Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41933 06/03/04 07:44 PM
OP Offline

Hello, this is my last year of high school and I am having trouble deciding what to ask for in regards of graduation presents. This summer my time is going entirely spent in China so I am going to have all the free time in the world. Right now I am deciding if I should ask for a really nice 27” LCD TV or a list of 42 books.

I’m one of those people that like to collect books. Even if I never pick or touch a book I enjoy the fact that book there and I can pick anytime when I need to use it for information. Usually I normal read about the half of the books that I buy. The main reason for that is because of the time it takes to read a book and even worse are those long complex books that require multiple passes to firmly grasp and understand. Now with the photoreading system at my disposal, I should be able to mow through information like it's nobody’s business or at least I thought.

The problem is I don’t believe I'm an effective photoreader. Not very good at the dictionary game. Not sure if I have achieved photofocus. Only three corners of a book at can be visible to me at once. I can’t see the upper right hand corner without losing focus. My eye disorder only allows only one of my eyes to be activated, both of them can’t be activated at the same time. This might have something to do with my ability to photofocus. Also it is very hard for me to mantain state when I have to turn the pages; the page turning techinque recommended by Paul Scheele just doesn’t work for me.

Photoreading has been a hit and miss for me. I have photoread novels for English and have gotten A’s and B’s meanwhile in science I usually end up normal reading the chapters.

By the way I have not finished the photoreading home study course. It is difficult to move on to the next part of the course when you have not mastered the techniques on the previous tapes. How long does it take someone to become a master of photoreading?

Out of the five techniques so far, super reading and dipping appear to be my strongest points. In fact, it is the only indicator that I am doing something correctly. My weakest point is photoreading itself. I am moderate at preparing and previewing when I actually do them. I never rapid read because I only want an overall picture of the material I am reading, the little details bore me.

My goal for the summer is to photoread five books a week for 8 weeks. That is about 40 books. Is this possible for a person with my level of skill at photoreading to read 40 books and achieve an excellent understanding of the books in such a short period of time. By the way the books I have selected all are highly technical books and none of them are fiction. Or am I overshooting.

#41934 06/04/04 01:05 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

When you do the home study course you are not supposed to master any tapes before moving on. You do them to the best of your ability and then do the next to the best of your ability. You build the whole picture first. How can you know you have or have not 'mastered' any one part of the course if you haven't done the whole course?

When you say photoread 5 books a week are you saying activate each of those books? 5 books per week at say 5 hours average (5 hours since you say they are highly technical and these books will take a traditonal reader 25 to 75 hours to read) is 25 hours per week just activating. What's your purpose? Got no life?

If you fully activate 1 or 2 books a week thats 52 to 104 books a year. Considering that one book a month is considered an achievement 1 or 2 books a week is more realistic don't you think?

Alex

#41935 06/04/04 08:32 PM
OP Offline

I am going to activate one of the five books I read. Many of these books are about the same subject. Actually over half of them are about developing a trading system.

Don't recall the name of the technique but it is the one where you Photoread several books of the same subject and then just activate the one of them.

There are many reasons for doing this. My main purpose is I have discovered a long time ago; this is what I want to do. Trade in financial markets. The subject of finance is very interesting and I wish to master the subject.

Mastery for me is not knowing everything there is to know about the subject. It is once you reach a learning curve where you can comprend and remember incoming new or different ideas in your field effortlessly.

The other reason is I simply want to become better at photoreading. I am going to get better in two ways. The first which is oblivious I am going to use the system a lot. The second way is to better understand some concepts behind photoreading. The other half of the books I picked are from the recommend reading section here. Once I learn in detail about mind mapping, accelerated learning, multiple intelligence, I will understand the course a lot better.

This is the way I learned things. I can’t learn through examples and exercises I need to understand the concepts first.

#41936 06/05/04 04:17 AM

If you are referring to Syntopic reading You activate all the books you select.

If you're only going to PhotoRead a number of books and activation only one. Do 3 to 10 books a day for a month or 2 (or more). That's a method for getting a handle on the system. Of those books you activate one.

Have fun
Alex

#41937 06/05/04 04:42 PM
OP Offline

On average, just how many books can a person photoread before the inner mind becomes overloaded? I am looking around the boards and ten appears to be the common number for the maximum number of books people photoread a day.

With Syntopic reading, does it matter what book you activate?

My new plan now is to photoread 10 books for two weeks and activate one of them a week.

Finally what are the benefits of photoreading a book several times? I thought the inner mind remembers everything.

#41938 06/07/04 11:40 PM

We did between 20 and 50 books in one day at the retreat. I've done 40 in an hour, yes that was fast flipping.

Common reaction, we all slept well and found ourselves rather worn out at the end of the day. Next morning we were fine.

A couple of factors at the retreat our day started at 7am and for many finishe 11pm. They were focused on learning so it wasn't just PhotoReading that we took in; everything else about the retreat was a learning experience.

Syntopic reading means to activate all the books that you select Chapter 11 of the book explains the steps in details.

Getting into PhotoReading flow is one of the benefits it's also useful on subject that are new or challenging for you. The repeated exposure calls upon the inner mind to process the information. Where as PhotoReading once it remembers if and puts it aside according to the need to kow basis. If you need to know it remind the non conscious mind to work on it.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved