Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42520 09/12/04 05:13 AM
Mark-11 Offline OP
OP Offline

It's widely accepted that the subconscious does not recognise negatives. The affirmation "I will NOT do xxxx" would be interpreted by the subconscious as "I will do xxxx".

I have noticed that as I develop my PR skills, on some occasions I have missed the meaning of a paragraph with a negative in it and have interpreted the exact opposite.

Given that PR directs to the subconscious how can I avoid this?

Paradoxically the better I become at PR in terms of rate of info. absorption the more the errors in negatives seem to kick in.

I've found that the solution is to slow down but this defeats the purpose.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Mark.

#42521 09/12/04 12:05 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

The question is when or how did you notice that you understood the opposite? What was your cue to pic up the error? The non conscious mind prompting you to go back?

quote:
he affirmation "I will NOT do xxxx" would be interpreted by the subconscious as "I will do xxxx".

Is actually incorrect. The subconsious does know how to interpret it but it cannot change it or create the reversal.

The fact of the matter is the inner mind does not know how to handle the negatives *not* *don't* etc when you are affirming something however it is aware that something other than what is being affirmed is desired It just doen't know what the opposite is. It uderstands fully what you mean by "don't cross the road and manages to get a image of not crossing the road". However where the thought didn't exist the crossing the road part starts to run a movie reel in the mind and sooner or later one does cross the road.

The inner mind requires something to replace the image so that it can keep a handle on *not* crossing the road, (stay on this side of the road) because once the mind stop talking it only sees the pictures.

The fact is the mind does recognise that this is **not** what you want however in trying to get an image of you **not** smoking it needs to create the image of you smoking and that is where it gets stuck. There is no image for unsmoking (new word ). It has nothing to to replace the image with. Believe me, if you say "I Don't want broccoli" the mind understand, otherwise you'd be eating it instead of pushing off your plate or hiding it in your glass of milk.

Self talk that you are missing the **not** **don'ts** is just telling your mind that is okay to goof up. In a sense you are saying yourself don't miss the negatives. You won't for a short while but then it starts happening the mind is playing over and over the image of skipping the negatives. You do see them so tell yourself to be aware of them in your affirmations. I notice the negatives that changes the sentence. I am immediately aware of sentences are are ambiguous etc. After all why should you miss them when you are activating faster and not slower? It's just what you tell yourself. I notice them when I read slower. How about, 'I notice them when I read faster'?

Alex

#42522 09/15/04 10:54 PM
Mark-11 Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex,

I think its very interesting what you say here about self talk and I think this could be a cause of me occasionally experiencing misinterpretation when photo reading – quite simply because I’ve labelled myself as doing so.

Interestingly, on the occasions that I have experienced misinterpretation, I’ve had a niggling feeling that something wasn’t quite right, the kind of feeling you get if you leave your house and have forgotten to switch something off; like you say, the non-conscious mind prompting to go back.

Thanks for your advice!

Mark.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved