Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#42660 10/05/04 06:43 PM
OP Offline

Is it ok to quickly look at each paragraph and all the words, say looking for words i dont know and verifyifg that all the words are known to me. Is this decent for activation?

#42661 10/05/04 08:55 PM
OP Offline

So i looked over 363 pages, pretty sure i looked at all the words.. took less than 2 hours. I didnt really notice anything but maybe next time i will. Any comments?

#42662 10/06/04 02:33 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

So... what the purpose? What's the point of that if you have no real purpose?

Alex

#42663 10/07/04 05:38 AM
OP Offline

Well im not to sure about what to do and say or ask of my propose cuz im not sure if its detailed enough.

The book i am trying to photoread is called
Windows Server 2003 Weekend Crash Course.

As for my so called purpose I would like to know whats contained in the book such say setting up and configuring the servers abilites and understand more of its capibilites. I would like to know it well enough that i can take that the knowledge from this book and others related but of more specific and technical information and take a test on it and hopefully pass the exam.

I tried looking at the table of contents to see get an idea of whats contained in the book. I have read other books about a year ago such as MCSE training kits 70-210 Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server 70-215, Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure 70-216.

Now from those i see when looking at this other book that i seem to know much about it or of the topics it covers. But I would still like more indepth and specific information regarging most or rather probably all the topics covered.. i would like to be able to look at any and all the lines contained in the 2003 course and understand what that sentance or idea is conveying. Im not sure how to go about this.

I am new at photoreading obviously and i prolly need to practice more and im not sure what exactly to expect. In my attempt to photoread this 2003 course i tried with my purpose and then photoread it normal and upside down and then normal once again.. i waited like 2 days and then attempted to look over each page in attempt to rapid read and didnt really notice anything then as i said yesterday i tried looking over all the words in the paragrahps and still didnt notice anything, i look over the review questions in the book and cant exactly anwser them..

I might be doing this wrong and need to try again. I have hundreds of books i wish to read but i feel that i dont have the time and it would be like wasting my time if i tried normally (im sure the books would be out of date and id be an old man) and with this photoreading it seems to help my situation or would help but im not sure on what im doing exactly.. its like going through the dark but hopefully one day i might find this lightswitch. I know play with it.. im trying. But my menthod or purpose seems off i dont understand how to work with purposes since i guess i never really did it before.. before i would read normally and just be interested in the topic of the book and have an idea of what it contained, but i think with purposes it contantly changes and i have to work with it as i go but im not sure how to go with it cuz i dont know how to feel and work with it and like i said i dont know what to expect from photoreading.

Do you have any suggestions as to help my situation?

Thank you much

Tek

#42664 10/06/04 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tektonik:

such say setting up and configuring the servers abilites and understand more of its capibilites. I would like to know it well enough that i can take that the knowledge from this book and others related but of more specific and technical information and take a test on it and hopefully pass the exam.

There lies a big problem. You don't know what you want from the book and cannot activate accordingly. Youre being vague and just looking and verfiying all the words are known to you?????? In a studying a language that might be a resonable course of action but it in no way is going to activate the book even towards your vague purpose.

Ask the Author questions about the subject that you need to know in order to successfuly fulfil your purpose.

If you're learning to PhotoRead and especially if you are learning on your own first hone the skill on non technical books that interest you. Apply the 5 day test from page 76 of the PhotoReading book. Do all the steps they are summarised near the back of the book. Consider drawing (not photocopy, draw) the mind map to remind you of all the steps.

Alex

#42665 10/06/04 11:32 PM
OP Offline

Well thank you for the suggestion i do agree with you that it would probably be better with a fictitious book than these technical books. I have hundreds of technical books and no fictional books Perhaps i should see about getting a library card and aquiring several books from the library and before i do i think i should go over the photoreading book a few times more. I do really hope i can produce results with the photoreading system for my technical books cuz im feeling rather overwhelmed at the moment.

Regards,
Tek

#42666 10/06/04 11:49 PM

Tek,

I photoread technical info all the time and it does help to have a clear purpose, i.e. a problem (or should I say challenge) to solve.

If your intention is to pass an exam then PR previous exam papers first then photo read the book(s) with the intention of finding the answers to the questions.

If you can't get a hold of previous exam papers then pretend that you want to set an exam paper yourself (a really difficult one). PR the book(s) then set about constructing your own exam paper. You'll learn a lot that way.

Mark.

#42667 10/07/04 12:54 AM
OP Offline

I understand purpose is very important but i must state that i am very unskilled in this area and i dont know how to go about asking these questions or what questions im asking or how my brain or whatever works to asking these questions. I dont know! I think there needs to be a more indepth article or document on setting purposes with many many instances of purposes or questions as examples. I dont know the rules of setting purposes. Perhaps they are really easy but i just dont know cuz i havnt used em before.

Tek

#42668 10/07/04 02:24 PM

That's why it's important to play with non-technical non fiction books first. It helps you to learn the system fastest and to understand having a purpose for reading.

When you have a purpose you are looking for something so that you can do something.

A purpose is along the lines of, I am saving money so that I can take a holiday.

I am studying Law so that I can become a lawyer.

I am studying computer technology so that I can get a job the help desk for computing support in my company.

I am reading a cook book on how to cook fish so that I can cook the fish I caught.

I am reading this book on real estate so that I can invest in rental property profitably.

Those are examples of a purpose. The more specific you are the faster you find what you are looking for.

E.G. I am looking for a recipe for mullet that is quick and easy so that I can serve it for dinner tonight. Is going to bring faster and more direct results toward the purpose than the general purpose of I am reading a cook book on how to cook fish so that I can cook the fish I caught.

Alex

#42669 10/08/04 05:28 AM
OP Offline

So than from my conception, tell me if im wrong, correct, and put me straight.

Photoreading is like looking at the questions in a book and then going back through the book to find the awnsers contained in the book?
(i kinda associate that with cheating for some reason.) But if it is, then when i actually locate the section of text where my awnser is, when i come upon it, do i read it normally or would i just kinda know what it says?

So than im just looking for anwsers to questions i generate and if necessary keep generating questions?

But i have somthing to help me locate these anwsers to my questions (which is the power of my sub-conscious) from doing this photoreading and the menthods of activation are what? tools to help me locate or rather quickly go through the book and locate the text to which my question resides and get a feeling or signal from my subconscious that the anwser is contained there and that i should check that spot?

I assumed there was somthing operating here besides that, like some magical thing that would actually get me to know the book contents of the whole book in a much faster time than going through it normally like i thought that i could photoread a book and then somewhat know whatever questions or contents i needed to, cuz i think from tv i saw an ad once and there was a guy i think it was pete from what i can put together.. he was photoreading a computer screen and than was directly asked questions so i assumed that you can do this as such and i was thinking that i could photoread a book and then just look at the books text and contents and know what every paragrah or sentence contained and maybe you can with time.

Whats you view on this?

Regards,
Tek

[This message has been edited by tektonik (edited October 07, 2004).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved