Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42052 06/13/04 05:13 AM
TobyEL Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I have been reading Oprah's new book pick, Anna Karenina on a site that has online fiction books. I wanted to PR the ch's but after you finish reading the ch, there is no button to click,that I can see, that says next. Instead, I have to go back & then click on the next ch. So I have been previewing & then PR each ch & then reading it. Do you think that I should try to PR the entire book on the computer, even if flow is interruped? Toby

I've never PR'd chapter by chapter on the computer but as long as you get into state each time and do your usual routine I don't think it would matter.

Learning Strategies Admin

Toby,

I have a technique that could help its the one I use for reading the forums and geting through 20 or 30 web sites in a search as well as reading books that are chapter per page web sites.

I never just click on a link on the main page.

First page of the 'book' usually lists all the chapter links. I right click the first 10 open them in a new window (IE) new tab (netscape) I personally perfer netscape, then I PhotoRead one tab after another, then I can go back SR& Dip each chapter, when done I just close the tab... the orignal page is still there so I can right click and open the next 10 pages or so.

I prefer netscape because it's not unusual for me to have 5 windows open and each window has between 5 and 15 tabs open that's between 25 and 50 web pages.

I wind up with a lot open when I'm chatting on MSN I'm often asked to look at this or that and I hate losing what I'm doing so I open a new browser or tab to view those pages. I can keep reading while pages are loading in the background.

Alex

TobyEL Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks you both for your advice!! Alex, I'm going to try out your method. I'm familiar with the name, netscape, but haven't used it. I'm a bit computer illiterate. I am already using AOL & MSN. Would I have to pay a monthly charge to use netscape? Toby

There's a browser that's even better than Netscape IMHO, Firefox. It's based on Netscape code but it's updated, open source, and free. Get it here: http://www.mozilla.org

TobyEL Offline OP
OP Offline

Many thanks Scribe!! Toby

No problem! I highly recommend the following two extensions, TabBrowser Extensions and NeedleSearch.

I could never go back to IE after using Firefox.

Last time I tried Mozilla it gave me troublebut I think that was because is was still being tested.

Toby hope you avoid firefox because that one is still being tested. If you are not computer literate I recommend avoiding software that starts with 0. and tells you it's beta or a test release. No doubt this will be an excellent browser once released but not one for computer beginners.

Alex

Good advice as usual, Alex.

There is a difference between the nightly builds that are in active development and the milestone releases. I have to say that 0.8 is very stable. It has an installer/uninstaller and keeps to itself in terms of playing nice with other software.

Of course, it is still beta and there are bugs being reported. I definitely wouldn't recommend the nightly builds to anyone who isn't a programmer, but I've had no problems with the milestone versions.

TobyEL Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Alex & Scribe for your help. Scribe, I do not know what you are talking about. Betta??? LOL I do know that computer lingo is a language in itself. Alex, thank you for stearing me in the right direction. BTW, I tried to right click the links on the front page, but it didn't work, There was no links to the chapters on the first page of Ch. 1. I still think that's a great idea to try out for other computer reading. Thanks, Toby

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved