Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42259 07/17/04 04:29 AM
Zen Offline OP
OP Offline

When flipping the pages and chanting I find myself daydreaming, is it necessary to keep your mind on the book? I remember Alex saying something about it but I cant find it in the search. I understand why you cant daydream during super reading and rapid reading but is it important during the PR step considering your not using you conscious mind?

#42260 07/17/04 05:03 AM

I am sure that Alex will put in her official opinion, but I think that Paul suggests that you do a basic chant while you do the PR step. "Re-lax. Re-lax. Keep the state. Turn the page. Re-lax. Re-lax. 1, 2, 3, 4." etc. and over and over. This is to make sure that the "wanderings" or "day dreaming" that you experience don't slip into beta-type thinking, which would disrupt the state. If your mind slipped into more of a theta stream of conscsiousness type focus while you photoread that would probably not be a problem. But, since we are trying to hold ourselves in an ideal state as we input the information into our preconscious processor during the PR stage, it would probably be better to not allow yourself to daydream but rather to use a chant that would suit you.

[This message has been edited by livingsuccess (edited July 17, 2004).]

#42261 07/17/04 01:00 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

The chant is on page 50 of the book. You might notice that livingsuccess has modified it somewhat

The fact of the matter is, a chant or a question repeated over and over for the book or something to keep your mind occupied while you PhotoRead with intention that you take in the information that you PhotoRead has a number of factors that esures better results than daydreaming.

Firstly the chant keeps the conscious mind occupied. While daydreaming does this also it tends to trigger the alpha brainwave pattern which during PhotoReading is suppressed. So if there is Alpha there... you're not PhotoReading. You're giving the non conscious mind permission to disregard it as unimportant.

2nd it's a habit that ensures you are PhotoReading and not just going through the motions. At the PhotoReading Retreat Pete Bissonette told us of his experience with a book that he was supposed to PhotoRead for the camera. Notice I said supposed to. He said he went through the motions but his mind wasn't there and yes nothing went in. He only went through the motion. Pete is an experienced PhotoReader and knew when he closed the book that he goofed but how can a beginner tell?

As a beginner. Daydreaming while PhotoReading is a good clue that the the non conscious mind has been given notice that this isn't important to you, hence the chant. It helps you to come back to [i]see the page[i] and remind the conscious and non conscious mind what it is supposed to be doing right now. By coming back to the chant you didn't miss much, you'll be able to recover those pages with either another PhotoRead or perhaps an extra activation pass.

I know myself if I am getting into the swing of PhotoReading there are some days that I will PhotoRead the first book or 2 again because they didn't go in. I know what my cues are for when it didn't go in.

You'll know your own in time but I strongly suggest you reign in the day dreaming early. Make sure you set your intention.

Sometimes your daydreams could be the answer to your questions that means stop and check. If it's irrelevent to the text, then be honest with yourself you're only going through the motions.

Notice the blip page, see the page, remember your purpose and say the chant (modify it if you want, you can pick another chant or ask your question over and over.) The reason Paul uses that chant, it sets the purpose, intention, occupies the conscious mind and sets the pace for page turning at about 1 page every two seconds.

Alex

#42262 07/17/04 03:55 PM

I always do the chant but it doesn't stop me from daydreaming. How can I make my mind go blank for 5 minutes straight?

#42263 07/17/04 04:08 PM

Ypou don't actually blank. If you're saying the chant and the mind is wandering, wonder what it's telling you... does it relate to the book. There could be some processing going on ther.

Just remember intention needs to be there.. intend to be PhotoReading and taking in the information as per your pre-PhotoReading affirmations. Appreciate the chant as a reminder and your daydreaming stops becoming a focal point. Don't try but intend to PhotoRead and you'll be fine. Daydreams will come and go while you are PhotoReading. it's Okay just remember to return to the book as a mark of your intention so that what you PhotoRead while you were daydreaming raises in importance again.

Personally curiosity about the book serves me best and my chant becomes the question what can the book tell me about....?

Alex.

#42264 07/21/04 10:24 PM
Zen Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the help Alex

#42265 07/22/04 06:46 PM
ked Offline

I frequently think about all sorts of different things while I'm photoreading, usually related to my day or whatever my mind is processing, but if I think about the book, I try to steer clear of it. Sometimes I even stop chanting, but come back to it if I realize what I'm doing.

Do you think the photoreading stage would be more effective if I was more focused and less scattered-brained?

#42266 07/23/04 09:40 AM

Keep PhotoReading with the intention that you get the information out of the book that satisfies your purpose. If you feel you're not getting the results you want, guess what? Your mind is probably wandering off.

What to do to fix? Just PhotoRead 5 to 10 books a day for 2 to 3 months activate at least one of those books per week.

How does this help? Training, confirming your intention that you want to get the information out of the book when you PhotoRead. Does it really take that long? probably not but if you're a PhotoReader just about everything that comes is readable that comes into your vision you will use the bulk of the PhotoReading skills to tackle. Does PhotoReading 5 to 10 books a day seems like a lot of work? It shouldn't and it won't in time. When you know how to PhotoRead the thought of PhotoReading 5 - 10 books in a day seems natural, not an issue naturally you don't need to do it every day.

My Purpose never was to become a profient PhotoReader. My purpose has always been to get at that useful information quickly.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved