Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42496 09/08/04 03:39 AM
Dengus Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone, I’m just after a bit of feedback on whether I’m using this system properly in order to maximize results. I’ve been looking at this forum for a while now and really would just like feedback that applies to my situation.

Anyway, I’ve read the book a couple of times now and have decided to apply it to some post graduate study that I am completing. I’m starting off with the 5 day test just to see what happens, but I’d like to know if I’m doing it right (Mainly the Activation techniques).

Firstly the material I am trying to read is my course notes, this is made up of 4 Units, each with about 6 topics and 3 subtopics (Roughly).

These mainly deal with Leadership, Mediation, Conflict Resolution Effective Communication, and Creative Thinking Techniques. (Just off the top of my head, maybe this PhotoReading stuff actually works)

It contains topic headings and then subheadings with the information contained. Now, this is the method that I’ve been using…Please evaluate.

1)Purpose – I want a general overview of the main concepts with enough detail to enable me to apply the concepts to the activities (questions) without referring to the notes.

2)Preparation – What I do is scan through the table of contents first and read the main topic headings and sub headings. Then I scan through notes and read the topic heading and read all subheadings and whatever is in bold type. (Usually takes around 10-15min as it is 70 pages per unit)

3)PhotoReading – I then try to enter the accelerative learning state and PhotoRead straight after previewing (no breaks) and eventhough I have only done 3 days, I can see the “blip” page and can keep it for the entire PhotoReading session without breaking the state.

4)This is where I’m a bit stuck. Activation – I wait 24 hours before looking at the material again, but in the meantime I try to formulate questions and get Trigger words.

The q’s I ask myself are:
What do I need to know in order to answer the activities?
What are the Key concepts?
What are some creative thinking techniques? (Relates to content)
What are effective leadership skills? (Also Relates to content)

Trigger words are: Leadership, Creative thinking & Team (All are scattered throughout the text)

THEN – I scan through the text, basically in the same way that I previewed it, looking for those trigger words and then quickly reading whats around it.
I have only done this once per night.

That’s all I’m doing at the moment, I think my activation techniques are missing something. I am going to mind map the unit, but I don’t really know enough about the text to be able to do it without going through the notes at the same time. Do you Mind Map with or without looking at the notes?

Sorry about the long post, but I’m more interested in specifics relating to my situation rather than an overview which is in my book.
Thanks in Advance.

#42497 09/08/04 12:46 PM

Purpose
I always like a really strongly felt purpose. Can you see when you are using the information? Can you hear yourself using it and how others are responding? Can you feel how you would feel if you had total mastery of this material?

You purpose can change from activation pass to activation pass. Maybe going from general to specific, or from topic to topic.

Prepare
Sounds like you are only doing the preview. It also sounds like you are spending too long in preview. The preview is to make you only slightly familiar with the material and hopefully increase your curiousity. You haven't mentioned keywords.

PhotoRead
It sounds basically correct. I always feel my purpose then release it then go into accelerated learning state.

Also you didn't mention anything about closing affirmations.

Activation
You should be using the super read and dip. It's not quite the same as scanning. Spend a minute or two to enter state and notice how you feel, scan your entire body. Then start super reading and be aware of your body. Use any bodily or mental trigger you experience and dip. Never question the urge or sign to dip. Accept everyone and thank it. After a while you learn to interpret your triggers.

Definitely mind-map, use lots of colours. Don't worry about what you write. This is not a final copy. You want to do this without consciously filter the information you are recieving. Just let it all our. You can redo it later IF you feel you need to. Personally, this was a tough one for me to relate to. Eventhough I had experience the mental filtering and the breaking through those filters in learning to draw. It is such a powerful feeling when you suddenly are free of the filters and amaze yourself with what you can do.

Here's what you need to know about mind maps. You other than conscious mind LOVES colours, images, shape. Use them freely. Don't save blue for what you think are connection, or black for main points. You can't do something wrong. You just can't. Start with anything, relax and go, and go. Your mind will direct you to the information you want. Maybe you'll think you're wasting time doodling, but let that judgement go and soon you'll understand how it relates to what you what to know.

Remember don't take the notes to seriously. You're supposed to be playing with it. All of it. Including that scary permanent stuff called writing. Hey, try throwing a couple of mind-maps in the garbage after spending 20 minutes on them, just so you feel better about not taking your creation to seriously.

You are perfection.
Iam2

#42498 09/08/04 01:42 PM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Dengus:

1)Purpose – I want a general overview of the main concepts with enough detail to enable me to apply the concepts to the activities (questions) without referring to the notes.

Your purpose needs work. One of the reason activation is not going to work too well here.

Your inner mind likes to be told thing simply and specifically like a 4 year old child.
Concepts? What the heck is a concept and how do you know you got it? Say to a child I want the "concept" of riding a bike they will ask what is a concept? Really what are you going to do with this 'concept' when you have it? That is the purpose... what are you going to do with the information? "So that I do not have to look at the notes" The message you are giving yourself here is "So that I have to look at the notes" The inner mind ignores the negatives it does not have a concept of what 'don't' means

As such you have not really got a purpose for reading and activating the material. So when it comes to activation you are not going to know what to look for. This is reflected in your mind probing question, I will come to that.

For your purpose consider what you will do with the information

quote:
2)Preparation – What I do is scan through the table of contents first and read the main topic headings and sub headings. Then I scan through notes and read the topic heading and read all subheadings and whatever is in bold type. (Usually takes around 10-15min as it is 70 pages per unit)

Sounds like youve combined prepare and preview. Spend no longer than 8 minutes on a preview of a book for 70 pages 3 minutes is enough. Do not throw all the subjects together under one purpose. There is no such thing as one purpose fits all.

quote:
3)PhotoReading – I then try to enter the accelerative learning state and PhotoRead straight after previewing (no breaks) and eventhough I have only done 3 days, I can see the “blip” page and can keep it for the entire PhotoReading session without breaking the state.

Do not "try" it implies that you expect to fail. Just do and accept whatever results you get as being good enough for this round.

quote:
4)This is where I’m a bit stuck. Activation – I wait 24 hours before looking at the material again, but in the meantime I try to formulate questions and get Trigger words.

The q’s I ask myself are:
What do I need to know in order to answer the activities?
What are the Key concepts?
What are some creative thinking techniques? (Relates to content)
What are effective leadership skills? (Also Relates to content)

The questions need work and give you a limited point of view when activating.

"What do I need to know in order to answer the activities?"

Too vague. What are the activites? How will you know when you know if you cannot specifically identify the activities?

"What are the Key concepts?"

Again too vague... how will you know when you see them that you are looking at a key concept? Really what is the point of only knowing a concept if you are studying something? I'd be looking for understanding how this applies to the subject. You realise knowing the concept of something and understanding of something are significantly different. Concepts are vague...you'll only have vague to general activation when you look for a concept. Look for the application of something and you have a more indepth reason for activating.

"What are some creative thinking techniques? (Relates to content).
What are effective leadership skills? (Also Relates to content)."

Now these are activation questions. If your purpose is clear on how you expect to use this material you might not be stuck on merely the "what" questions. You might also be asking How can I know/recognise creative thinking techniques / Leadership skills.
When is it important, when should they apply, Where does one use them. Why do I need to know this. Why is it important... Your purpose swings these activation questions a so that you can reach the outcome you desire.

quote:
Trigger words are: Leadership, Creative thinking & Team (All are scattered throughout the text)

They are fine.

quote:
THEN – I scan through the text, basically in the same way that I previewed it, looking for those trigger words and then quickly reading whats around it.
I have only done this once per night.

Ouch, the method you used for previewing was merely to get an idea for the style, structure and order of the text. When it comes to activation start at the logical place where the answers are to be found, your inner mind can be the guide or table of content or index. Start superreading and dipping. If you are only scanning you are short changing yourself of activation. If superreading is difficult and it often is on technical material us skittering. This will make subsequent activation much more productive.

quote:
That’s all I’m doing at the moment, I think my activation techniques are missing something. I am going to mind map the unit, but I don’t really know enough about the text to be able to do it without going through the notes at the same time. Do you Mind Map with or without looking at the notes?

Try activating in blocks of 20 minutes if your activation questions were clear then you will be able to mind map most of the answers after an activation pass. It is okay to glance back at the notes to get things clear again. If you have trouble finding it quickly consider adding it to the next activation pass. This helps to move the information into long term memory so getting it right on paper the first time is not the point it is about building it so that it can become long term memory stuff.

As shoddy as they may be I've never thrown out my first mind maps as for me they serve as better triggers for recall than the pretty redrawn ones.

Alex

#42499 09/09/04 09:51 PM

hai alex,
superb explanation just kiddin are you a black belt in PR ?
I am done with questions and i think each an activation pass for me to cover the most likely tested and important areas from the perspective of question writer and

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved