's an effective purpose as well, though something that's probably not conducive to learning the system, I think.

To get girls and make money is also a goal.

How are you going to do that?

"I am going to read this book, so that I can... "

"I am going to do my homework, to learn, ABC so that I can..."

Goal = end result
Purpose = reason for doing something that ultimately leads to your goal.

Alex.

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited June 04, 2004).]

#41912 06/04/04 06:59 AM
ked Offline

I'm kind of confused by this terminology... wouldn't that mean if Purpose = reason for doing something, wouldn't that reason be a future goal? Which means that goal/pupose are about the same?

Or is it that, for example if you're goal is to be an astronaut, your purpose is to read a book to become an astronaut and have a happy life?

[This message has been edited by ked (edited June 04, 2004).]

#41913 06/04/04 07:48 AM

Ked,

You said it when you said..."future goal"

Your purpose is like stepping stones of intentions that put in the direction of your goal.

E.g.

You're standing on one side of the river... your end goal is to get to the other side to escape the enermy...
meanwhile you're reading a book with the purpose of finding out the fastest way to cross that river... so that you can get to the other side.
Next you're in the forest lopping down a tall tree, you need to do this ASAP but you're lopping down a tree for the purpose of making a quick bridge, so that you can get to the other side.

Once you reached your goal, you are done, no more purpose required.

Purpose, explains the reason that you are doing something and is usually one of many actions that lead toward a goal. It's say that when you do this you are moving closer toward your ulitmate goal.

My purpose for for using photoreading on my reading material, is, to access the information relevant to my current work and get it done in the fastest time, "so that I can" progress towards my goal and at the same time ensure some free hours to continue to pursue my hobby.

A goal (the reward) does not define what action steps are required in between where you are now and where you want to be.

Purpose (the why you are doing it) Identifies the action steps. It's saying I'm doing this because it is what it takes to get to my goal.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited June 04, 2004).]

#41914 06/04/04 12:20 PM

Alex, how specific (narrow) should goals be? For example, in my studies I have several books to read. the ultimate goal is to pass the examination on the material. But should I also (and I think the answer is yes) break the goals down to very specific ones for each PR/activation period.

ie For the next 30 minutes my goal is to understand the concepts of chapter 3. Next session, my goal is to be able to use the formulas presented to work problems at the end of the chapter. etc etc

Of course, each of the minor goals is specifically designed to be a step towards the ultimate goal.

Is this the correct process?

#41915 06/04/04 12:51 PM

Woody your goals for reading can be as board as you like.

Your purpose is ideally narrowed down so that it points you to your goal. I am not sure that your "ultimate goal" is really to pass the exam since you are sitting for the exams for another reason be it a stage furthering your career... It's worthwhile remembering that (look at the borader picture), because if the sole goal is to sit for exams what difference does it really make if you pass or fail (don't get me wrong I know there is a reason you want to pass and I hope it is a "meaningful" one somewhere along the line).

Now purpose for a book. That is ideally narrowed to a bite sized chunk. So this book is about History. I need to know quite a bit of information in this book. My purpose therefore is to draw out the relevant information ... so that I can... accurately answer the questions to pass on the history test which is a step along the way for my career.

"For the next 30 minutes my goal is to understand the concepts of chapter 3." Ouch my mind never knows when it has understood concepts... likes to keep me going in circles until I can explain to it what a concept is.

Consider the title of chapter 3... Replacing a light bulb. My purpose to know enough about lightbulbs.... so that I can... have light when I read, and I'll know I've achieved this when I can tell someone else how to do it.

For the next 10 minute I am going to activate this chapter to find out how to replace a lightbulb, when I need to replace a lightbulb, why I would need to replace a lightbulb, where does one replace a lightbulb, what I need in order to replace a lightbulb and anything else that is important for me to know when it comes to replacing a lightbulb. Note, I've already developed my superreading and dipping questions because I gained clarity of what my purpose is.

Alex

#41916 06/04/04 04:07 PM

Hey Alex, just a quick question, when stating your purpose are you suppose to state it mentally? or do you have to jot your purpose down on a piece of paper to make it more concrete?

#41917 06/04/04 04:38 PM
OP Offline

Wow, this board really exploded.

So let me make this absolutely clear.

My purpose is short term. My goal is long. In essence, a sort of purpose-goal relationship is "I will (purpose) so that I can (goal)". Because that's what I'm picking up from this.

So if my goal is to get a PhD, then my purpose would be to read the relevant information pertaining to my field of study. Likewise, my goal of being an astronaut is butressed by my purpose of getting physically fit, learning about the program requirements and taking the necessary steps toward my goal.

That makes sense, I guess. Unless I missed the point altogether. If the goal is the end result, then my purpose is how I'm going to supplement the success of that goal in the here and now. Still, I have to agree with ked that the terminology doesn't sound correct. It seems here that "purpose" is more like "motivation" or "motivating factor" than anything. Maybe if I looked at it that way, then I wouldn't be so confused. After all, even the dictionary defines purpose as the object of persual and not the reason. I guess it's one of those definitions in context, like how Euclid has different definitions for a point, ray, and line than does the dictionary itself.

And Prosperity...how many girls constitutes a harem?

[This message has been edited by ProduceDpt (edited June 04, 2004).]

#41918 06/05/04 05:24 AM

Several.

#41919 06/05/04 03:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Darkwingdw:
Hey Alex, just a quick question, when stating your purpose are you suppose to state it mentally? or do you have to jot your purpose down on a piece of paper to make it more concrete?

Mentally is fine. if you're clear on why you want to do this your purpose becomes the motivator.

ProduceDpt
The terminology difficult to grasp because the concept is a difficult one to get a handle on.

When we were younger and did something 'stupid' our parents would ask us "why are you doing that" we usually knew why but self preservation prevailed so the answer became "I don't know". The fact of the matter is something is always motivating us. Even for example sleeping in... why do you do that? there isn't anything better to do, I don't want to face the day, it's feels good to sleep in... they are all your purpose or reasonings for why you are doing something.

When it comes to reading... we never really stopped to think about why we read a given book so most of them wind up partly read or unread, until exams start looming and we realise that we need to know more than we know if we are going to pass this exam... wo that we can ... avoid getting an ear bashing from our parents, avoid summer school or repeating, make the progress on our career plans. The thing is it's usually non conscious and relying on outside factors and right timing to become motivators, reasons or a purpose for reading.

Alex

#41920 06/05/04 04:24 PM
OP Offline

I understand now. Thanks, Alex.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved