Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I haven't watched jeopardy as I live in the UK.
Howver the other night on the BBC news night service there was a section from ABC television.
It was about some guy who's won loads on jeopardy (sorry I forget his name).

He said that eevrything fascinated him and that he never let anthing go.If he had an ounce of curiosity then he'd find out and quench his thirst for knowledge.
Sometimes when he didn't know the answer, he'd think for a short time and wait for something to come into his head.

Many times he'd go with his hunch, and his hunch has been correct many many times.

A perfect example of what Alex just said about a leap of faith.

Trust what you feel and go with things.
One very important point from the PR course which I don't hear a lot about on these forums, is the 'different way of thinking' approach.

You'll never make progress if your always going by what you've been using (which hasn't worked so well).
It takes a lot of bravery, commitment and faith to achieve at PR and open up the potential of your mind.

Believe me, I know.

So How would I go about activating an encyclopedia or an almanac of info???
I figure thats the kind of book that these people read.
I have seen that guy win several times he's from utah an i bet he's a photoreader.

He may not be a photoreader, but from all of his intense yet playful study, he probably has a high reading speed or speedreading(maybe). I think the essential part of his knowledge and ability to win was his curiosity and confidence, his scope of interest combined with study brought him a depth of knowledge about many different topics. Since Jeopardy tests so many areas, his wide scope of interest helped him learn more.
Like Paul has said, letting your mind be playful and being interested in the information helps so much with learning that if you posess this then even with reading skills below photoreading, you absorb all you learn, while some photoreaders discard information because they didnt care to remember it.
If you apply photoreading to books that teach a certain skill, chankawo, then you will learn it faster simply because photoreading helps you read that book faster. or, with direct learning, learn and apply a skill quickly. Photoreading is a million times better than not photoreading, by any standard.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

As he mentioned in the interview. He let his curiosity and desire to know lead him.

That's how one would activate any book. Follow your curiosity, that usually determines what you desire to know. From there you form you mind probing questions and activate to bring to consciousness what you want to know.

If you want to be on Jeopardy get curious about everything.

The guy probably is an in intuitive PhotoReader. One who applies the skills without realising or being able to explain how he does it. He probably returns to the same books time and time again glancing over the text and dipping where he finds information that impresses him. This he probably connect to other thoughts and knowledge he has already discovered over time. He certainly isn't rushed in the process. I don't think he set out to be on Jeopardy but wound up there because of his natural knack for learning.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited July 20, 2004).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved