Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#42670 10/08/04 05:42 AM

Teltonik; you need to know what it is that you want from the book. This is why you are having problems because you have not established what is it that you want from the book. This is what Alex is talking about when she says what is your purpose?This is why when you were going through the book looking at paragraphs nothing really happened because you did not tell your brain what you wanted from the book and when you tried to activate your brain had no idea what you wanted from the book. So think what is it that you want to know about servers? Do you want to know how servers work? Do you want to repair servers?Be very specific with your purpose. Be very clear and strong on what you want to get from the book and then your brain will recognize the things in the book that are related to what you want from the book but you have to tell your brain first what it is that i am wanting to get from this book.

Photoreading is not magic but is very powerful. You are not cheating. If you wanted a apple would you go through every aisle in the supermarket to get the apple?of course not you would go to the produce section find the apple and go. If you were looking for Lawerence Smith in the telephone book would you look at every single Smith in the telephone book? Of course not. You would scan until you got to the Smiths with the letter L until you found Lawerence Smith. You would not look at Albert Smith Charles Smith Donald Smith.You would go directly to the information that you needed. You do the same thing with activation. You go directly to the information but you must first tell your brain what the information is that you are looking for.
Photoread4me

#42671 10/08/04 06:39 AM
OP Offline

I feel i could do a better job that way own my own just perusing the book and checking out things that interested me. So i feel there is somthing im missing and i still dont understand.

#42672 10/08/04 06:54 AM

Tektonik; Photoreading will not work without a purpose. Purpose is crucial and key to the Photoreading system. You feel you will miss something? You can do multiple passes over the book and will get much,much,more than trying to get everything. Remember that in a book only 20 percent of the book is going to carry the most key important concepts or ideas of the book. I am just curious; i want to really know what you thought of my analogy when i was referring to the apple in the supermarket and looking for Lawerence Smith in the telephone book. Post back tommorrow i did not hear any response from you to that analogy and would like to know how you felt about that analogy.
Photoread4me.

#42673 10/08/04 06:58 AM

Tektonik; you are missing something because your purpose needs to be established.
Photoread4me

#42674 10/08/04 07:02 AM
OP Offline

Well my understanding of that is that the supermarket refers to the contents of the book and perhaps all the items in the store are the ideas or thoughts conveyed in sentances or what not and that if i am to go to the store to buy somthing i should have a purpose, know what i am after and get it. but then that means im looking for somthing specific and i have to know what im looking for exactly, what if i dont know.

why do the photoreading thing when i can just look over the book myself normally and see what it is that i want to know?

I dont understand how this photoreading system is supposed to help me out or make a difference from just looking through the book and finding what interests me and what i might want to know more about.

[This message has been edited by tektonik (edited October 08, 2004).]

#42675 10/08/04 01:06 PM

Here is a thought. You mentioned that you had read a number of other books on this subject. Then that you had bought this book "***Weekend Crash Course". Finally you said you wanted to get "more in depth information" on this subject.

I have taken classes in the past and whenever they were a "cram course" or "crash course", the main purpose is not "in depth understanding". It was only to get the main or most important concepts to function in or with a subject or to just pass a test. A specific purpose was inherent to the design of the course.

A) Having read the other books on the same types of material made you familiar with the vocabulary of the subject beforehand. So it was unlikely you would find any other single words or perhaps concepts that would be unfamiliar.

B) Looking for in depth knowledge from a book designed to not really supply in depth knowledge but just a broad understanding of subject was in retrospect not such a good idea. Probably one of the best things about Photoreading is that it will help us to determine if a book is really worth the effort to read it or study it more intensely at all. In other words will it really help me get where I want to go. It sounds like this one won't help you there. So the fault is not so much with PR but with the choice of the reading material.

Also, the perusing you mentioned IS a part of the PR system. You just may have been using it naturally all along. Now the rest of the system will help you go to the next level in your ability to quickly assimilate information.

C) Your focus could be; if you want to go over this book again very briefly; to find out if the are any new concepts or techniques that would add to your knowledge of this subject or expertise in the field. Of course state it as succinctly as you can before getting into the book. See if that helps identify what you could benefit from in this book.

Also, when you begin activating the material if nothing jumps out, then this book didn't really add to you kowledge base at all. It only went over things you were already familiar with.

D) Finally, it also sounds like you already have a good understanding of the topic and now you need to use the information for some purpose and find out where you need to shore up your knowledge by some trial and error or develop work. It will verify what you already know and highlight or expose areas you may want to pursue more specifically.

Alex's comments about taking the example exams and Photoreading them and then going back over your library on the subject will help do just that. Then try taking the sample exams as if you were sitting for it for real. You'll probably find it very revealing.

#42676 10/08/04 04:29 PM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

quote:
Originally posted by tektonik:
So than from my conception, tell me if im wrong, correct, and put me straight.

Photoreading is like looking at the questions in a book and then going back through the book to find the awnsers contained in the book?
(i kinda associate that with cheating for some reason.) But if it is, then when i actually locate the section of text where my awnser is, when i come upon it, do i read it normally or would i just kinda know what it says?

If it's in the book and is the answer how can it be cheating? The book is not a test paper it is a reference source. PhotoReading isn't a test on your skill on find the the answer faster by other means than looking in the index or table of content. PhotoReading is about using exactly that when it is available. Tradtional reading requires that you start at the front and work your way to the back and forget what you read at the front of the book before you get to the end. The Table of Content is never really used for more than an inbuilt bookmark in traditional reading.

The author wrote the book to explain some things from his or her point of view. Because the text takes on a linear form it had to be put into some sort of order but that doesn't mean you have to travel in that order to get to your destination. Like looking at a map your purpose is to get to your goal by the shortest route starting from where you are at.

It's the same with the book. What do you want to be able to do first. Look at the content and go there. It's not cheating to tell the author to cut the chatter and tell you where the out house is if that is what you want right now.

When it comes to dipping apply rhythmic perusal for a phrase or 2, perhaps a sentence or occasionally it might be a paragraph or two.

quote:
So than im just looking for anwsers to questions i generate and if necessary keep generating questions?

Without questions you are a passive reader hoping that something sticks. This is how most people apply traditional reading.

quote:
But i have somthing to help me locate these anwsers to my questions (which is the power of my sub-conscious) from doing this photoreading and the menthods of activation are what? tools to help me locate or rather quickly go through the book and locate the text to which my question resides and get a feeling or signal from my subconscious that the anwser is contained there and that i should check that spot?

Or turn chapter headings and subheading into questions. You can guess where you would find the answer when you do that.

quote:
I assumed there was somthing operating here besides that, like some magical thing that would actually get me to know the book contents of the whole book in a much faster time than going through it normally like i thought that i could photoread a book and then somewhat know whatever questions or contents i needed to, cuz i think from tv i saw an ad once and there was a guy i think it was pete from what i can put together.. he was photoreading a computer screen and than was directly asked questions so i assumed that you can do this as such and i was thinking that i could photoread a book and then just look at the books text and contents and know what every paragrah or sentence contained and maybe you can with time.

Did you also notice that Pete was asked questions about the book? It doesn't matter who asks the questions but without questions you don't create or find answers. Without questions one cannot demonstrate their knowledge.

Also when Pete PhotoRead that text he had a purpose to answer the questions that are going to be asked of him. He pays attention to the images that come up in his mind.

As a beginner you would get your reading done to the same level of comprehension or better than traditional reading in 1/3 the time it takes to read the book. With experience you'll greatly reduce the time.

If you want to do what Pete did you would have to do what Pete did to learn it as well.

PhotoRead 10 books a day and activate at least one book per week for about 3 months. With a sense of curiosity to see what could happen without creating rules that it has to be experienced a certain way.

Alternately you can PhotoRead 3 to 5 books a day for 2 months and greatly improve your manual activation, getting through books in 1/5th to 1/10th the time it takes to traditionally read.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited October 08, 2004).]

#42677 10/09/04 05:03 AM
OP Offline

DanR,

Those books that I read before, I only read once or twice straight through and still need more understanding in them but in this 2003 course I see some of the things I would like to know more in depth that I didn’t in the 2000 books, I was where these were when looking though the book trying to activate and what not but I wasn’t sure if it should just come to me or if I would have to actually read it.. I kind of thought the understanding would come from within.

A) I did find a few terms or abbreviations that I didn’t know.. I somewhat know some of them now.

B) What I meant from in depth was information that I didn’t clearly understand from those 2000 books before or concepts I know of but don’t have a solid understanding of.

As for the perusing, I know what it is and I don’t use it.. I don’t use it to achieve my goals i always kept to reading the whole book normally in the past straight through in fear of not understanding or missing something. But I’m guessing it might be a good idea to try that instead.

C) I think a few things would be worth looking over.. but how do I know if I missed something, something I might have wished to know about but didn’t know it existed, perhaps something buried in the text.. cause I don’t want to be stuck reading the whole thing through.

D) I have many exam sheets and testing software but haven’t used it yet.

--

I’m still kind of unclear on something though... since its to look through the book and see what I want, why cannot I just do it without the photo reading? where does this photo reading come in and actually give benefit vs. just looking through the book and then deciding what I want out of it and whatever catches my attention by perusing.. cause I’ve somewhat had that experience before I knew of photo reading but never used it cause I didn’t think I was getting all the understanding because I didn’t read the whole thing.

Thanks for you assistance,
Tek

#42678 10/09/04 05:17 AM
OP Offline

Alex, Mark-11, photoread4me and DanR

Thank you all very much for your assistance in trying to bring to me understanding of the system, I will save this page for reference and take your advice and try this anew. I am confident that I will do better this time cause I have had such helpful people to go over my concerns and misunderstandings with. If I have anymore questions after trying the many suggestions you all have given me please don’t be afraid to see my name on the bulletin board.

Again Thank you all very much for your time patience and assistance,

TektoniK

#42679 10/09/04 05:33 AM

Tektonik; you are making progress!Your response to the supermarket question was brilliant! It was just what i wanted to hear. You should know what you are looking for before starting activation. If you do not know what you are looking for come up with at least one thing that you want to get from the book. You can add more things or adjust your purpose as you go through the book.

Let me explain the advantage of Photoreading. One part of your brain, the other than conscious mind is capable of handling 20,000 things at the same time. This is the part of the brain that is employed in Photoreading.The other part of your brain the conscious mind can attend to only 6 to 7 things going on at the same time. The advantage of Photoreading is that you have the material from the book you photoread operating on both the conscious and other than conscious levels. Learning is easier when you have the book operating on both the other than conscious level and the conscious level and you would not attain that with just regular everyday reading.

One last note. You don't have to get it all on the very first pass. That is the old elementary school way i must read it, comprehend it all and get it all on the very first pass. You do not have to do it that way. You get some information on the first pass. You come back later get more information on the next pass. Then you come back again later and get more information again. You will find that you will get much more from the book this way and your learning will be more effective.
Photoread4me

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved